Yamaha YXZ Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Considering either a OEM front bumper, SuperATV front bumper or just fab up a winch mount.

Most of the driving is on maintained trails, open fields, and roads.

Is it worth the cost and effort to mount a brush guard style front bumper both for protection and to mount a winch, or just fab up a winch mount? I'll admit I do like the look of the bumper, just not convinced of the necessity of one.

Opinions please.
Nate

·
Registered
154 Posts
I went with the Super ATV for it's coverage of the headlights, as well as a winch mount. It deflects brush and the such out of the way, although I'm not sure it would take a very big impact without compressing. It serves its light duty purpose enough for me while providing a great place (and inexpensive) to mount my winch.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
I prefer the inboard Weller winch mount for the reason being it places the weight of the winch right on top dead center of the a arms . These cars nose into to stuff as the ass end is know to kick up . I can re call two people reporting the front mounted winch digging in and contributing to an endo.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I went with the Super ATV for it's coverage of the headlights, as well as a winch mount. It deflects brush and the such out of the way, although I'm not sure it would take a very big impact without compressing. It serves its light duty purpose enough for me while providing a great place (and inexpensive) to mount my winch.
Thanks Airmed / Rocken Robin

I do like the look. I was hoping it would be heavy duty enough not just to mount a winch but also use as an anchor point for self recovery. One thing I don't like is there aren't any hard points on the frame I'd feel comfortable attaching a line to (think attach a snatch block x2 to increase mechanical advantage).

But Rocken Robin has a very valid point RE increasing nose length and weight contributing to the likelihood of an endo.

I'm really tempted to break out the tools and fab up a lightweight brush guard, but go with a winch mount that puts the winch over the A arms. Still leaves me with finding or making hard points for self recovery.

·
Registered
469 Posts
I have winches mounted on both machines and they have come in very handy. Mostly getting them back to rubber side down....lol. One has the OEM trail and the other the OEM desert. I like the protection and look of the trail, but the desert has proven to be a nice lighter weight option too. I think the super ATV version hangs a little low and offers some additional risk to getting into an endo, as pointed out by others. I have no experience with the Weller, but it looks like it offers the tightest option and best clearance.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I did the Houser bolt on. It’s like the Weller with out the welding. Works great so far. I wasn’t keen on the bigger front bumpers, and liked the between the shock mounting. Easy to install also

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Really appreciate all the input.

For the short term (2 months?). I'm kind of leaning towards going with the OEM trail bumper but mount the winch on a Hauser mount.

Our trails open up on the 15th of March and I'm not sure I'll have the time to fab both and powder coat by then. Oh, and SWMBO gets nervous everytime I pull out either MiG or TiG and say "this will only take a minute...."

I really like the way the CRC bumper mounts. I think once I have the time this summer I'll copy the upper outline of the OEM but use a CRC style mount. At the same time I'll probably add a couple hard points to the sides of the frame. Next winter I'll take the time to add a full gusset kit too.

For today I need to figure out a simple mount on the back for a 8 lb Danforth anchor (that isn't ugly and wont rattle). Probably try and add in a tie down / hard point shackle while I'm at it.

Thanks
Nate

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
The houser mount is quick but several reports of the exit location of the line pulling up on the plastic . The Weller fairleed location is quite a bit lower . Use the search on the two.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The houser mount is quick but several reports of the exit location of the line pulling up on the plastic . The Weller fairleed location is quite a bit lower . Use the search on the two.
Ah! Thanks, I will. I prefer welding steel to welding plastic!

·
Registered
8 Posts
not much but gets the job done. Homemade bumper and winch mount 3500lb badlands winch. Made the winch mount out of 1” angle and welded it in the frame above the diff. Had to mount the winch with the bottom facing front of the machine. Fairly easy to get to. Seen the idea somewhere on forums.

Attachments

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
not much but gets the job done. Homemade bumper and winch mount 3500lb badlands winch. Made the winch mount out of 1” angle and welded it in the frame above the diff. Had to mount the winch with the bottom facing front of the machine. Fairly easy to get to. Seen the idea somewhere on forums.
Like that it exists fairly high, less likely to contribute to an endo.

Was looking at the Hauser & Weller. Like the Weller, but also like the simplicity of the Hauser.

One limiting factor for me is access to the machine. Tonight is a perfect example. Spent time building a mount for a Danforth anchor (decided on a roof mount, more accessible when she turns turtle with it).

Come time to install it and I hear the door for her shop open and off she goes. Apparently couldn't resist taking it out in the 12" of new powder we got today.

I'm on the verge of buying a lockout/tagout for the ignition!!

In her defense, she did say she wanted to test drive it since I wired the whips, might change how it handles... facepalm...

·
Registered
4 Posts
I love my Super ATV bumper. I ride alot of tighter trails thats somewhat maintained. I actually plowed a deer one night on the way home hitting her about 60 mph an all it did was crack one headlight and knock bumper out of adjustment. (And needed a new pair of shorts) lol. Only downfall is when going down straight drops into creeks and such the nose will drag unless you’re running bigger tires. Im still on stock size. I’ve made it over 7000 miles with it though an still love it other than the occasional scrape.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I love my Super ATV bumper. I ride alot of tighter trails thats somewhat maintained. I actually plowed a deer one night on the way home hitting her about 60 mph an all it did was crack one headlight and knock bumper out of adjustment. (And needed a new pair of shorts) lol. Only downfall is when going down straight drops into creeks and such the nose will drag unless you’re running bigger tires. Im still on stock size. I’ve made it over 7000 miles with it though an still love it other than the occasional scrape.
I admit I prefer the look of the Super ATV bumper, but I think for now I'm going with the OEM trail bumper. I like that it's almost the same profile as the existing grab bar. I think my biggest concern is not lowering the nose too much. The biggest threat is going to be operator inexperience and over confidence. This is her first real off-road machine, her confidence in a helmet, 5 point harness and roll cage can be a bit scary. I've just about mastered the seated fetal position, but the screaming like a school girl I'm still working on.

After looking over the Weller and Houser mounts, plus KYGuy52's mount. I'm thinking I'm going to Fab that up over the weekend. That way when the bumper shows up Monday I can get the whole job turned around quickly.

Hearing you mention deer reminds me that the next item on my "To-Do" list is anti-intrusion bars. Both the trails and the farm we ride on are thick with deer. I really don't want to find out if the YXZ can seat 3. Been very fortunate that in the 23 years we've been here we've only hit one deer. I have friends who average 2 or more a year. Should probably point out thats while driving their normal cars....
Thanks
Nate

·
Registered
1 Posts
Considering either a OEM front bumper, SuperATV front bumper or just fab up a winch mount.

Is it worth the cost and effort to mount a brush guard style front bumper both for protection and to mount a winch, or just fab up a winch mount? I'll admit I do like the look of the bumper, just not convinced of the necessity of one.

Opinions please.
Nate
Weller mount and Krash bumper with fairlead mount... Mint!!!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Looks like my luck has changed. I'll have plenty of time to disassemble, measure and fabricate.

With temps like this she won't be going anywhere!

I dont know how many others run in cold temps, but for us it just doesn't like to start and struggles to run below 10*. So typically we wont leave the barn when its below 15*. That means it's got to warm up another 40* !!sweet!!.

·
Registered
6 Posts

Opinions please.
Nate

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just removed my super atv winch bumper in favor of houser racing inboard winch set up. no more plowing sand and waiting for it to flip me on dirt. I can sleep better now!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I admit I prefer the look of the Super ATV bumper, but I think for now I'm going with the OEM trail bumper. I like that it's almost the same profile as the existing grab bar. I think my biggest concern is not lowering the nose too much. The biggest threat is going to be operator inexperience and over confidence. This is her first real off-road machine, her confidence in a helmet, 5 point harness and roll cage can be a bit scary. I've just about mastered the seated fetal position, but the screaming like a school girl I'm still working on.

After looking over the Weller and Houser mounts, plus KYGuy52's mount. I'm thinking I'm going to Fab that up over the weekend. That way when the bumper shows up Monday I can get the whole job turned around quickly.

Hearing you mention deer reminds me that the next item on my "To-Do" list is anti-intrusion bars. Both the trails and the farm we ride on are thick with deer. I really don't want to find out if the YXZ can seat 3. Been very fortunate that in the 23 years we've been here we've only hit one deer. I have friends who average 2 or more a year.
Thanks
Nate
Lol thats too funny! I am probably goin to change my bumper sometime due to the nose draggin every now an again. Thats my only gripe about it. An I definitely know the feelin about all the deer around an we are very fortunate thats been the only one hit around here also. Luckily I didn’t have to see of intrusion bar wld keep it out 😳. I will most likely go to a houser or somethin similar in the future

·
Registered
11 Posts
A good bumper and winch are the insurance policy you hope you never need! But more than likely will!
I built my own! Not only have I used it to right a couple other people but it has gotten me out of a few bad spots! It will take the brunt of the hit when plowing into some triple G- outs!

Attachments

1 - 20 of 24 Posts