Yamaha YXZ Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just got my YXZ Saturday from a local dealer in Ga. Took it out to Durham town plantation on sunday and all I can say wow this machine is AMAZING !!! I LOVE IT. I had a blast hitting gears, even using the clutch for every shift. It had power all the way through the gears. This thing is a Cadillac through the trails/rocks/bumps/jumps you name it. It definitely met and surpassed my expectations Just hit 5 hours today. I have a couple questions for you guys:

1. Are you using the clutch in between every gear like it says in the manual? I plan to buy a rekluse soon so I can just bang gears like on the dirtbikes.

2. How many hours are you going to give it before you start beating on it? I did a few donuts n drifts but stayed conservative. I can't help my self behind the wheel I just want to be WOT already n see that shift light flash in my face.

3. Anyone plan on tuning the suspension to help the rear from coming up off jumps? Besides that this machine is much smoother than any other sxs I've ever driven/riden

Thanks. Can't wait to put more hours on it this weekend.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have been using the clutch every shift. Just looked up the recommendations on break in. Can't wait to get on that throttle tomorrow.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I did 30 hours on the break in. Well...kinda. I did the best I could. I figured if the Yamaha engineers recommend it there's probably a reason. The main thing I did was not let the engine run at the same pace for very long.

·
Premium Member
503 Posts
I use the clutch on downshifts, but not always when upshifting - as long as you are in the right RPM range you don't need to clutch it shifting up. Doesn't hurt to use it all the time, but you don't have to.

Also, for the rear, you could slow down the rebound and see if that helps with the rear end popping up too fast....these shocks have a ton of adjustability in them so you should be able to find your happy place with them. Me personally, I slowed down the rebound in the rear and stiffened the compression just a hair in the front.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks I'm going to try messing with the rebound in the rear. Any suggestions how many clicks in/out I should start with? Im new to sxs coming from dirt bikes. I would love to have someone who knows more about these things completely adjust everything to my driving style. Need to find someone in Ga.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Look through some of the suspension posts here. There's a lot of good info already. The principle to shock setup is close to bikes actually.

·
Banned
228 Posts
I just got my YXZ Saturday from a local dealer in Ga. Took it out to Durham town plantation on sunday and all I can say wow this machine is AMAZING !!! I LOVE IT. I had a blast hitting gears, even using the clutch for every shift. I only WOT through one gear and it had power all the way through the gear. This thing is a Cadillac through the trails/rocks/bumps/jumps you name it. It definitely met and surpassed my expectations Just hit 5 hours today. I have a couple questions for you guys
1. Are you using the clutch in between every gear like it says in the manual? I plan to buy a rekluse soon so I can just bang gears like on the dirtbikes.

2. How many hours are you going to give it before you start beating on it? I did a few donuts n drifts but stayed conservative. I can't help my self behind the wheel I just want to be WOT already n see that shift light flash in my face.

3. Anyone plan on tuning the suspension to help the rear from coming up off jumps? Besides that this machine is much smoother than any other sxs I've ever driven/riden

Thanks. Can't wait to put more hours on it this weekend.

What machine did you have prior to this one?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What machine did you have prior to this one?
2013 YZ450F
2010 KX450F
2007 CRF450R
2007 YFZ450 (wife's bike)

First sxs but I was renting a rzr 900 with fox suspension almost every month at durham town for a bit now. I never liked the belt system so when I saw Yamaha was making this I bought it. Plus yamaha is the best company IMO. Im actually saving money now that i bought one haha

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Good deal, I hope you get years of enjoyment out of it, seems like a very solid machine.
Thank you!! I hope I do as well. This seems like a really well built machine (Like all Yamahas). Even the interior feels very solid. Not many people speak of the interior but it is very comfy (I'm 6'1 230 lbs) not to mention it is one of the best looking in my opinion.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts