Yamaha YXZ Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to decide if I should go to Glamis at Halloween during the Camp RZR or wait to ride at Thanksgiving. I went last year on Halloween but it was almost too busy. I could wait to go on the Thanksgiving week but I not sure if their would be a lot of riders on the holiday weekend. This may sound like a dumb question but it is a 5000 mile round trip for me to drive from Atlanta GA. So Is any one on here planning to go either occasion? Im sure it would be cooler in November and wouldn't like to get stranded in the dunes by myself. lol

· Registered
4,473 Posts
Both times are extremely busy because they are holiday weekends. Camp Rzr is the weekend before Halloween. Thanksgiving will have a much larger crowd because some people go for the whole week. There's a possibility of a big event happening this year during New Years. Don't have details yet but it comes from the most credible source possible, so we'll see what evolves.

· Premium Member
3,623 Posts
I go on the Presidents day, right between Halloween and Thanksgiving. My round trip is about 3000 miles, I go to ride not people watch but there is enough out that weekend you can sit on top of Olds or at the drags and pass some time.

· Registered
4,473 Posts
If your coming that far I would plan for a longer trip. Either start or end your trip on a holiday so you can enjoy both crazy crowd and then the serenity when everyone leaves. The dunes are peaceful and even a little Erie before or after the holidays.

· Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well thanks guys, well I am probably leaning toward the thanksgiving. It will give me a few more weeks to make some cash for the expensive trip. I have rented a 26 foot rv trailer to be dropped off and set up at a wash on the week of thanksgiving. So I would have to move my reservations if I go on Halloween. I also wasn't sure If I would be the only yxz out their on thanksgiving or not. I hate the fact I went last year because it is a little addicting. I also just bought aluminum car hauler just to make the trip easier for when I go. I plan on staying for 4 days. Not sure if that is too long or not. Sorry Im a east coast mountain guy. Just trying to venture out of my f**** circle.

· Registered
101 Posts
Lol, I promise you wont be the only YXZ out on thanksgiving. There will be LITERALLY HUNDREDS of them out there that weekend. Tgiving is a bit better IMO because its cooler. Halloween last year saw temps in the upper 90's during the day. Either weekend is busy, and like some said, depending if you like to people watch they are both fun holidays. I like the drags on the busy weekends but to be fair it is FAR more dangerous riding in the dunes on very busy weekends. Just the shear number of units in the dunes on holidays becomes a statistically higher probability of having an issue. Couple that with the drunks and it can get hairy. I like to people watch on holidays and ride during the weekdays during off peak times. Dont go in the dunes alone, find yourself a group to ride with, almost anyone will let you tag along. Ill be there both of those weekends. I only have 1 full season under my belt, so ill be looking for more experienced groups to ride with as well. Enjoy!

· Registered
4,473 Posts
Lol, I promise you wont be the only YXZ out on thanksgiving. There will be LITERALLY HUNDREDS of them out there that weekend. Tgiving is a bit better IMO because its cooler. Halloween last year saw temps in the upper 90's during the day. Either weekend is busy, and like some said, depending if you like to people watch they are both fun holidays. I like the drags on the busy weekends but to be fair it is FAR more dangerous riding in the dunes on very busy weekends. Just the shear number of units in the dunes on holidays becomes a statistically higher probability of having an issue. Couple that with the drunks and it can get hairy. I like to people watch on holidays and ride during the weekdays during off peak times. Dont go in the dunes alone, find yourself a group to ride with, almost anyone will let you tag along. Ill be there both of those weekends. I only have 1 full season under my belt, so ill be looking for more experienced groups to ride with as well. Enjoy!
I agree with these comments. Dune riding is always safer in a group if they have experience. It will also get you to see more areas than you might see otherwise. Also, if you have ani ssue of any kind you have help. I am hoping to be out there for both of those weekends.

· Registered
485 Posts
I would do Thanksgiving over Halloween. Weather is much cooler and there might actually be slightly less people riding in the dunes.

Halloween with Camp RZR is stupid busy and usually very hot. You have a bunch of People that are just there for the Camp RZR and no clue what they are doing in the dunes.

Thanksgiving will give you more time for the amount of miles you travel.

Thanksgiving will have the shit show at Olds and the drags, if that is what you want to check out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
554 Posts
My opinion you should triple down, let me tell you how.
1st you drive down to Glamis for Halloween spend a few days, then you pull your trailer up the road 35 miles or so to Ocotillo wells to Leapin Lizard RV Park spend the night
or two if you have time. Then you take advantage of their locked rv storage, only $50 for a month, have somebody drop you off at airport (Ontario Calif not too far)
fly home, then you return for Thanksgiving. Ocotillo has an awesome Thanksgiving pot luck they deep fry a bunch of turkeys and everyone staying at the RV park brings
sides to the table. Next you return to Glamis for a few more days and drive your trailer back home.

· Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I just might try both weekends. I do however much appreciate the info on here and look forward to meeting up with y'all out their in the sand. I am going to finish up loose ends, then finalize my trip or trips. Should be picking up my new 18 ft.Aluminum car hauler today. This should make my trips much lighter. Trying to figure out what paddles to buy, and Radio intercom Land vehicle Vehicle All-terrain vehicle Automotive tire Tire

· Registered
4,473 Posts
Desertdog, we gotta hook up out there this season. All my buddies run sand rails, I'd rather be running with other sxs.
No problem. A guy in my camping group usually organizes a YXZ group ride during thanksgiving. Last year we had around 35 or so YXZ's. I'm sure he will do the same thing this year since we now have 4 or 5 YXZ's in our camping group.

· Registered
726 Posts
Trying to decide if I should go to Glamis at Halloween during the Camp RZR or wait to ride at Thanksgiving. I went last year on Halloween but it was almost too busy. I could wait to go on the Thanksgiving week but I not sure if their would be a lot of riders on the holiday weekend. This may sound like a dumb question but it is a 5000 mile round trip for me to drive from Atlanta GA. So Is any one on here planning to go either occasion? Im sure it would be cooler in November and wouldn't like to get stranded in the dunes by myself. lol
Bring your rig out here and keep it at the RV storage across the Hwy and fly back and forth for the winter!

· Registered
418 Posts
If your coming that far I would plan for a longer trip. Either start or end your trip on a holiday so you can enjoy both crazy crowd and then the serenity when everyone leaves. The dunes are peaceful and even a little Erie before or after the holidays.
Couldn't agree more about the Erie part specially when u are there for the party during thanksgiving or Halloween then u wake up Monday and NOTHING. In sight for miles...... glamisrapture

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.