Yamaha YXZ Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went and took a look at the new YXZ. Here are the things that immediately popped out to me:

1) Machine overall is good looking. Roof is MUCH lower than it looks in pictures. The entire cage is not nearly as high as expected. It is lower than a RZR or Maverick for sure, it is comparable to a Wildcat almost. The stock cage looks beefy and strong, very well braced, better braced than any other sport UTV cage out there for sure as you can tell they were aiming for proper strength over looks. Function over form I guess.

2) Fit and finish was great. Everything looks well thought out and of quality parts that fit together well. Doesn't scream "Cheapass" like a PoPo does.

3) Just about everything on the machine looks beefy and overbuilt, the ball joints are huge, all the tubing and braces for the suspension is large and have grease zerks. This thing looks well built, if you screw up it will likely take little to no damage. It looks built to last.

4) With that said the front diff is TINY . .. . . it looks right off the shelf for a Grizzly. One look at that and you automatically think "No wonder they put in a spike load dampner for the front diff". Maybe it will hold up but it seems odd that Yamaha would build the rest of the machine so stoutly then throw that tiny little front diff in. It is like they decided to go with that thing first and never thought about it again. Maybe it will prove to be durable but looking at it does not provide confidence.

5) The headers are pretty and look sweet but the diameter of the tubes themselves seems way too small for the length of the tubes. I could see where there will be power to be had there when combined with better flowing muffler(s). Easy mod there and a gift to the aftermarket by Yamaha.

6) The shocks are about 3" from the outer muffler heat shield, they are not as close as they look in pictures. It doesn't matter anyway because the outer is a heat shield. I don't see that as a problem for heat on the shocks.

7) The fenders provide great coverage even though in pics they do not look like they would. No way anything is getting thrown forward into the cab from the rear or even really the side of the machine from the rear tires. Also forget about the front tires throwing into the radiator, that radiator is WAY forward and is at least up even with the rim. The tire when turned fully points into a cove in the firewall that is behind the radiator. The only way the tires would have any shot of throwing anything into the rad would be in mud and spinning them hard in reverse.

8) Steering. This has to be the lightest steering ever on a SxS or UTV. I shit you not I could turn the wheel quite easily with ONE FINGER without the machine even running. It is hard to imagine why it needs power steering other than to provide kickback protection.

9) The view out the front is the best of any SxS. Period. Seating is low, not quite as low as the Wildcat but with the gas tnk under the seats it couldn't possibly be, but the rest of the mechanicals are extremely low. It may have the lowest COG of them all now.

10) Interior is very comfortable and there is plenty of room in it. Seats felt good. I liked the doors. The entire interior is one of the best yet in a SxS if not the best. The cupholders on the passenger floorboard seem like an afterthought though, like they got done and someone noticed they had forgotten cupholders so they added those to the passenger floor mold. Seems they should have incorporated some type of cupholders in the console, maybe some that slide in and out of the console.

11) Suspension seemed stiff. The shocks and springs are HUGE. I plopped on the rear and it doesn't give. Bouncing on it provided no movement. The front shocks coming through the hood looks pretty killer in person. The entire front end is stubbier in person too.

12) The Yellow one looks 1,000 times better in person than in pictures or video, but still not for me LOL. If I were hot for one I suppose it would be ok but I am not so I would pass on the yellow. But it still is a good looking machine.

Yamaha will sell a lot of these I suspect. It won't be for everyone, but it will be for a lot of people.

·
Registered
762 Posts
GREAT WRlTE UP. YOU'RE THE MAN.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Don't like hearing about a small front diff- all depends on the engineering behind it. Hopefully a CV or axel would grenade before the diff...time will tell.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Thanks for sharing your first impressions review it helps get a better picture of this cool new sxs

·
Registered
231 Posts
You say that the cage seems lower when standing next to it? The factory Dims are 72.2" tall which is taller than my Mav. I wonder why they all try to be that high and not like 62"?

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
You say that the cage seems lower when standing next to it? The factory Dims are 72.2" tall which is taller than my Mav. I wonder why they all try to be that high and not like 62"?
The cross bars that form that peak are probably that high, but the main bar is lower which is what I was really talking about. It is lower than my Wildcat, although I do have larger tires and a small lift going.

I am right at 6 foot tall and the cage edge is way lower. 62" would be just over 5 feet and would be very low, most anyone would be bending over big time to get into that. You will see what I mean when you walk up to one. When the aftermarket gets done the Yamaha will be in the hunt for lowest roofline.

Just for reference here are all three side comparison . . .

Technology Vehicle Car

Another shot for height comparison . .. .

Off-roading Vehicle Off-road vehicle Soil Car

1 - 20 of 36 Posts