Yamaha YXZ Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a rock crawler, slow speed, take it easy, get there in one piece kind of guy.

It's occurred to me that I've got no idea how to drive this YXZ1000r. I just picked it up last week and don't have a trailer yet so I haven't gotten it out, but hope to have that solved real soon.

Are there any videos or whatever that can give me some tips on how to drive this thing? So far I've found out about launching, and if you find yourself air born to keep on the gas in 4 wheel so the back end doesn't come up. Do you guys usually keep it in 4 wheel limited slip? I'm sure there are hundreds of techniques that I should know about, hoping someone can point me in the right direction.

·
Registered
730 Posts
If you bought it for rock crawling or slower technical stuff is your style, you need a 70/30 gear reduction. You won't be able to keep under 6-7mph and have clutch fully engaged.

Reactions: Sjs and dbatman

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Definitely on the list, but I'd like to harden it up a bit first. I've got some nice forest roads to explore in the meantime.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
I'm a rock crawler, slow speed, take it easy, get there in one piece kind of guy.

It's occurred to me that I've got no idea how to drive this YXZ1000r. I just picked it up last week and don't have a trailer yet so I haven't gotten it out, but hope to have that solved real soon.

Are there any videos or whatever that can give me some tips on how to drive this thing? So far I've found out about launching, and if you find yourself air born to keep on the gas in 4 wheel so the back end doesn't come up. Do you guys usually keep it in 4 wheel limited slip? I'm sure there are hundreds of techniques that I should know about, hoping someone can point me in the right direction.
Oh my wil, I hope you're just being facetious ! The type of off-roading you're describing is NOT what this machine's about. You could dump a metric shit ton of money into it and make it preform so so in such conditions, but this machine is more adapt for a experienced driver to decorate a unsuspecting passenger's under-ware with racing stripes. Best of luck, be careful.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh I'm aware this is totally different, although they do run these guys on King of the Hammers. When I bought it the plan was mainly for forest roads and running circles around some of my ATV friends on desert type of trips.

It'll see some rocks at some point but it's not the main intention, more than likely the gear reduction will be high on the list but I'm planning on running it stock until I can't.

My driving experience is different than the YXZ though, so it's occurred to me that I've got no idea how to actually drive it.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Oh I'm aware this is totally different, although they do run these guys on King of the Hammers. When I bought it the plan was mainly for forest roads and running circles around some of my ATV friends on desert type of trips.

It'll see some rocks at some point but it's not the main intention, more than likely the gear reduction will be high on the list but I'm planning on running it stock until I can't.

My driving experience is different than the YXZ though, so it's occurred to me that I've got no idea how to actually drive it.
Drive like you've stolen it . Oh and don't boost it cause it makes it harder to drive it like you've stolen it. Hehe.

·
Registered
867 Posts
For right now I would just get the heavy flywheel,,, I will make it easier to pull out in 1st gear and to go slower... Really did wonders for mine when I 1st got it then I got the 70/30/15 gear set and never looked back I go everywhere with it now...

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
If you want to try a heavy flywheel let me know . I have one here you can try before you buy one .

·
Registered
106 Posts
Drive in 2wd unless you need the extra traction. then get the revs up and gradually ease into some power sliding through twisty turns. develop good throttle control and learn to point the front wheels where you want to go and use the throttle to rotate the car thru the turns. One last bit, If you have a good slide going don't ever just cut off the throttle. The outside wheels will catch and the car can tip/roll. Always ease the throttle off coming out of the slide. Once you get that down you'll find the car to be very stable like its on rails and Passengers love this kind of riding.

First YXZ i saw was at supercross race a couple years back. They announced it and the driver hammered it and got it sliding then rolled it on its side in like 10 seconds.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Drive like you've stolen it . Oh and don't boost it cause it makes it harder to drive it like you've stolen it. Hehe.
If you want to try a heavy flywheel let me know . I have one here you can try before you buy one .
I did notice the low end throttle control was pretty difficult trying to get it into my garage, I have about an inch on each side and the driveway is uphill. Got it in there, stalled it a few times though :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Drive in 2wd unless you need the extra traction. then get the revs up and gradually ease into some power sliding through twisty turns. develop good throttle control and learn to point the front wheels where you want to go and use the throttle to rotate the car thru the turns. One last bit, If you have a good slide going don't ever just cut off the throttle. The outside wheels will catch and the car can tip/roll. Always ease the throttle off coming out of the slide. Once you get that down you'll find the car to be very stable like its on rails and Passengers love this kind of riding.

First YXZ i saw was at supercross race a couple years back. They announced it and the driver hammered it and got it sliding then rolled it on its side in like 10 seconds.
Good info, thank you!

·
Registered
730 Posts
I did notice the low end throttle control was pretty difficult trying to get it into my garage, I have about an inch on each side and the driveway is uphill. Got it in there, stalled it a few times though :)
I stalled mine several times initially. You can also adjust the throttle cable near the front driver side shock, take out that initial dead spot as well.

·
Registered
6 Posts
For the manual clutch version - the Rekluse clutch will really help with that, it keeps the engine from stalling. It's like an automatic within the gear you're in - so you can brake to a full stop without using the clutch, then push the gas and go again. Then use the clutch to shift between gears. You still have to be in the proper gear (i.e. don't start out in 3rd or 4th gear...). It really helps on hill climbs and trail riding so you can go slower and not stall, and helps for people that haven't driven with a clutch much. And you can basically ignore it and drive as if you didn't have the Rekluse. It's been a good option to have, I've liked it. Also, when starting on an incline, use your parking brake to keep you from rolling backwards while you disengage the clutch and give it some throttle, my driveway is quite steep too!

·
Registered
295 Posts
Have you ever watched rally racing? Or drifting? Pitch and slide, use the throttle to steer. Keep the revs high, fun starts at 8000 RPM's, or at least 5000 and up.

These machines love an exh swap and flash, lots of HP there.

If I want to rock crawl I get the Jeep out. That's what it's good for. Auto and low gears.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Finally got the YXZ out for the first time yesterday, boy this thing is FUN! :)

Went to Hollister Hills SVRA, which is more for 4x4's. Had a couple of difficulties. Once was trying to climb a hill, I didn't have enough RPM so I stalled but I wasn't able to get the power band up high enough to continue and had to back down. The other issue was trying to climb over some obstacles at a slower speed.

Other than that was acting like a hooligan all damn day! Getting wheels off the ground is a new experience, got air a couple of times. Never was able to get it out of 3rd gear. Can't wait to get it out again.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 29 Posts