Yamaha YXZ Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
133 Posts
Does running e85 kill your driving range? I'm going to glamis with e50 and im curious of how far I'll be able to go
It depends on your definition of "kill", but E50 will noticeably reduce your fuel efficiency. If you were "Running on fumes" when you came back to camp on E10/E0, you will be not running on E50/E85.

The facts are the facts. Near pure ethanol, per volume, contains about 30% less energy than near pure gasoline. E10 contains about 3% less energy than near-pure gasoline. The graph of the difference is linear, so E50 is going to be about 15% less and E85 is going to be about 25.5% less energy.

Those energy numbers don't take into account efficiency gains, like higher compressions and more timing you can run with the higher octane E50/E85, but those gains won't offset much of the loss.

And, on our Ys, if you don't tune for high ethanol content, you will be getting 0mpg and a melted piston.

· Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It depends on your definition of "kill", but E50 will noticeably reduce your fuel efficiency. If you were "Running on fumes" when you came back to camp on E10/E0, you will be not running on E50/E85.

The facts are the facts. Near pure ethanol, per volume, contains about 30% less energy than near pure gasoline. E10 contains about 3% less energy than near-pure gasoline. The graph of the difference is linear, so E50 is going to be about 15% less and E85 is going to be about 25.5% less energy.

Those energy numbers don't take into account efficiency gains, like higher compressions and more timing you can run with the higher octane E50/E85, but those gains won't offset much of the loss.

And, on our Ys, if you don't tune for high ethanol content, you will be getting 0mpg and a melted piston.
I have 9.5-1 pistons and 1050cc injectors and a walbro 255 fuel pump and 18psi boost . And my wot afr is 10. It pulls smooth but I haven't been to the desert yet and I can't really drive it in my neighborhood

member: 25391"]
But don’t do e50 min e85
[/QUOTE]
Why do you say that?

· Registered
315 Posts
Speaking with a friend at 20psi, on E85 you are going to use about 30 percent more fuel.

I know some of the 38 psi Packard guys that are on E85 in Glamis on full tank can go from Gecko, to vendors row and maybe couple shots up the hill, and enough to get back to Gecko before having to fuel up again.... If that info helps any lol. So yes, e85 kills your driving range the higher the boost levels.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts