Yamaha YXZ Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well I finally got my YXZ out and on the trails. Most of the reviews I've seen have come from the perspective of the dune crowd so I thought I'd share the perspective of a trail rider. The trails we were on usually averaged about 5-6 mph but ranged up to 40.

Power
The power on the YXZ is phenomenal. I came from a 2014 RZR 900 and to compare the two obviously isn't a fair fight due to engine differences but riding in a couple RZR 1000's the power feels different between the two. In the RZR, it's the initial throwback that I feel the power sits at. Once you are going it's slow and gradual. In the YXZ, the power seems to build on itself, but doesn't have as much throw back power like the RZR does. As far as I'm concerned, in the trails you'd never need to do any engine mods to pull more power because I just can't imagine to many situations calling for it.
Rating: A

Suspension
My review on the suspension would be two-fold like many others. At slow speeds you can feel the terrain beneath you. It doesn't have the same floating feeling like the newer model RZRs tend to have. I wouldn't say this is a negative though, as when I'm in slow stuff on the trails, I like to feel exactly what I'm doing. Now at high speeds, the suspension is second to none. I had a hard time believing what I was seeing on the release day videos of it clearing whoops at 45+ mph but now I'm a believer. I couldn't be happier with the suspension.

Clutch
I left everything stock as I wanted to see what I thought of the full manual transmission before making any modifications. We all know this machine was made for speed, so this was a big question for me being a trail rider on how it would perform in the low speed/hills/mud hole conditions. As I started getting used to working the clutch, we moved into more difficult terrain. Testing the limits on what it would handle, I constantly adjusted the speed without working the clutch and managed to stick around 2 mph, any lower and immediately was met with clatter. While not an issue, it is a little unsettling hearing that from a SxS (may just take some getting used to). As for hill climbing, it was much easier than I expected. Never had an issue passing gears at all. My only complaint would be having to work with the rollback during stops due to the extra time required to let out the clutch. I remedied this by working the parking brake during take offs but it takes some doing. All said and done, I'm pretty good with the clutch but I can definitely see where the Rekluse would make things much easier. Depending on how future rides go, this could be on my wish list.
Rating: B

Comfort
I find the interior excellent for me. As the driver the adjustable seat will get you right where you need to be to comfortably work the pedals and steering column adjustment puts your hands right where they are supposed to be. The plastic through the middle acts as a console and I found it a great place to keep my arm through shifts. This console also houses the 4WD and light selectors. Easy to access and I like the feel of them compared to the traditional rocker switches. All this said, this is made for someone who enjoys the ride and running with speed. The convenience items such as cupholders and storage weren't as accessible while strapped in and I think other models may provide better options if someone is concerned about this. Now this is from the perspective of a 6'0", 220lbs guy. My uncle is bigger than I am, and when he sat in it he said he felt cramped, so bigger people may want to take a seat in it and get a good feel before handing over a check.

Riding Type
Racing - puts you on the edge of your seat every time. If you are one who enjoys seeing how fast you can clear a trail or running side to side with someone, this is the machine for you. Rating: A++++
Slow/Technical - performs adequately but the clutch may be of concern to some who would rather relax than deal with constant clutching. Rating: B
Hill Climbing - it'll get you up the hill and if you've started with some speed it won't back down at all. Slow speed/start and stop hills are tougher but manageable. Rating: B-
Deep Mud - absolutely not. We came across two deep mud holes where there was no other option than to go through. I believe it's the gearing causing this, but I felt bogged down the entire time even though I did make it through. If you find yourself constantly saying I need a winch to get out, do NOT buy this machine. Rating: F

Overall
Despite the few weaknesses I've pointed out above, I am very satisfied with the machine. It is a runner that keeps asking for more despite what terrain you're on.

As I get more miles under it, I will continue to update.

Added a couple pictures from the ride
image.jpeg
image.png

Small video from the ride

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
Great review on this. Pretty much spot on with what I figured. Thanks for your perspective.

·
Registered
677 Posts
AWESOME write up the more that I read about this YXZ the more I feel it will handle everything that I will throw at it. I still want to rent one for a day to put it through its paces. I have a couple of rocky hills that I would like to try it on n if it does good then its going to be for me.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Thanks. Sounds like the kind of thing I'll end up. Rekluse it is and make mine blue :eek:

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
AWESOME write up the more that I read about this YXZ the more I feel it will handle everything that I will throw at it. I still want to rent one for a day to put it through its paces. I have a couple of rocky hills that I would like to try it on n if it does good then its going to be for me.
If it's an option I would definitely recommend renting one. As the aftermarket expands and Yamaha releases more options for it (if they are), then the market will open up for it but as it sits right now this machine isn't for everyone. But if you enjoy putting the pedal to the floor and having your heart race then you are in for a treat!

·
Registered
10 Posts
First ride in my YXZ in Ocala Fl.

This machine is for sure not set for trial riding out of the box. The suspension is really tight for technical trials. On the long winded woops it was ok, but so stiff it was really hard to drive and keep it on track in the soft powder. After coming home last night very disgusted, I decided to check the shock spring settings. The front springs were cranked down 1.5" further than what was recommended as max in the manual, rears were cranked down 2" further than recommended max settings. I have not even checked the clickers yet! You cant even push the front or back down over 1" by hand. When we ran out on the clay roads it was a blast, and really pulled hard from 6500 up. These trails are typical of what we have in Florida, so I am hoping I can dial it in for this. Also, the driveline noise in the cab is really annoying. Coming from a 1000X Maverick with the engine under your arm I was supprised. It was even noisier. Not sure if anyone else has addressed this yet. Plan to do a lot of tuning this week and take it out next weekend. Hopefully I can get it dialed in, as I really like the looks, comfort and power. I am sure I will get it dialed in, but I have a feeling it will take some $$$$ and time. But, for the rest of the normal out West group, I am sure it hooks up great. I will post the settings I come up with after this weekend, as I did not take my tools this weekend.

·
Registered
677 Posts

This machine is for sure not set for trial riding out of the box. The suspension is really tight for technical trials. On the long winded woops it was ok, but so stiff it was really hard to drive and keep it on track in the soft powder. After coming home last night very disgusted, I decided to check the shock spring settings. The front springs were cranked down 1.5" further than what was recommended as max in the manual, rears were cranked down 2" further than recommended max settings. I have not even checked the clickers yet! You cant even push the front or back down over 1" by hand. When we ran out on the clay roads it was a blast, and really pulled hard from 6500 up. These trails are typical of what we have in Florida, so I am hoping I can dial it in for this. Also, the driveline noise in the cab is really annoying. Coming from a 1000X Maverick with the engine under your arm I was supprised. It was even noisier. Not sure if anyone else has addressed this yet. Plan to do a lot of tuning this week and take it out next weekend. Hopefully I can get it dialed in, as I really like the looks, comfort and power. I am sure I will get it dialed in, but I have a feeling it will take some $$$$ and time. But, for the rest of the normal out West group, I am sure it hooks up great. I will post the settings I come up with after this weekend, as I did not take my tools this weekend.
I bet it is real stiff with the springs cranked down that far. Cant believe that Yamaha doesn't have them all set alike, I also heard that from other customers too. I am sure that u will feel a lot better when u have the shocks the way u like them it still may be stiff but it will be a lot better. Also they still have to break in too.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Thanks for the response! I also noticed the driveline noise but I think I read so much about it that I expected it going in and didn't bother me too much. Did you happen to run in to much mud on your outing? Only asking to make sure I gave a fair opinion and it wasn't just rider error :p

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
I bet it is real stiff with the springs cranked down that far. Cant believe that Yamaha doesn't have them all set alike, I also heard that from other customers too. I am sure that u will feel a lot better when u have the shocks the way u like them it still may be stiff but it will be a lot better. Also they still have to break in too.
Double the "check all settings on your shocks before deciding"

I have had (2) xp1k cars and one of them came in with the clickers all out of whack. And the other one had the one spring cranked down on more than the others.

The clickers I figured were from people tickering with them on the show room floor, but who knows why that one spring was outta whack. LOL

·
Registered
582 Posts
Did you measure spring height with tires on ground or off? You need to get the wheels off the ground to measure. Also, check this thread
http://www.yxztalk.com/forum/27-yxz-suspension/550-spring-stack.html
Evan is getting close on this, my ride this weekend was very good testing his tenders and crossovers. There is still some testing to do with other changes but his suggestions/products at this point have made improvements by leaps and bounds. Hes a cool guy too, got to meet him last week ;)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts