Yamaha YXZ Forums banner

Engine doesn’t over heat but runs warm

3K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  sandman89 
#1 ·
Just bought a 2017 yxz SS SE. it’s got 1200 miles and 90 hours on it. The guy I bought it from relocated the radiator to the rear of the machine. It looks like he went with the Jeep radiator and it sit low in the bed. It has 3 fans on it (only 2 are wired up and working currently) There is also a flip windshield on the machine. The issue I’m having is that when driving down the road 65 mph coolant temp is about 230 degrees with the windshield flipped down. If I have the windshield flipped up and get more air flow it drop it all the way down to 195. I’m just curious what guys are doing that have rear mounted radiator and full windshields. I really like having the windshield so I was hoping to find a way to make it work. Maybe air deflectors to get more air across the radiator?

#3 ·
Do the fans come on? If so, make sure they are turning in the right direction. Fans generally work better in one direction than the other.

#4 ·
2 Fans are turning on, I’m planning on wiring up the 3rd one to a switch for manual control. The radiator is probably 12 inches tall and the width of the bed so I would think it’s got the capacity. I really feel like I’m just needing to route some air to the radiator around the windshield.

#5 ·
Before doing anything too strenuous I'd make sure that the simple things are right. Next on the list is to make sure there aren't any air pockets in the system. If the previous owner left any high points in the hoses there could be an air pocket restricting flow. Typically, guys will just keep squeezing the hoses to burp the system.

I started using a tool like this a couple of years ago. It's awesome.
Vacuum Coolant Fill Tool

That one is from China, but I picked up a used name brand one for about that price used.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.