Yamaha YXZ Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Getting ready to change out my tranny oil. What oil have you guys been using? I was thinking about using some high performance redline oil or some royal purple but interested to hear what everyone is using. What brand and weight?

·
Registered
589 Posts
The transmission uses motor oil. Whatever you use.. make sure it's good for wet clutches. Oils that are JASO MA Certified resist clutch slippage, do not leave ashy deposits and meet JASO’s anti-corrosion and wear standards. I'll be changing mine out with Rotella T6 walmart special. :D

Now if money was not a concern then I'd go with Yamalube 15W-30 Racing Full Synthetic with Ester (JASO MA). Stuff is really expensive though. I can get a gallon of T6 less than a quart of the Yamalube.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I use Yamalube for the motor on the YXZ and my bikes. Probably better to just stick to that, its from Yamaha and its good. Going to be ordering a few things for the YXZ tomorrow so Ill order some as well. Been trying to find a nice steering wheel but haven't had much luck.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have always used Maxima trans oils in my 2 stroke bike transmissions, As well in the honda CR/TRX 450's trans.
Which ever type/brand or weight you use double check the specs.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I've always was told that too. It was way back when synthetics first came out though and shops
said it will make the clutches slip. I suppose they didn't really know if it would do this or not?
I used it any way even in our old 250 Big Red and other auto Hondas
with no slippage.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I just run T6 in everything I own works great and can get it anywhere

Reactions: McKay
1 - 10 of 10 Posts