Yamaha YXZ Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone familiar with ECM’s. Flash vs Stock? Etc. and willing to take some questions. Anyone, willing to help me understand it all better.....

·
Registered
90 Posts
Ecm updates can raise the rev limiter, lower the temp the fans come on, increase fuel delivery, change timing curve. They have to build them from the factory to pass emissions the aftermarket doesn't have to worry about that so can reset things to run better with more power and adjust for modifications. Anything else you'd like to know?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ecm updates can raise the rev limiter, lower the temp the fans come on, increase fuel delivery, change timing curve. They have to build them from the factory to pass emissions the aftermarket doesn't have to worry about that so can reset things to run better with more power and adjust for modifications. Anything else you'd like to know?
That makes perfect sense - And I appreciate the response.

will flashing a stock bike help with the power curve?

obviously upping the rev limiter and running cooler is good. How much more performance will you actually get in a stock machine?

·
Registered
90 Posts
I myself have never done a stock machine, but I would imagine it would make it run smoother and with different timing and fuel curves give it a little more zip. Maybe someone who has done one will chime in. If you are planning on doing mods later you might consider buying the hardware that lets you reflash one ecm with a laptop or home computer as many times as you want. Most of these come with premade maps you can install and let you tweak them or make your own. These are "Married" to one ecm, meaning you can only reprogram the original ecm it was used for. At $300 a pop to have one flashed by a company time and time again it would get expensive. But if you don't feel like you are ready to get into tuning that far the guys like Alba, Weller, Graves all have spot on flashes for whatever you need.

If I were going to flash a totally stock machine I would add a aftermarket spark arrester. It's a 5 minute job, costs $100 and will give you a much more free flowing exhaust with just a few decibles of extra sound. I think this would give you the best performance improvement for minimal cost.

·
Registered
38 Posts
hey there you can get on www.fastlabutv.com and get the weller reflash or the dynojet powervision 3. the powervision is not just a reflash, its a piggyback diagnostic tool that lets you not only monitor all ecu readouts, but load multiple tunes and try different set ups while letting you adjust parameters as well.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone for taking the time to explain how this works. Team alba spark arrestor is a great suggestion for someone like me... who might just want a little more. I didn’t see if it was recommended to flash with the alba arrestor? Is that the suggestion?
Cost vs performance is worth it? If so, it is very doable.
Thanks again for the input.
just a happy trail fun run type rider here. So don’t need to go 100mph in .07 seconds. So again thank you!

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
These cars run very lean so it’s recommended to re flash when just changing the muffler so removing the stock tip will also lean it out . Do the tip and re flash it will run so much better

·
Registered
5 Posts
Has anybody installed a flash tune kit from Revzilla, I'm getting conflicting info from FT Ecu about needing two licenses, one for the engine and one for the trans. Revzilla does not mention the trans and their rep told me to talk to FT Ecu. Is the trans flash necessary?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Has anybody installed a flash tune kit from Revzilla, I'm getting conflicting info from FT Ecu about needing two licenses, one for the engine and one for the trans. Revzilla does not mention the trans and their rep told me to talk to FT Ecu. Is the trans flash necessary?
i would stick with companies that support the models and have a lot of R&D behind them. we carry weller and the dynojet tunes, both companies have done their research and we have had great results with both. off the top of my head, i would recommend these companies, in no particular order:
weller
dynojet (trinity)
alba
DLP
Mott Motorsports
Casey Hauck/Hauck POwersports
dasa

i would stay away from vivid, agency and packard....but thats just me.

·
Registered
614 Posts
I visited the FT ECU site and it will cost you $495 for the engine/tranny bench kit which includes a license for one ECU. It clearly states that you need an additional license for the other ECU. So you have to buy one additional license above what the kit comes with from FT to do both. As to whether the tranny ECU is required, I would think not, but I do not have an SS.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks, I'm trying to figure out what the trans controller does and where it is located. So far I have not found it. I believe that Yamaha calls it the motor controller but the manual does not show a location.

·
Registered
90 Posts
It's called the MCU, it controlls shifting. Is located on the drivers side, you can access it through the front drivers side mudgaurd. Seem to remember you can pull 3 of the rad shroud bolts for access also but not sure. It can be reprogrammed to shift like the 2019+. They say twice as fast as stock and they can also increase the rpms that it will down shift at. I know my 20 shifts instantly have never owned a 16,17 or 18 ss only a three pedal so I can't comment if it is that much different. I myself wouldn't want to raise the downshift for how i use mine. Just think it is harder on the machine, but I don't redline mine when I shift either.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks, I just want to make it less lean so I really don't need the trans program. Mine is a '20 SS

·
Registered
2017 YXZ1000R SS SE, DMC Afterburner Comp.Exhaust, Graves plates, FTECU, Custom Cage, Roof, LT Bar
18 Posts
I bought a 2017 with a full exhaust and graves block off plates. It ran really well but had some backfire on shift so I pulled the plugs and found it was running lean. It only had 25 hours on it so I opted to spend the money to finish the updates.

I went with the FT ECU bench option because I can flash my MCU down the road if I choose to but for now I just loaded the Graves full system ECU flash and it runs great. The great thing about the FT ECU flash kit is you can try different flash options from the pre-loaded maps or build your own if you have the time and are open to the risk of tweaking your timing to optimize HP.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts