Yamaha YXZ Forums banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
A good bumper and winch are the insurance policy you hope you never need! But more than likely will!
I built my own! Not only have I used it to right a couple other people but it has gotten me out of a few bad spots! It will take the brunt of the hit when plowing into some triple G- outs!
A good bumper and winch are the insurance policy you hope you never need! But more than likely will!
I built my own! Not only have I used it to right a couple other people but it has gotten me out of a few bad spots! It will take the brunt of the hit when plowing into some triple G- outs!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #23 (Edited)
So, I built the winch mount this weekend. Took about 2 hours start to finish cost $13.00 in materials.

Later today I'll get some photos and post up the info in case anyone else is intertested in fabricating an easy to build bolt in internal winch mount

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #24 (Edited)
So here are the photos and drawing of what I did for the internal winch mount.

I went with a bolt in design both for simplicity and ease of replacement. I also thought that if someone else wanted to fabricate it themselves they could even without a welder. I checked around and most shops would have welded it up for $20.00 - $25.00.

Took about 2 hours to fabricate, fit, weld and install. I went ahead and attached a copy of the plans but if anyone else decides to use this mount you'll want to measure everything first since there are so many variations from frame to frame. The holes for the winch mount bolts are intentionally not dimensioned. Most winches use a standard foot print, but you'll want to adjust where the winch sits on the mount based on where the cable exits, etc.

Winch Mount.jpg

I used the winch mount plate that came with the winch as an assembly jig to hold the parts so I knew my bolt holes would line up.
20200218_191106.jpg
The two larger bolts take up most of the force. The two upper bolts really dont take much force. When the winch cable is in tension it forces the mount against the frame reinforcement.
Resized_20200218_192006.jpeg
With the mount you have plenty room for vertical adjustement. The higher the winch goes the more room you have for the cable over the front frame section. The lower you go the easier it is to run the cable out high.
Resized_20200218_192338(1).jpeg Resized_20200218_193420.jpeg

Nate

21 - 24 of 24 Posts