Yamaha YXZ Forums banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Finally got the YXZ out for the first time yesterday, boy this thing is FUN! :)

Went to Hollister Hills SVRA, which is more for 4x4's. Had a couple of difficulties. Once was trying to climb a hill, I didn't have enough RPM so I stalled but I wasn't able to get the power band up high enough to continue and had to back down. The other issue was trying to climb over some obstacles at a slower speed.

Other than that was acting like a hooligan all damn day! Getting wheels off the ground is a new experience, got air a couple of times. Never was able to get it out of 3rd gear. Can't wait to get it out again.

Never been to Hollister 4x4 park. Motorcycle side is a lot of fun. Prairie City is pretty good. They have a track that will allow to get into 4th and sometimes 5th if it's laid out right and not to rutted from the rock races .

Reactions: JayMaharg

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Get some locking collars on that rear sway bar, kinda looks like it's already shifting. A set of HD sway bar end links too, it will keep you from a possible roll if one brakes. The 16's are notorious for this. Everyone is making them now but I saw a set of links on ebay with grease zerks on top and bottom, I'd get them. Congrats !

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Get some locking collars on that rear sway bar, kinda looks like it's already shifting. A set of HD sway bar end links too, it will keep you from a possible roll if one brakes. The 16's are notorious for this. Everyone is making them now but I saw a set of links on ebay with grease zerks on top and bottom, I'd get them. Congrats !
What are you seeing in the image that leads you to believe the rear swaybar has moved?

Good idea on locking it and getting some stronger ends, all new to me here so I welcome any and all suggestions!

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
What are you seeing in the image that leads you to believe the rear swaybar has moved?

Good idea on locking it and getting some stronger ends, all new to me here so I welcome any and all suggestions!
I have a set if you need them just have to find them. Changed out my bars so I don’t need them.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts

In one of the pics of the pass. side, it looked like the sway bar end link was canted in to me. This would suggest that the sway bar may have moved toward the drivers side a bit. May have just been the pic but none the less, they will end up moving on you without the locking collars. Also check to make sure the coolant hose clamps are tight, dealers were suppose to address this at the shop but some were overlooked and guys popped off hoses. I think there's a sticky that gives a check list of common little issues to check out, a good read.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I crawl on rocks enough when I trail ride it does fine but to go crawling over a boulder field, you'd be better with a Jeep crawler - costs about the same better results...

·
Super Moderator
2018 YXZ1000R SE, CageWRX cage
262 Posts
I'm a little late to the party... as usual.

SWMBO runs a 2018 SE. She mainly runs trails and lots of mud. Like "winch it out cuz you buried it" mud. This is a typical "after" picture, you get the idea.

Started out dead stock. Moved to a heavy weight flywheel and throttle mod to give her a little more control at low speed, low RPM.

This last spring the clutch was slipping more than I liked so I dropped 2019 gears and a Rekluse auto clutch in it. Still on stock tires.

What a difference the 2019 gearing made! Add the Rekluse and its a completely different machine. While she lost flat out top end, the 24% additional torque on the bottom made a huge difference.

With that in mind, I'd say ask yourself just how often you expect to want to crawl over an obstacle, and just how often do you expect to red line in 5th. Then decide whether to look at gears.

Just my .02 worth.

Nate

Reactions: Big Daddy Cain

·
Registered
2016 YXZ1000R
91 Posts
Damn - I used to ride dirt bikes all over out there. I've camped many times out at PiPi, used to throw the bike in the back of the truck and haul the mutt and small trailer out for weekends..

These were pics of the trail signs from a few years back - didn't have maps and this was easy..

20150404_094121.jpg

20150404_094244.jpg

21 - 29 of 29 Posts