Yamaha YXZ Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I stopped by my local dealer this week and did a walk around. I must say that the interior is just as nice or even better than a Maverick.:cool: The salesman was eager to have me sign the dotted line. Guys, if this thing only had a low range transmission, I think I would have put money down for a b/w coming in next month. I used to own a Wolverine four wheeler that was geared too tall and this was what kept me from signing on the dotted line. Salesman told me the Reklus clutch would take care of the tall gearing, but I explain to him that the first thing I would do was to put 30" tires on it. Reklus clutch or not.... this car would still be geared too high. Cmon Yamaha Gods pay attention to majority of the market needs and wants!

BTW, on a second note , how is the noise in the cab compared to a Can Am Maverick?

·
Registered
98 Posts
The verdict is still out for me on the gearing issue. I have not had the need for lower gearing yet. However I recognize the potential benefit. I believe it really depends on what you are comfortable doing. Gearing reduction ideas are on other threads and I suspect that may be an ideal way to dial this machine in for your particular needs....at a cost.

I have taken a rhino on some of the longest and roughest trails imaginable....in 4 low diff lock...it worked great...but preference in the end is to avoid that type of trail....here in Az there is endless miles of roads which are volcanic rock...but after an hour on this stuff....I wAnt out...it gets very tiring and I usually chewed up my machine. I would prefer a grizzly for this type of terrain...standing and absorbing the terrain with legs rather than my back.

I watch crazy videos of rock crawling....or king of hammers stuff. Very cool and impressive engineering...and if I could afford to risk tearing my stuff up, I would consider a suitable machine. A stock Yxz isn't the machine I would pick.

What I like is covering a lot of ground. Az. also has endless miles of mountain forest roads and desert trails. Don't assume you don't encounter very rugged sections on these. You definitely do....and I have found the Yxz to handle these sections very well.

Yes I would like low range, but I wonder how much I would use it.

I'm still on original clutch, Barnette for backup, and may consider a rekluse in future. Almost 500 miles. It's been a blast for what I like to do and for what terrain I am fortunate to have access to.

Perhaps folks should consider their current sxs and think about how often they really use low range?

·
Registered
831 Posts
Yep. It has to be geared down for the stock 27" tires. Yamaha should gear it down again and send it to dealers with 29" or 30" tires for trails.

·
Registered
170 Posts
The verdict is still out for me on the gearing issue. I have not had the need for lower gearing yet. However I recognize the potential benefit. I believe it really depends on what you are comfortable doing. Gearing reduction ideas are on other threads and I suspect that may be an ideal way to dial this machine in for your particular needs....at a cost.

I have taken a rhino on some of the longest and roughest trails imaginable....in 4 low diff lock...it worked great...but preference in the end is to avoid that type of trail....here in Az there is endless miles of roads which are volcanic rock...but after an hour on this stuff....I wAnt out...it gets very tiring and I usually chewed up my machine. I would prefer a grizzly for this type of terrain...standing and absorbing the terrain with legs rather than my back.

I watch crazy videos of rock crawling....or king of hammers stuff. Very cool and impressive engineering...and if I could afford to risk tearing my stuff up, I would consider a suitable machine. A stock Yxz isn't the machine I would pick.

What I like is covering a lot of ground. Az. also has endless miles of mountain forest roads and desert trails. Don't assume you don't encounter very rugged sections on these. You definitely do....and I have found the Yxz to handle these sections very well.

Yes I would like low range, but I wonder how much I would use it.

I'm still on original clutch, Barnette for backup, and may consider a rekluse in future. Almost 500 miles. It's been a blast for what I like to do and for what terrain I am fortunate to have access to.

Perhaps folks should consider their current sxs and think about how often they really use low range?
I use low range every time I drive my Maverick. If I don't the belt will melt down by day's end and I'm afraid the clutch in the YXZ would do the same thing.

I looked at and sat in the YXZ yesterday and probably would have put down a deposit on an orange one if only it were lower geared. I'm just scared that it won't work well for me and I don't want to end up disappointed.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
You know our racing duties we never use low range, but for trail riding around me locally in western NC and Eastern Tn, I do use low range quiet often in a Rzr.

I really like the idea of that lower geared Tranny that Tibe works is putting out, but I don't keep a car long enough now to justify the expense of that tranny.

I am one of those thinking Yamaha will come out with something more Trail oriented soon.

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
I use low range every time I drive my Maverick. If I don't the belt will melt down by day's end and I'm afraid the clutch in the YXZ would do the same thing.

I looked at and sat in the YXZ yesterday and probably would have put down a deposit on an orange one if only it were lower geared. I'm just scared that it won't work well for me and I don't want to end up disappointed.
I think a lot of that worry is unfounded. I'd never go
back to my Maverick I sold! For the very reason you stated with the overheating belts. Damn I don't miss that! I've got 150 miles on my Y now. I haven't done rock crawling, but have driven it pretty hard in the dunes. Pulled my clutch down last night and am installing a Rekluse right now. Just wanted to add that my clutch plates both friction and driven look absolutely brand new...no slipping whatsoever has occurred.:). This is encouraging to see. And it looks like along with the other benefits, the Rekluse has more holding power due to eliminating the half frictions and the judder springs. Really anxious to see how it performs this Thanksgiving weekend.

I'll give a report to everyone after I get some time on it.

·
Registered
831 Posts
In my group's desert sprints from NW Phoenix to, say, Cottonwood or Sedona and back, Teryx is put into Low maybe 2% of the time over 100+ miles. But it is often a critical piece of terrain. I use mine my often than my RZR/E-Cat buddies who prefer to slam and wheel spin up things. I want to be more controlled and precise and don't like fixing things.

But even they go up in low every now and again. We couldn't do these routes without it.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I stopped by my local dealer this week and did a walk around. I must say that the interior is just as nice or even better than a Maverick.:cool: The salesman was eager to have me sign the dotted line. Guys, if this thing only had a low range transmission, I think I would have put money down for a b/w coming in next month. I used to own a Wolverine four wheeler that was geared too tall and this was what kept me from signing on the dotted line. Salesman told me the Reklus clutch would take care of the tall gearing, but I explain to him that the first thing I would do was to put 30" tires on it. Reklus clutch or not.... this car would still be geared too high. Cmon Yamaha Gods pay attention to majority of the market needs and wants!

BTW, on a second note , how is the noise in the cab compared to a Can Am Maverick?
I think the noise is about the same as any other machine. Not loud at all.

A huge stretch to think the slow speed market is bigger then the high speed market lol

·
Registered
98 Posts
In my group's desert sprints from NW Phoenix to, say, Cottonwood or Sedona and back, Teryx is put into Low maybe 2% of the time over 100+ miles. But it is often a critical piece of terrain. I use mine my often than my RZR/E-Cat buddies who prefer to slam and wheel spin up things. I want to be more controlled and precise and don't like fixing things.

But even they go up in low every now and again. We couldn't do these routes without it.
Hey I'm interest in those routes?

·
Registered
83 Posts

A huge stretch to think the slow speed market is bigger then the high speed market lol
It is a huge stretch to ignore the low speed market! Just about anywhere you trail ride outside of a race course or Dunes will most likely have some sections that are better suited for low range.

Out in the West, just about every trail that is worth doing has some section with steep climbs, and technical rock ledges in between smoother high speed sections.

Without Low Range no go!

In other words we leave the YXZ and take other machines because we know better. This is a serious mistake on Yamaha's behalf.

Here's another example:

Just had the SxS Adventure Rally in Southern Utah at Sand Hollow State Park. They had around 15 different trails to sign up on and a fantastic turn-out of both Riders and Vendors!

Plenty of YXZ's in the Vendor area, Yamaha was even there with 4 machines, but no driving them. Local dealer was there with two models, both a stock one and a MPI Turbo model and were giving demo rides in the flat sand areas only.

Not one YXZ on any of the registered guided trails!?

·
Registered
831 Posts
Hey I'm interest in those routes?
Some start from around the Lake Pleasant-ish "Boulders OHV" area and do the usual routes up to Wickenburg or the back way up Crown King.

These are pretty simple and are usually 30-50 mph routes (with sprints up to 70mph in a few places). Trilby wash, etc. Almost always a sketchy area that requires some finesse (aided by low-range). And often some off the beaten path exploration that is usually a rocky mistake. :)

Other times we trailer them up to Hayfield Draw or Bumble Bee and march north. We haven't done a lot of stuff on the east side and haven't yet ventured to Payson on our SxS (but we have quite often on dirt bikes).

I am not the keeper of the GPS tracks, so I am the wrong person to ask.

·
Registered
485 Posts

The slow speed market is a lot larger than you think and it is likely a much bigger market than the desert/dune segment. The Yamaha is geared (no pun intended) for the desert and dunes. Yamaha has made a niche sport SXS that will appeal to some, but not to the masses.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I agree, I have riden my YXZ local in eastern North Carolina and in West Virginia on the Hatfield and McCoy trails. I would never ever trade my YXZ for a PooPoo.

·
Registered
314 Posts
The slow speed market is a lot larger than you think and it is likely a much bigger market than the desert/dune segment. The Yamaha is geared (no pun intended) for the desert and dunes. Yamaha has made a niche sport SXS that will appeal to some, but not to the masses.
Ok we are on low gear again ....Don't want to argue, but honestly I would say no matter ,. if the Yamaha lower the gearing or not ,sure maybe they can sell little more with it . But if they want to appeal to the masses they need to be like the rest and use dummy proof CVT system not the manual trany. They for sure know the market will be limited with shifting specially in US, but I think they are targeting younger crowd which is used to riding raptors 700 or 450's . I would say for myself, if the Yamaha YXZ exist in the 2008 I would never bought RZR 800, I came from riding Raptor 700 and I am not scared of shifting....LOL
milos

·
Registered
131 Posts
I came from a can am commander, which I enjoyed and has 0 issues with. The yxz to me has brought back to my love for riding like back in the day with tri-zs and ds 650s. I liked the sides by side market and started with a rhino. I just got bored with the commander and have ridden with many popos. The yxz was perfect twist in the sider by side world. I am riding the same trails I have my whole life without any trouble. The clutch can b a bit tricky initially but that's about it. My machine is current at the local dealer getting a turbo installed, I would never havr chosen to install more power if I couldn't use it out on the trail. I will post some pics and vids as soon as I get it back. Remember, doesn't matter what u are in or on as long as your smiling when you smack the throttle!!!

·
Registered
299 Posts
No, the slow speed trail riders who will buy a performance trail SXS is micro in comparison!

Let's see Yamaha, Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki, race 2 wheelers ALWAYS come out before there toned down trail models... Why? Cause the segment just like in the SXS is small compared to the go fast market.

The amount of units sold on the west compared to elsewhere is staggering....

·
Registered
34 Posts
I came from a can am commander, which I enjoyed and has 0 issues with. The yxz to me has brought back to my love for riding like back in the day with tri-zs and ds 650s. I liked the sides by side market and started with a rhino. I just got bored with the commander and have ridden with many popos. The yxz was perfect twist in the sider by side world. I am riding the same trails I have my whole life without any trouble. The clutch can b a bit tricky initially but that's about it. My machine is current at the local dealer getting a turbo installed, I would never havr chosen to install more power if I couldn't use it out on the trail. I will post some pics and vids as soon as I get it back. Remember, doesn't matter what u are in or on as long as your smiling when you smack the throttle!!!
I hear you Brother!! Ride what you need,,,,, to feel good!

1 - 20 of 51 Posts