Yamaha YXZ Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have or can recommend a video for a front axle replacement. Much appreciated 馃檪

Registered
I don't have a video, but these are the steps I have used.
1. Remove wheel and use an impact to undo axle nut at the hub.
2. Remove the brake caliper and brake line securing screws on the upper a-arm. Relocate caliper out of the way.
3. Take the lower shock mounting bolt out of the upper a-arm and disconnect tie rod end.
4. I prefer to remove the four bolts that hold the upper and lower a-arms at the frame. This allows the whole "knee" (upper a-arm, steering knuckle, lower a-arm) to be pulled out quickly and easily leaving the front axle sticking out of the diff.
5. Convince the axle to leave the diff by gently prying or a good yank. I have done it both ways.
6. I use a piece of wood and hammer to gently drive the new axle, with retaining clip, to be fully seated in the front diff.
7. Put it back together.

I am sure there are other methods, but this doesn't require undoing any ball joints. Hope this helps.

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
2. Remove the brake caliper and brake line securing screws on the upper a-arm. Relocate caliper out of the way.
3. Take the lower shock mounting bolt out of the upper a-arm and disconnect tie rod end.
4. I prefer to remove the four bolts that hold the upper and lower a-arms at the frame. This allows the whole "knee" (upper a-arm, steering knuckle, lower a-arm) to be pulled out quickly and easily leaving the front axle sticking out of the diff.
5. Convince the axle to leave the diff by gently prying or a good yank. I have done it both ways.
6. I use a piece of wood and hammer to gently drive the new axle, with retaining clip, to be fully seated in the front diff.
7. Put it back together.

I am sure there are other methods, but this doesn't require undoing any ball joints. Hope this helps.
Thank you for taking the time and responding with detail. 馃憤

Registered
7. Put it back together.

Be sure to refill diff with oil.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts