Yamaha YXZ Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a deposit down on a new 2021, but the dealer got a better offer and sold it. New ones are almost extinct in this area, so I may end up buying used. This marks the 3rd issue that I have had trying to buy a SXS. As an ex motocrosser, I am beginning to think that the mx gods are sending me a message....lol.
Outside of doing the "due diligence" of inspecting a used car for the usual items, did any of you ask to do a compression check on the car before buying it? TIA

·
Registered
44 Posts
I did not, I checked the oil, checked the frame over, and just general things. Its just like a dirt bike or fourwheeler, there are good ones and bad ones, you get what you pay for usually.

When I got it home I found the air filter to be incredibly dirty. The rear control arm was slightly tweaked and the diff and tranny oil likely had not been changed in its prior life. A arms needed grease, all the general maintenance things needed attention.

That being said it runs like a champ and runs hard. And I take meticulous care of the machines, try and get them to hold some of their value at least

·
Registered
483 Posts
Have never done a compression test on anything I've bought and I buy A LOT of toys, just ask my wife :) Heck last year alone I bought 3 quads and a sidexside. Looking for a ski boat and another quad right now. Condition is everything and the cheapest ones are usually something I'm not interested in. Not saying that there aren't good deals out there, I won't buy unless I'm getting one, but the cheapest priced ones are usually that way for a reason. In this market you have to be a buyer, by that I mean ready to buy right now, if it's worth buying and it is a good deal it will be sold by tomorrow if not sooner.

I check Marketplace and Craigslist at least 10 times a day when I'm looking to buy, a lot of things are sold in less than a couple hours of them being posted. The right deal can take weeks to find, sometimes months, and when you find it you'd better be ready to buy it!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Generally speaking, if everything else on a machine met my concerns, most likely compression would not be an issue.
If something is making you think you need to check compression, you may want to walk away…..

·
Registered
20 Posts
When I was looking for used YXZ's I checked out quite a bit of different machines. You could kind of tell if the machine has been abused, rust, the finish on the paint or materials is worn out, bent suspension components. If this is the case with machines you are looking at, they have most likely been abused, redlining the engine most of the time, hard shifts, and lack of maintenance. The one I bought was notably in way better shape than the others, the owner new a lot about YXZ's and offroading, it was a no brainer to go with my 2017 compared to the others I've seen. Even saw a 2020 with 600 miles but it was rusted, looked rough around the edges and you could tell it wasn't taken very good care of.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Interesting. Obviousl
dygt: 690973 said:
I did not, I checked the oil, checked the frame over, and just general things. Its just like a dirt bike or fourwheeler, there are good ones and bad ones, you get what you pay for usually.

When I got it home I found the air filter to be incredibly dirty. The rear control arm was slightly tweaked and the diff and tranny oil likely had not been changed in its prior life. A arms needed grease, all the general maintenance things needed attention.

That being said it runs like a champ and runs hard. And I take meticulous care of the machines, try and get them to hold some of their value at least
Have never done a compression test on anything I've bought and I buy A LOT of toys, just ask my wife :) Heck last year alone I bought 3 quads and a sidexside. Looking for a ski boat and another quad right now. Condition is everything and the cheapest ones are usually something I'm not interested in. Not saying that there aren't good deals out there, I won't buy unless I'm getting one, but the cheapest priced ones are usually that way for a reason. In this market you have to be a buyer, by that I mean ready to buy right now, if it's worth buying and it is a good deal it will be sold by tomorrow if not sooner.

I check Marketplace and Craigslist at least 10 times a day when I'm looking to buy, a lot of things are sold in less than a couple hours of them being posted. The right deal can take weeks to find, sometimes months, and when you find it you'd better be ready to buy it!
You are correct. I have waffled a time or two only to have it bought in the interim. If you buy a ski/surf boat, bend over........lol

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
When I was looking for used YXZ's I checked out quite a bit of different machines. You could kind of tell if the machine has been abused, rust, the finish on the paint or materials is worn out, bent suspension components. If this is the case with machines you are looking at, they have most likely been abused, redlining the engine most of the time, hard shifts, and lack of maintenance. The one I bought was notably in way better shape than the others, the owner new a lot about YXZ's and offroading, it was a no brainer to go with my 2017 compared to the others I've seen. Even saw a 2020 with 600 miles but it was rusted, looked rough around the edges and you could tell it wasn't taken very good care of.
Thanks. I guess being an inexperienced car buyer has me a bit nervous about buying a car with hidden issues.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Just a thorough look-over, ask a few key questions, and a test drive. And, if it is a private seller and not a dealer, look around at their property and other things they own.

Buying anything used is obviously a roll of the dice. But it’s usually pretty easy to tell if a machine has been taken care of or not.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts