Yamaha YXZ Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So during a ride today on the trail there was a swampier of a hole that didn’t look nearly as deep as it was. Entered the water hole on the trail as any other slow and with care. Once in it, it was way deeper than I ever expected. The whole engine was swamped with the Alba exhaust pipe fully under water. The engine was still running the whole entire time, and made sure the air intake was out of the water, and checked the air filter box also. But the center arm rest was fully under water as well as we attempted to keep the engine running and to get it pulled out ASAP. Since then right after the engine did not run right at all. It definitely was missing what I thought one cylinder but then I could tell it was going in and out on two cylinders. Every once and awhile while trying to get back to a main road, the third cylinder would kick back in for a second. Then just ultimately it just ran if at all on one cylinder. Decided to shut it down and tow it out. I plan on trying tomorrow to unplug the injectors to dry out. But does anyone think that I might be missing something or should look into further?

·
Registered
173 Posts
As long as the engine stayed running and the air box was dry you should be fine on the engine side. I would think the water might affect the electrical system though.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Sounds to me if u was under for min may have gotten a little water in the gas vent. Can’t remember exactly how high that line is

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the reply’s. I know it’s an electrical issue. I was losing my Intercom that’s mounted in the center console, because that was almost under water also. Along with the whole arm rest where the electrical is plus computer. But was seeing if there is anything that I missed. Gonna try it when I get home tonight to see if it pops over and idles normal. And if that happens change all the fluids. But the air box was dry so that was the best part of it. Only a 1/4 cup or less of water was in the primary air box. And pulled both vents from both air box’s as well and no water in the secondary so bonus there. Just hoping that it will dry out and clear the electrical short that was being grounded out for the two dead cylinders. It was just weird that it mainly after keeping it running the whole time while under water and out of the water to clear the exhaust that you could hear that one cylinder was down and then the second was in and out, but would come back with very brief moments the third cylinder would kick in. And then ultimately only ran on one cylinder till we de sided to shut it down 100% and tow it out.

but one more quick question I haven’t researched it yet. But are the spark plugs under what looks like the injectors retention caps? I could not see those anywhere. Not like a Raptor 700 where that is super obvious.

But thanks for any suggestions that you have. It’s greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
292 Posts
The plugs are centered in the valve cover. Those are the ignition coils on top that are bolted to the cover. They are coil on plug pull the coil and the plug is down under.
Best of luck.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The plugs are centered in the valve cover. Those are the ignition coils on top that are bolted to the cover. They are coil on plug pull the coil and the plug is down under.
Best of luck.
question for you. Whatare your thoughts of the ignition coils or possibey the spark plugs being grounded from being under water completely. I attempted to start it last night and it would not fire at all. It does turn over and pop. I’m going to replace the fuel filter, drain all the gas out. But looking to see if there is anything that you might have had experience with there is nothing out there on this Issue at all.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I believe if water in the tank it would settle to the bottom. Only reason I assumed water in tank was my buddies talon stayed under a while a few weekends ago and it finally quit and he had a gallon or so of water in the tank.
We ended up draining what we could, adding sea foam and good gas. After it would fire on 1 cylinder occasionally but eventually worked its way out.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just giving an update here. Today I pulled the fuel pump out. There was definitely water in there. But also there was mud. Not even sure sure how’s that’s possible. Heavy sand, and dirt was packed on the fuel filter. So going to replace fuel filter. Removed the gas tank, cleaned and dried it out. Pulled the gas line from the fuel rail. So once new fuel filter is installed, then I’m going to flush the fuel line. And I am also being extra cautious and replacing the spark plugs as well. Hoping injectors are still ok. Will let everyone know. How it goes.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Just giving an update here. Today I pulled the fuel pump out. There was definitely water in there. But also there was mud. Not even sure sure how’s that’s possible. Heavy sand, and dirt was packed on the fuel filter. So going to replace fuel filter. Removed the gas tank, cleaned and dried it out. Pulled the gas line from the fuel rail. So once new fuel filter is installed, then I’m going to flush the fuel line. And I am also being extra cautious and replacing the spark plugs as well. Hoping injectors are still ok. Will let everyone know. How it goes.
Looks like you were under for a bit. If u haven’t already I’d check diffs and oil for water too.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Glad to hear you found a problem. It is a PITA when you look and look and don't find anything. Hopefully this gets you back on track.

·
Registered
292 Posts
For sure best of luck. Sounds like a lot of stuff found it's way in. Maybe investigate that too while you have it apart. Maybe it needs a filter on the vent line or something.

Maybe a float valve added. Lol.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts