Yamaha YXZ Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Something to consider before you buy a CageWrx roll cage for a 2019 or later YXZ (this may even apply to the earlier models).

I just installed the Cage Wrx, Baja Spec, cage on my 2019 YXZ. The cage is well built, it bolted on nicely, and the welds are not just nice they are absolutely beautiful.

However, the lower support bar, for the intrusion bars, rests directly on the Yamaha center plastic nose piece. In order to remove that piece, which you will need to do to check or fill your brake reservoir, you will need to cut/notch that center piece for clearance.

We were lucky to have noticed the clearance problem before the cage was fully bolted in place, therefore we able to remove it and mark it for cutting at that time; if we hadn't done it then, we probably would have had to remove the cage to get it off. Like most people I did not want to cut up my center plastic piece but I had no choice at that point.

I called CageWrx to let them know that they had a clearance problem, and that they could correct it for future cages, but they didn't seem to even care.

Just an FYI.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I welded up a Baja Spec cage kit on a 2019 and the hood comes off no problem. There is some wiggle room with the tube placement before you weld it. It sounds like you purchased a fully welded cage so I would not be too happy if my hood couldn’t come off. Actually now that I’m thinking about it a Cagewrx rep said you had to take the cage off if you wanted to take the hood off on a 2019. I laughed and thought he must be joking. I went into the project thinking I might need to modify some tubes to get the hood off but never had to.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm over 70 now and can't see the welds as well as I used to, so yes I bought their welded cage;..... Hmm? I don't think I have even used my TIG welder in over 10 yrs, I still use the MIG but not the TIG.

Anyway, I can see how welding it yourself would allow you to spread the intrusion bars a little (or shorten them) and that would raise the lower bar. But CageWrx could also do that or even shorten them a half inch or so.

The CageWrx rep also told me to remove the cage and that is when I said "never mind, sorry I bothered you" and hung up.

As you can see I have now included a picture of what I had to do in order to be able to remove the hood. It is still tight but it will come off.

So for those people on this forum thinking on buying a CageWrx cage you now know what you are getting if you have a 2019 or later YXZ. You can weld it yourself and raise the lower bar or buy one welded and notch your hood.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That’s a mistake on the location of those bars . Were they going to have you ship it back to them

From what I have learned there isn't a clearance problem with these cages on the 2018 and earlier YXZ's, it is only on the 2019 and later models which have a different hood piece than the earlier ones.

What CageWrx needs to do is to raise the lower bar about 1/2" to 3/4" and the cage will be fine on all the year models. It won't affect the earlier models and will fix the problem on the later models.

Now to answer your question; the guy I talked to knew about the problem but didn't seem to care, therefore it appeared to me that they were not planning on changing (fixing) anything.

Anyway, something to consider if you have a 2019 or later YXZ and are considering buying a CageWrx cage.
[

1 - 6 of 6 Posts