Yamaha YXZ Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I had my exhaust header ceramic coated with Cerakote Glacier Titanium. See Cerakote - CERAKOTE GLACIER TITANIUM

That was the color I chose to try and match with Yamahas Titanium Bronze on the 2020 XTR. Looked like a great match on their website with the samples under different lighting conditions. It's definitely not the same color in person. I'm happy with it though. It's off color enough to not be the same but looks good in its own right. It is rated for exhaust temps up to 1800 degrees F and thermal shock from those temperatures directly into water. Four pics attached showing the original state of the factory header on the machine and off, another showing the header after just being coated and the final one installed on the machine.

What are your thoughts on this? Worth it or no?
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive wheel system Automotive exterior Bumper
Gesture Gas Cable Metal Personal protective equipment
Product Textile Automotive exhaust Gas Auto part
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Black Tread

·
Registered
70 Posts
I had my intercooler, charge pipes and hot side housing painted with this stuff. Not on my yxz but my Civic. On the way home they were not wrapped very well and we're touching each other. It wore right through the coating. The painter did them again for cost of materials.
My friend had his entire turbo system for his prerunner truck coated and during installation, a lot of it was scratched off. It's not very durable in my dealings with it.
My intercooler has the typical aluminum corrosion from sitting, and it went right through the coating.

I think it was a waste of money.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I had my intercooler, charge pipes and hot side housing painted with this stuff. Not on my yxz but my Civic. On the way home they were not wrapped very well and we're touching each other. It wore right through the coating. The painter did them again for cost of materials.
My friend had his entire turbo system for his prerunner truck coated and during installation, a lot of it was scratched off. It's not very durable in my dealings with it.
My intercooler has the typical aluminum corrosion from sitting, and it went right through the coating.

That is not how ceramic coating done right is at all. It is very tough and durable. Did they even bake it on ? I have exhaust systems done all the time and it is no going to scratch or wear off like you describe for sure. The stuff is permanently bonded to the base metal when done correctly.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

You had it done with this exact same product? C-7900 Cerakote? I am going to put trust in the product and in the individual who completed the coating. I have seen many other products ceramic coated and they have always looked great. Surface preparation is critical to success of the application....as well as waiting for it to fully cure before using. This product is air cured and not oven baked. It is dry to the touch within 24 hours but not fully cured until after 120 hours.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That is not how ceramic coating done right is at all. It is very tough and durable. Did they even bake it on ? I have exhaust systems done all the time and it is no going to scratch or wear off like you describe for sure. The stuff is permanently bonded to the base metal when done correctly.
That is my experience as well. I have had motorcycle exhaust components ceramic coated previously that looked great from day 1 to the day I sold the bike. I have every reason to believe it would last as this manufacturers product information would suggest providing the person who completed the job did it correctly. As I said in the other reply this product is air cured, not baked but fully cured after 120 hours.

·
Registered
2019 YXZ SS SE
1,075 Posts
Just my opinion, but I wouldn't spend that kind of money on a stock header. I understand if you want to keep it all sock though. Headers do tend to get pretty ugly looking over time.

·
Administrator
2018 SE, CageWRX cage, 2019 Gears, Rekluse Clutch, Trinity exhaust, Weller tune,RR Intercom & Radio,
501 Posts
I can speak to the durability of correctly applied cerakote. I've been cerakoting firearms for nearly ten years now. When the material is prepped correctly and baked it will last forever. In fact, the only way to remove it is with sandblasting.

As for cost, a 4oz "tester" should be about right for a header. Cost $40. Use a cheap gun from Horror Freight, $15. (.8mm gun). You can bake it in a standard oven without issue. Though once your done you'll want to run a "self-clean" cycle to bake out any remaining vapors.

Only caveat is you MUST use a mask when cerakoting. The shit is NASTY. You don't want it in your lungs.

A little hint, preheat the oven to 150*. Spray your parts, then toss them in the oven for 10 minutes. Pull back out and let cool for 15 minutes. Check for missed areas. Now spray the areas you didn't coat so you could hold the part.

Back in the oven to finish bake.

But, if you want "pretty headers" why not just go with a full pipe? I love the color of this pipe. LMAO
Musical instrument Automotive exhaust Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I can speak to the durability of correctly applied cerakote. I've been cerakoting firearms for nearly ten years now. When the material is prepped correctly and baked it will last forever. In fact, the only way to remove it is with sandblasting.

As for cost, a 4oz "tester" should be about right for a header. Cost $40. Use a cheap gun from Horror Freight, $15. (.8mm gun). You can bake it in a standard oven without issue. Though once your done you'll want to run a "self-clean" cycle to bake out any remaining vapors.

Only caveat is you MUST use a mask when cerakoting. The shit is NASTY. You don't want it in your lungs.

A little hint, preheat the oven to 150*. Spray your parts, then toss them in the oven for 10 minutes. Pull back out and let cool for 15 minutes. Check for missed areas. Now spray the areas you didn't coat so you could hold the part.

Back in the oven to finish bake.

But, if you want "pretty headers" why not just go with a full pipe? I love the color of this pipe. LMAO View attachment 121415
Looks good! The Cerakote I had used is air dry without oven bake. Didn’t require much product to do. Cost was insignificant.

·
Administrator
2018 SE, CageWRX cage, 2019 Gears, Rekluse Clutch, Trinity exhaust, Weller tune,RR Intercom & Radio,
501 Posts
It looks really good! The C Series is not as durable as the H Series, but its still pretty tough.

In the end the durability has a lot to do with the prep before hand. Looks like you did right. Seen plenty of commercial applications that don't come out that nice.

Nate

·
Registered
69 Posts
It looks great but even at $80 I wouldn’t spend towards the stock header…however…

I would spend $8.99 for a 2” 90 degree bend and hang a slip on vs the heavy stock exhaust muffler.
This and a basic Graves or Alba tune.. smile for miles for me till boost is installed on the car at a later date.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts