Yamaha YXZ Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went riding last weekend and blew a front outter cv joint doing some 4x4 donuts, whoops. Had to drive a few miles back to the truck but all seemed well enough. Washed it today at my parents since they have a pressure washer and I do not yet and wasn't able to use a trailer but I only live a mile from them so I drove it home and at some point the axle bound up and made a few new Windows in my diff housing. I'm going to open it up and see what all is trashed but I'm leaning toward just getting a whole unit off eBay from a totaled yxz. That still kind of makes me nervous as you never know what those used ones went through or how many miles were really on them. Do I have any other options as I'm gonna assume most of the diff I have now will need replaced? I've never opened a diff like these before so I'm not exactly sure what all I should really check other than gears and bearings.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They have one now with 1500 miles and a stuck cv joint, could be more problems than it's worth, new unit is around $1400, looks like I can't just get the ring gear I have to get the whole limited slip unit which is $400 alone. Looks like I might be down a few months

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
You should be able to get a used one from AZ for around 500 with low mileage, they just raised the prices on them, I got one off them about six months ago for a spare for 350 and it's like new. They do advertise the mileage correct because I bid on just about every unit they end up with. They are just buying up every salvage unit that goes up, and their paying 8-9K for them and I won't, hell ad in the 3K for a frame and cage and you might as well just go buy a new unit. They also give you a 30 day warrantee.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You should be able to get a used one from AZ for around 500 with low mileage, they just raised the prices on them, I got one off them about six months ago for a spare for 350 and it's like new. They do advertise the mileage correct because I bid on just about every unit they end up with. They are just buying up every salvage unit that goes up, and their paying 8-9K for them and I won't, hell ad in the 3K for a frame and cage and you might as well just go buy a new unit. They also give you a 30 day warrantee.
I'm hoping I can find one at least under 1000 miles. I'd probably get they one AZ has now but it has cv stuck in it and they removed the axle shaft from it so it could be a pain to get out and I wouldn't know if there was any other issues of why it's stuck until I got it and tried removing it. If you want to sell that spare diff of yours Zilla I'd gladly pay more than you did for it.

·
Registered
285 Posts
They have one now with 1500 miles and a stuck cv joint, could be more problems than it's worth, new unit is around $1400, looks like I can't just get the ring gear I have to get the whole limited slip unit which is $400 alone. Looks like I might be down a few months
There are currently at least 4 on eBay.....

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Cody, AZ has several for sale and they tell the mileage on them. I need to keep mine so I have a extra in the trailer, it's for the SS anyway, that makes a difference so be aware when you go to buy one. Just Google AZ cycle and their ebay store will come up, go into that and on the left side scroll down to YXZ and it will bring up all YXZ parts, like I said, they have several right now.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Alright thanks guys. I was only finding the one last night and just found the others after I replied last, I'm just gonna blame the phone lol. Thanks for the heads up on there being a difference in the SS version I had no idea there.

I'm still surprised a blew this one so soon, only 600 miles I just find it hard to believe the cv that's pretty much shattered to pieces locked up enough to cause the diff to fail especially being an open design, and with the amount of oil I have on my garage floor it had to happen right as I was pulling in, one hole is very low in the case. Are these coming apart a common problem? I do ride hard as where I am is very tight technical muddy and rocky areas but don't do any high rpm clutch dumping in 4x4 and very rarely use diff lock.

Thanks again guys really appreciate it.

·
Registered
285 Posts
The front diff is the same part number for the 2016 & 2017 SS or R 2HC-46160-10-00
Not quite....

The 2017 and 2018 models, both stick and flappy paddle, have part # 2HC-46160-10.

The number you quote is for the 2016 model. I have no idea what the difference is .......

Attachments

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hmmm interesting lol I went ahead and got one that was for a 16 and had 159 miles now to start tearing mine apart and wait for the new one

Thanks again guys

·
Registered
400 Posts
Not quite....

The 2017 and 2018 models, both stick and flappy paddle, have part # 2HC-46160-10.

The number you quote is for the 2016 model. I have no idea what the difference is .......
Interesting?

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Well got the old diff out and torn apart to see if any chance in fixing it for a spare, that's a big ol nope. Two teeth came off the spider gears and tore this thing to shreads. Case was chewed up and almost cracked in half, ring gear is trashed, spider assembly is trashed, the pinion and where the axles slide in may be the only thing on the inside salvageable. Hope this was a fluke thing

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
I kinda thought you had the spider gears come apart and locked up the diff that caused the CV to explode, until it ventilated the diff housing. Well Bro, that really sux. Easy fix, just not so easy on the pocket.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm not sure what order everything went wrong unfortunately. Cv blew during a 4x4 donut, I was turning left during it and blew a right outter joint which is weird since that wheel should be getting little to no power in a left hand turn. Other than the cv breaking I never heard any noise from the diff and from the amount of oil on my garage floor it didn't crack the case till the last few feet of driving so hard to know when the spiders went. Either the diff locked up and popped the axle all at once or at some point after the cv broke it got on a bind and tore out the spiders. It is an easy enough fix except for yes the financial part. Wish I knew how it all happened to try to prevent it from happening again

1 - 20 of 23 Posts