Yamaha YXZ Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2021 YXZ1000r SS SE Black and Yellow
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I decided to do a turbo first, then LT. My goal with the turbo set up is around 200hp. I think I am going to order from Alba, they have the GYTR kit and ECU re-flash for $5,900.

This is everything included:
-Upgrade-able to 350hp with injectors a Alba Racing re-flash.
-Genuine Garrett ball bearing GT2860rs turbocharger.
-GYTR ECU with real map based table and map sensor.
-Air to water intercooler setup.
-Tig welded short turbo manifold.
-Tig welded Aluminum intake manifold.
-Oversize Donaldson airbox assembly.
-Braided stainless steel lines and an fittings.
-High quality silicone couplers and clamps.

What else should I get to achieve around 200hp? After labor is this going to cost $10k or more?

·
Registered
2019 YXZ1000R SS SE White
356 Posts
Once I get done preparing my GYTR Turbo Gen 1 setup to my liking, I'll probably have a full extra GYTR turbo kit lol.

If you have nothing right now just get the GYTR Turbo Gen 2 kit (probably all that is available anymore anyway) and call it a day. You could also probably piece together stuff too.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Not sure exactly why, but Alba prefers the V1 kit. I was told that they helped develop it with Yamaha so it's supposedly “their deal”. Second hand info so who knows….

But I will be stopping in to talk with them (hopefully Nate) next week. Want to be sure this new (used) V1 kit will function properly on my 2021 before I go down that road…

I also plan to find out their tried and true formula for the V1 with an exhaust. I will report back to you Rob.

·
Registered
2019 YXZ1000R SS SE White
356 Posts
Not sure exactly why, but Alba prefers the V1 kit. I was told that they helped develop it with Yamaha so it “their deal”. Second hand info so who knows….

But I will be stopping in to talk with them (hopefully Nate) next week. Want to be sure this new (used) V1 kit will function properly on my 2021 before I go down that road…

I also plan to find out their tried and true formula for the V1 with an exhaust. I will report back to you Rob.
The Gen 1 kit is more fabricated parts, which is typically more sought after and NOT a cost reduction. The Gen 2 kit has some solid improvements but also has some cost cutting parts too.

My quick general observations between those kits:
1) Intercooling (Water/Air) system is better on Gen 2, thanks to a larger front radiator and added fan, which will help keep IATs under better control.
2) The exhaust manifold is better on Gen 1 (equal length fabricated Gem), but Gen 2 could be ok if its a solid casting too.
3) The TIG'd Aluminum Intake Manifold on the Gen 1 is definitely better, the full silicone unit on the Gen 2 is a very cheap piece that is a huge cost savings measure (and somewhat of a risk factor).
4) The Gen 1 GT2860RS turbo is quite a bit more expensive, but a bit overkill for one looking for optimum spool. If you are always riding in Wide Open areas then a Gen 1 turbo is the way to go IMO. If you are always riding trails/hills/tight stuff for the most part, and either have an SS or want to limit power to sub 190-200whp, then the Gen 2 GT2554R turbo is the way to go. The benefit to oversizing the turbo however could be better boost control (ie. no boost creep risks especially with aftermarket exhaust) PLUS lower backpressure if you are pushing boost higher and higher (ie. loftier power goals).
5) The Gen 1 uses a Donaldson airbox which is better protecting from the elements, the Gen 2 seems to have a panel filter (advertised as offering a "cool turbo spool noise!")
6) The exhaust flange/piping and fore/aft compressor plumbing are the same on both kits, albeit the fore portion a bit different at the airbox connection points.

That all said which kit is better is debatable, as it can vary upon your preferred driving style and power goals.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Not sure exactly why, but Alba prefers the V1 kit. I was told that they helped develop it with Yamaha so it “their deal”. Second hand info so who knows….

Dasa developed the kit. Shortly after Alba started to push this kit with their tuning and fueling package options. Last I gathered about 1+ years ago, Dasa was gonna be making these kits for Alba. However, Yamaha had to give the rubber stamp of approval since it was “their” licensed Yamaha product. Never know if this happened. I acquired a 2016-2018 kit while waiting for both Yamaha/Dasa and Weller (Gen2) kits.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I put the V1 kit on my 21 3 pedal with the DLP air to air intercooler, trinity exhaust, and Alba stage 2 tune. I couldn't be happier. It has good manners when you need it to, and is a blast when you just hammer down. The transformation from stock is a true holy shit moment. It made 178 to the tire on a buddies dyno and I don't know if I could shift it fast enough with more power. Good times!!!

·
Registered
117 Posts
I put the V1 kit on my 21 3 pedal with the DLP air to air intercooler, trinity exhaust, and Alba stage 2 tune. I couldn't be happier. It has good manners when you need it to, and is a blast when you just hammer down. The transformation from stock is a true holy shit moment. It made 178 to the tire on a buddies dyno and I don't know if I could shift it fast enough with more power. Good times!!!
How much boost, and I assume you are still on 91 octane?

·
Registered
2021 yxz 1000r
70 Posts
Once I get done preparing my GYTR Turbo Gen 1 setup to my liking, I'll probably have a full extra GYTR turbo kit lol.

If you have nothing right now just get the GYTR Turbo Gen 2 kit (probably all that is available anymore anyway) and call it a day. You could also probably piece together stuff too.
Yooo I REALLY want a turbo, lemme know if ya wanna sell it

·
Registered
12 Posts
Ok so I decided to do a turbo first, then LT. My goal with the turbo set up is around 200hp. I think I am going to order from Alba, they have the GYTR kit and ECU re-flash for $5,900.

This is everything included:
-Upgrade-able to 350hp with injectors a Alba Racing re-flash.
-Genuine Garrett ball bearing GT2860rs turbocharger.
-GYTR ECU with real map based table and map sensor.
-Air to water intercooler setup.
-Tig welded short turbo manifold.
-Tig welded Aluminum intake manifold.
-Oversize Donaldson airbox assembly.
-Braided stainless steel lines and an fittings.
-High quality silicone couplers and clamps.

What else should I get to achieve around 200hp? After labor is this going to cost $10k or more?
I would put pistons and rods in it first before anything. The new rods are stronger but not strong enough for 300 horses. You are gambling at that point

1 - 11 of 11 Posts