Yamaha YXZ Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Morning everyone,

This will be my first SxS purchase and I'm looking for some more experienced opinions. After a fair bit of debating i've decided on the YXZ 1000R and found what looks to be a good deal from a private party. I've always had pretty good luck using fb marketplace for atv's/xj's. The model in question is a 2016 for $10k in excellent condition. Seller claims this vehicle was disposed of by Yahama for a QC reason (bad weld on rear frame) and removed the VIN number (salvaged). Seller purchased from the scrap yard and replaced the section of frame. Seller has bill of sale but no title. It's been rhinolined but looks garage kept from the pictures. I'll be inspecting it for signs of abuse and test driving. Does this sound plausible?

Besides recreation I intend to register and plate it to use during tailgate season (It's legal where I live). Since in order to register it I need the VIN is this going to create issue? Any way around this? Any insight is appreciated, thanks.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Some of these are driven hard and don't have frame damage. This one sounds like it's had both. Too many low mileage/hour/use YXZs out there to settle just because the $$$$ is low. Spend a bit more if you have to and get what you want while having piece of mind. If your first post is asking a question such as you did above, then I think you already know the answer.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
I would not even consider that vehicle, wait and find another. I could not even sell mine in piece of mind because i nosed it and bent the frame a little. I just saw a new ‘19 for sale near me for $14,999 at Temecula motorsports i wish could just pick that one up for a second one too. Wait and there are some good used ones out there, if that is what you want don’t take anything without a serial number or with a salvage title, would most likely be a mistake.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you everyone, it seems the consensus is to run. Found another for 14k with transferable warranty till 2021. In any case hoping to join the YXZ family soon.
As a side note: Does anyone have a rough estimate of ownership costs & common issues to look out for with these? I normally check a vehicles average 10 year costs before purchasing, obviously that’s more difficult to estimate with a UTV given the way their driven. Also any advice on theft prevention measures is welcome (live in Apt complex with an interesting diversity of crack heads that like to roam through).

·
Registered
20 Posts
Thank you everyone, it seems the consensus is to run. Found another for 14k with transferable warranty till 2021. In any case hoping to join the YXZ family soon.
As a side note: Does anyone have a rough estimate of ownership costs & common issues to look out for with these? I normally check a vehicles average 10 year costs before purchasing, obviously that’s more difficult to estimate with a UTV given the way their driven. Also any advice on theft prevention measures is welcome (live in Apt complex with an interesting diversity of crack heads that like to roam through).
Just depends on where you drive and how you drive and if you are going to do upgrades or not. A lot of people take the stock cage off and replace it for better safety. As well as relocating the radiator for better cooling. I'd say common issues would be clutch and axles but just depends on how you drive and what stuff you're hitting.

Your best bet for anti theft is to buy an enclosed trailer and have a boot on it plus a big padlock on the hitch. I wouldn't leave my YXZ in the open even with a detached steering wheel, kill switch etc. They'd just take the wheels and the shocks and other stuff. Or see if someone you know has an extra parking spot at their house or their land that you can park the trailer at for a little cash every month.

Ownership costs are just how detailed you are and if you are big into creating a build. But basics would be things like oil change kit, basic tools, air filters, spare tire for front and rear, power washer, soaps etc. All on you to decide how often you want to change your oil, filters etc.

·
Registered
20 Posts
You shouild check out the group YXZ Addicts on facebook. There are a lot of people on it and its very active every day. I think the forum is more of a place for technical stuff and the facebook group you would get a lot more responses on general things like this

·
Registered
759 Posts
We all know we are not buying an investment when we buy these things, but this one seems like a big risk that I would not take for $10K. There are plenty out there at close to this same price that don't have these kinds of issues. Surprised that Yamaha didn't destroy this machine.... Something seems very fishy with the story.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Can’t imagine Yamaha would want a non vin vehicle running around. Something sounds funny, why mask it with rhino liner. Hmmmmmm

·
Registered
577 Posts
Yeah... sounds very fishy! I highly doubt Yamaha would release a YXZ that was defective from factory. It would probably be destroyed. It’s possible it could be a stolen YXZ with the VIN removed and a lame story to go with it. Is there any other place on the YXZ with the VIN on it? Otherwise, I would pass on this one like said in above replies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks again everyone for the advice. Found a much nicer 16” with 600miles for 12500. Has plenty of upgrades, very excited to join the family.

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
Can’t imagine Yamaha would want a non vin vehicle running around. Something sounds funny, why mask it with rhino liner. Hmmmmmm
I would guess it was a salvage auction buy and the frame was replaced, the new frames don't come with a serial number on them, and most auction cars only come with a bill of sale.

OP, look around a bit, there's some really nice cars out there with low mileage for great prices right now. Good luck!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Good choice, I know the one you are talking about and it has been for sale forever. Definitely something fishy. Good luck on your search, I found my 16 for $13000 at a dealer and it was already upgraded the way I would have wanted it plus warranty til 2021

·
Registered
1 Posts
If you have a suspicious purchase, I recommend vin checker. This will help you avoid buying a stolen car or one that was in an accident. so don't ignore this check. For example, I check with Vininspect . good service

1 - 17 of 17 Posts