Yamaha YXZ Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2016 that I bought new. I only have 1000 miles on it. I will be using the car a lot more now. I was thinking about getting a new car but I have decided to keep the 2016. I will be upgrading the car to my liking. I have a set of 2019 gears order, have a new in box MPI turbo kit and I will be getting a Fireball long travel. The question that I have regards tire selection. I will be registering the car in AZ so I can be street legal. There will be very little pavement use however the tires have to have the DOT certification to be legal. With the 2019 gears I will be going with a 29 or 30” tire. I will be using the car in desert and forested terrain. The stock Bighorns work very well in sand and loose rocky climbs. Would like to get something that works well in these situations. Was thinking about using my stock non bead lock wheels. Also concerned about tire weight and how it affects performance. I will be carrying a spare. Any input / recommendations? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
I went to 30 inch STI X Comps with ITP ultra lite racing wheels. Excellent except for deep mud , 10 ply and DOT approved. Turn on a dime, very square tire

·
Registered
631 Posts
You can get the limited street use tag for AZ and you don't have to have DOT rated tires to get that tag. I think it only cost $5. Are you going for the full street use registration? I have driven several miles on main roads and never been hassled. Sounds like the limited use is all you need based on your use case. If and when I make a gearing move, I will probably just move to 29" Bighorns to keep the weight down. I have found them to be a very good tire for the weight. Of course you can destroy them, but you can destroy any tire with the right hit.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You can get the limited street use tag for AZ and you don't have to have DOT rated tires to get that tag. I think it only cost $5. Are you going for the full street use registration? I have driven several miles on main roads and never been hassled. Sounds like the limited use is all you need based on your use case. If and when I make a gearing move, I will probably just move to 29" Bighorns to keep the weight down. I have found them to be a very good tire for the weight. Of course you can destroy them, but you can destroy any tire with the right hit.
I am getting the limited 80/20 tag. It was my understanding that you need DOT tires to go on pavement legally. There is also a liability aspect if you get in an accident. I have a dual sport Husky on which I only run DOT knobby tires. A guy I ride with is an attorney and he will only use DOT tires on his ktm. We ride probably 95% dirt. However I do live in California. I will do more research. Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you are going the same front and rear you can go 30x10R-14. Tensor Regulator A/T tires are DOT approved and do well on the street and deserts in AZ. Please let us know if we can help.
I have been considering the Regulators. I was thinking about using the wheels that came with the yxz. Another option would be to get two more stock front wheels which are 14x7.5. Do you have any DOT tires that will work on afore mentioned front and 14x9.5 rears? I also will be looking at a set of the ss360 sand tires in 30”. Thanks, Dennis Buckley.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts