Yamaha YXZ Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took a plunge off a dune that resulted in one endo followed by the car finishing on right side. Righted the car and after changing out a tie rod end and resetting a tire bead, I was back underway but the engine runs rough as though it’s missing on a cylinder. Still develops full power and spent the rest of the day riding normally, but at idle and most of the RPM range It sounds like it’s missing until you get it turning up to higher RPMs. Alba SBD with cam, no turbo. No engine lights or codes, changed out all the plugs and the fuel pump seems to be operating normally. The vehicle never stopped in the upside down position and nothing other than sand ever touched the engine. Any thoughts on where others would start on diagnosing what the issue is? Thanks.

· Registered
1,093 Posts
Could be an ignition coil is going bad. That would be my first guess given everything else you have done. I have had them go intermittent. You can continuity check them, but that may not detect an intermittent issue. How many miles on it?

· Registered
117 Posts
Interesting, I did the same and mine idles way high sometimes and surges after a similar accident. I just wait a few seconds and it goes away. I bought new plugs but have not replaced them yet to see if that helps. Same setup minus the cams.

· Registered
406 Posts
Are all your throttle bodies on properly? They're known to pop off, air box fully in tact? All hoses?

Take it into a dealer and pay a diagnostic charge, they'll tell you what it is. Small fee for peace of mind, chasing ghosts.

· Registered
117 Posts
I sprayed ether around my connections for the air box and idle never jumped. I am about to take it on another trip. I have put 400 miles on it since. I thought it might be related to lugging it with the heavy flywheel on mine. I will probably change the plugs this weekend.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts