Yamaha YXZ Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
looking at "off road" GPS, as where we plan on going, is beyond the middle of nowhere,
actually its near the grand canyon,, and desert mountians, so easy to loose track of where you are,
also. its indian reservation land, and some of them are still playing cowboy and indians,

anyone have a gps, and recommend it? or not!

thx

·
Registered
76 Posts
I haven’t purchased this equipment as of yet but I had seen a YouTube video that caught my eye and have done some research since. It should work perfectly as described without cell service or wifi.
The Garmin Glo2 apparently links to allll navigation satellites for constant nav info.
Then it simply Bluetooths to the inexpensive tablet. I’m assuming both items to be wired to stay charged.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I haven’t purchased this equipment as of yet but I had seen a YouTube video that caught my eye and have done some research since. It should work perfectly as described without cell service or wifi.
The Garmin Glo2 apparently links to allll navigation satellites for constant nav info.
Then it simply Bluetooths to the inexpensive tablet. I’m assuming both items to be wired to stay charged.
The Garmin Glo2 last about 12 hrs on a charge and can be used while charging from 12v acc plug. Works great and no need for cell service with the Glo2. Download maps when you have service then you are set. Glo2 cost about $100.

·
Registered
385 Posts
there are a few things about the Magaellan TRX7 that I don't like (like the price & a little clunky) But it is nice that you can record and follow your bread crumbs back to truck if get lost. It does have an amazing amount of trails available if you download a section you are heading before leaving home. Had mine for 4 years with major issues

·
Administrator
2018 SE, CageWRX cage, 2019 Gears, Rekluse Clutch, Trinity exhaust, Weller tune,RR Intercom & Radio,
518 Posts
Not to hijack your thread @desertdust .

Caveat to @darkjuju post about older devices.

IF someone goes this route. Before you purchase an older device confirm that it has a GPS chip. Many devices can do mapping, etc but do not have a GPS chip. These will not work with apps like Locus or Oryx or other mapping software.

Sorry for the hijack.

Nate

·
Registered
87 Posts
I got a samsung tablet with gps and downloaded back country navigator app you can select the areas you want to ride in and down load them before you ride then you have gps and dont need wifi .

i just downloaded polaris ride command( free app) seems pretty good so far. i have not used it on the trail yet will check it out over the 4 of july weekend

·
Registered
76 Posts
Mamat.. I like your setup and not digging at all.. an inexpensive Samsung tablet all day long coolio. And use with whichever app someone wants to use.
my question is why not add a Garmin Glo2 or other GPS receiver for another $150ish to 100% guarantee you have a working map anywhere anytime? Without downloading anything before hand or even give it another thought. Like I said. It’s a curious question.. not a dig.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I have a cheep Samsung tablet with GPS that I do a share with my iphone. The tablet was around $200. and $30 for a mount that I put it on. If you have marginal cell service you might need to do a download of the GPS area definitions to help with the lack of service. I just did a 3 day ride in Michigan's UP that is mostly National Forest and the cell service is very spotty and it worked just find for me.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts