Yamaha YXZ Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Went this past weekend to Little Sahara in Oklahoma, what an awesome experience! I have a few questions on suspension related to riding the sand.
I have a 2019 with X2's, settings are "comfort", stock bighorns at 7psi (they were great from what I could tell).

The tracks in the sand would rattle your teeth out if going too slow, hauling ass fixed this but then when you hit the bottom of the hill and transitioned into the next one you could feel the rear end bottom out and sometimes the front, one time I bottomed the front and the frame and control arms dug into the sand a bit, I felt like I was beating the hell out of the machine, not sure how well it would hold up to constant hard bump stop hits, maybe its no big deal (the stories of bent frames and such have me a little concerned)?

What options do I have to help keep it from bottoming and allowing it to eat up the terrain more with 2 200lb riders? Is a long travel the only solution?

·
Registered
271 Posts
You will get many different ideas on this subject.
Things I did to stop the wash board chatter -
1) Increase the preload. Now I know that sounds counter productive, but my car came set up with too much spring sag.
The shock was not working within the stroke of the shock. Check your sag.
2) Removed the front sway bar. Many say it's crazy, but it frees up the front end and it didn't change body roll.
3) Back off on the both compression adjusters - way off. Then run them back in as needed.
4) Went to a 30" tire and lower air pressure.

Lastly, it's never going to be perfect.
Never. I've ridden in every make and model. None of them are perfect.

·
Registered
40 Posts
There is a chart on here about setting up the X2's. I set mine up for 'aggressive' driving because I do not like to bottom out. Nice thing about the X2 is the HS/LS adjustability. HS comp/rebound is going to help in the chop (they like less HS rebound damping). I added a bunch of LS compression damping and it stopped all bottoming. Remember HS/LS is shock shaft speed not UTV speed so landing from a jump or G-out is affected by LS comp/rebound even if you're going 80 mph........

·
Registered
40 Posts
Also tire pressure can take a lot of the chop out of the ride. When/if you go to paddles; you can run them at 3-4psi with beadlocks. The YXZ is naturally a little rougher riding than the RzR's, but you get such better handling that it is worth it IMO.

·
Registered
74 Posts
The sand at Little Sahara in Oklahoma tends to hold a lot of moisture at this time of the year. After the recent rains the park tears up quickly and it doesn't matter how much you tune the shocks its going to be a rough ride. Even in my long travel sand rail it's rough at slower speeds after a rain. I have 2 YXZ machines, long travel is better than stock for sure but stock shocks work pretty well too. I changed the front springs on the stock shock car, that really made a noticeable difference for the better.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good stuff, I said screw it and ordered a fireball long travel kit, going to send my X2's to FCR for a revalve and springs, I hope I don't regret the limitations of the width on the trails :)
Thanks again everyone.

·
Registered
15 Posts
There is a chart on here about setting up the X2's. I set mine up for 'aggressive' driving because I do not like to bottom out. Nice thing about the X2 is the HS/LS adjustability. HS comp/rebound is going to help in the chop (they like less HS rebound damping). I added a bunch of LS compression damping and it stopped all bottoming. Remember HS/LS is shock shaft speed not UTV speed so landing from a jump or G-out is affected by LS comp/rebound even if you're going 80 mph........
Remember HS/LS is shock shaft speed not UTV Did not know this ....thanks ...that going to help my understanding!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts