Yamaha YXZ Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Every time I launch my new YXZ its a nose dive landing, no matter if I lift at launch, full throttle. Doesn't Matter. Saw a racing thread showed the same. Whats the Fix or any ideas?

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
Don't remember who it was, but there's at least one member on here that says his flies perfectly. I'd like to know as well what the secret is to dealing with this tendency.
So far been reluctant to go for any big air on mine because of this....

·
Registered
199 Posts
Don't remember who it was, but there's at least one member on here that says his flies perfectly. I'd like to know as well what the secret is to dealing with this tendency.
So far been reluctant to go for any big air on mine because of this....
RPMADDICT has some video I took of him airing his out. He did a couple front landings before he found the magic elixir. Now he just sails the Yellow Bird.

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
RPMADDICT has some video I took of him airing his out. He did a couple front landings before he found the magic elixir. Now he just sails the Yellow Bird.
...So bust out with that "magic elixir" already! :)

·
Registered
329 Posts
How many miles do you have? I have been pretty well beating on my suspension since mile 1 and there was noticeable settling between 300-350 in the rear. I have been airing it out enough to bottom out the rear on landings but the preload is currently all the way soft in the rear. I adjusted the front to 410 mm today and she feels very nose high. On my big jump if I hit it hard enough (3rd gear around 45 at the base of the ramp and the ramp is not long) the rear bottoms a little on the ramp but it flies flat and goes far and high enough to bottom front and back on landing. If the rear bottoms on takeoff it flies flatter.Ramp length and shape plays a major part but I have been riding a dirt bike motocross track and can hit most everything. I do not have another side by side to compare too (I have not seen any other side by sides on the motocross track) but she started off very nose down on all jumps but now is flying quite well. Anything with a flat ramp face (atleast 10' i guess, not long but not a short dirt bike ramp) it stays very flat. I will say I have not been able to hit much that was sxs specific except for the few I have made.
Set the preload to soft in the rear and the upper side of normal in the front.
I would tighten the front compression (high speed 1 turn low speed 1/2 turn). Loosen the rebound a couple clicks.
Rear I would tighten high speed 1/4 and loosen low speed 1/2.
My rebound in the rear is 5 clicks out from full firm.
Try that if you want and explore from there.
If you want I can check my current shock settings and report them but if I remember correctly that is the ballpark I am at.
Keep in mind the rear springs take longer to settle than the front bc they are stiffer.
Somebody should measure ride height front and rear off of the showroom and then measure again after a few hundred miles assuming they do not adjust there shocks it would be nice for them to measure every few hundred miles and report.
I hope this helps and I apologize for my post being so jumbled.

·
Registered
404 Posts
I think there are some solid points made by Blan. Particularly the fact that this suspension takes some serious abuse or miles before it is broken in. Here is my input on jump styles. There are some faces that are just going to send you nose first. The rebound combined with wheelbase just cannot overcome short faces. The machine must settle into a near equal preload front/rear on a jump face or you're going to struggle to get the attitude you require. That's with all SXS. I know that's a lot of 'duh', so let me hit my next point.

Drive this bird like a MX bike! You have a clutch so USE it. I am not talking about feathering it on the takeoff. What I am saying is that the driver chooses where s/he wants to place the power to get the attitude where s/he needs. It's not the delay of a CVT, so downshift and use the throttle to drive the face of the jump as opposed to using mostly momentum. Honestly, the only 'secret' we can share is slow down a bit on the approach (a very brief second), either be IN the power curve or down shift, and then hit full throttle right at the final 10-20 feet at jump face. You're transferring weight and force to the back and PUSHING it forward and UP. This tactic also 'rocks' the vehicle a bit, pushing inertia to front and then swinging it to the back which will unweight the front end. yeah...no, this won't always work. But It does for me 9/10 :)

Once you're suspension is dialed in, then you will no problem finding the technique. This is good stuff. My earliest reviews complained of stiff, unbalanced suspension. I do not have that same problem. A good 300 miles will do it. I since have dialed in much MORE compression. Get your ride height dialed in!!!!

Good luck! Don't be discouraged just yet.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Rpm addict that is a good way to describe take off and is exactly how I jump. I slow down so I can throttle up the ramp and through the ramp. Gear selection is critical to keep the nose up and ypu have to accelerate through the jump.
I am still dialing in the shocks and keep adding high speed compression to keep from bottoming. I am also about to add preload back into the rear.
Also i feel that that it still may be settling a little.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Yes she flies flat. I went to durhamtown and aired it out a lot. I lost the rear skid plate and I think it was from bottoming out hard. It is easy to overshoot the landings bc she likes to fly :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts