Yamaha YXZ Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this is my first SxS. What would you guess our fuel range is from full to empty driving not full Agro! What have you used to bring fuel along and or would you? I want to run the Mojave Trail in a week or two and trying to guess my fuel range or how to carry extra I have never done. My XR was fine straight shot!

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
I would plan on 150 miles per tank tops. At least till you figure out how the machine will use according to your driving style.

ie: I drove our car the first 2 hours of our last race. My oldest boy drove it the last 2 hours.

The car got a ton better gas mileage with him at the wheel... After viewing the Gopro footage, I discovered his driving technique was totally opposite of mine.

I was short shifting the car to maintain more control. (So I stayed around the 6,000 to 7000 rpm mark. I was evidently mashing the pedal further and more often so I was constantly dumping more fuel in. After My 6 laps (57miles) I pulled into the pits with No fuel bars left showing. My boy completed 7 laps and came in with 2 bars left on the fuel gauge. This was a huge difference!

Good luck, and be careful carrying any extra fuel too. Those pipes get Chery red quickly. Any fuel hits that and it's an instant camp fire!

·
Premium Member
3,622 Posts
I haven't seen 100 miles out of a tank yet before I'm down to no bars. But, I spend most of my time well above 7k rpm's.

·
Registered
582 Posts
So this is my first SxS. What would you guess our fuel range is from full to empty driving not full Agro! What have you used to bring fuel along and or would you? I want to run the Mojave Trail in a week or two and trying to guess my fuel range or how to carry extra I have never done. My XR was fine straight shot!
Hmm need back up? I'm in Fresno area, would like to run this trail.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I get a little over 110 miles on a tank. I have 2 Rotopax 4 gallon fuel cells mounted crossways right behind my head. I realize it can be dangerous but there is no other place to mount them. The bed is used for clothing and tools and there is a spare hanging off the back.I take a lot of very long trips ( 1000 to 2000 miles) in Baja so spare fuel is a must. We bring siphon hoses with an inner spring that creates vacuum so we never remove the fuel cells from their mounts. Been working well for years.

·
Registered
582 Posts
I get a little over 110 miles on a tank. I have 2 Rotopax 4 gallon fuel cells mounted crossways right behind my head. I realize it can be dangerous but there is no other place to mount them. The bed is used for clothing and tools and there is a spare hanging off the back.I take a lot of very long trips ( 1000 to 2000 miles) in Baja so spare fuel is a must. We bring siphon hoses with an inner spring that creates vacuum so we never remove the fuel cells from their mounts. Been working well for years.
Can you share your spare mount? Ive got an OEM on order but id like to see options.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Bajarat, I run in Mexico quite a bit as well (I think we are going again in about ten days). Do you have a picture of your setup that you can post? I am trying to figure out how to carry more gas while down there.

·
Registered
130 Posts
No pix but we took 2 channel claps and welded a stem and a Rotopax mount to each of them. Then we clamped them onto the crossbar behind the seats and mounted 2 flat 4 gallon fuel cells. 8 gallons of fuel sitting that high is a little tricky to adjust to but not bad. We do the same setup on the Rzrs also. I have driven about 10k miles with this setup on various machines.

Where are you going to in Baja? Always a blast down there. Total freedom.

I see we are neighbors. I live out at the river in Duncans Mills.

·
Registered
130 Posts
MojoBoxer- Go see Erik at in Santa Rosa @ Norcal Motorsportz. Hell's you up. He just built a Rzr 1000 for my racing partner and set up my Yxz.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Bajarat, I will look Erik up. Is he with the new group on Santa Rosa Ave?

We typically head down to Mexico 3 times a year, usually for 4 or so days at a time. The trip planned for a week or so got pushed back to January. We ride all over Northern Baja, we have seen a lot of it, many more places to go though. It would be great if we could meet up down there together sometime and ride.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Bajarat, I will look Erik up. Is he with the new group on Santa Rosa Ave?

We typically head down to Mexico 3 times a year, usually for 4 or so days at a time. The trip planned for a week or so got pushed back to January. We ride all over Northern Baja, we have seen a lot of it, many more places to go though. It would be great if we could meet up down there together sometime and ride.
Erik is up by Coddingtown and has his own shop. Great fabricator. My house is in the Northern San Quintin area about 50miles from Mikes Sky Ranch on the Pacific Ocean. I'll be down there mid Feb. and again mid March. In March we are taking a long trip down to La Paz. Let me know what's up.

·
Registered
34 Posts
BajaRat, Do you have the contact info for Erik by chance, I cannot think of a shop near Coddingtown? I have been to San Quintin many times. We are headed down in January, but I will be looking to make another trip in March most likely, outside chance that I may want to tag along, I have never ridden that far south, but I have always wanted to.

My wife and I have often talked about buying a vacation house in Baja, I spend a lot of time in San Felipe, but I do love the Pacific side as well. Maybe we can talk about owning property in Mexico with you at some point too?

·
Registered
130 Posts
NorCal Motorsportz-707.545.3478. Tell him Bob sent you. I can explain how to own a house down there. They have different principles than we use up here. The March trip will be a minimum of 9 days and maybe 14 or more. PM me your email and I'll include you in when I have everything organized and start to send out invites.

·
Registered
679 Posts
New info on an old topic - I told some that I'd share what I found after our race last weekend and having our fuel lights blinking at us indicating we were empty. Recall that CORR1 and I both had the flashing fuel light on when we ended our 60 mile race. We did both notice after we cruised back to the trailer and parked that we did see 1 bar show up on the gauge.
Today I filled it up. It took 5.25 gallons. That means I had 3.75 gallons left! What the!!!??? Not sure what to do with this newfound information other than know in a moderate to high speed race I can assume about 11mpg give or take vs. the 6.6mpg we thought we got....hope this helps!

·
Registered
218 Posts
Very interesting. Thanks for the knowledge sharing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 50 Posts