Yamaha YXZ Forums banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I know Im very excited to try mine after this is how my stock front diff ended up last weekend. I busted two teeth off a few weeks ago on a hill climb at rush offroad, took out the broken teeth, patched the case and ran it for the time being. Well this weekend i knew Jesse was adding their 4 spider carrier to my replacement diff so I wanted to see what a stock hurt diff would take. Ended up stripping out 11 teeth total from the spiders and 2 teeth from the side gears as well, wouldnt actually turn all 4 wheels in diff lock if it wasnt lined up properly. Needly to say i couldve painted a boat with the metallic flake that was my diff fluid. Weirdly enough I hear that running in diff lock is what busts the spider gears but both my diffs have broken in normal 4wd. Last one i was full throttle in 1st gear on a short steep rock climb and when I came back down on the front wheels i heard a pop and that was it. So dont think you may not need this upgrade if you never use diff lock. 1st diff that went i wasnt even in 4wd when it broke, front axle broke and then locked up briefly on pavement and shock loaded the gears.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Nice! Who makes those three pin carriers? Would be great if spartan or lockright made a lunchbox locker that would fit in there.

·
Registered
7 Posts
"We have been making them for awhile.... It took awhile to get the billet gears machine process down.
We will be in full production by Jan 1 2021"

These will be a lockable 4 pinion replacement diff?
I've come across some nice looking 4 pinion diffs being produced, but they've only been basic open differential units which wouldn't work for me.

·
Registered
18 Posts
"We have been making them for awhile.... It took awhile to get the billet gears machine process down.
We will be in full production by Jan 1 2021"

These will be a lockable 4 pinion replacement diff?
I've come across some nice looking 4 pinion diffs being produced, but they've only been basic open differential units which wouldn't work for me.
These are lockable front carriers with billet spider gears and 4 gear configuration.
I also made the non locking carriers as well...

·
Registered
29 Posts
Has there been any testing done with just the billet spiders installed in a stock carrier?
Can these spiders gears even be used as a direct replacement for the stock spider gears in a stock carrier?
Since we know the stock spiders are crap and almost always the diff and housing damage is caused by broken spider gear teeth, I am just curious how much abuse a stock front diff would be able to handle with just the billet spider gears replaced?

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Has there been any testing done with just the billet spiders installed in a stock carrier?
Can these spiders gears even be used as a direct replacement for the stock spider gears in a stock carrier?
Since we know the stock spiders are crap and almost always the diff and housing damage is caused by broken spider gear teeth, I am just curious how much abuse a stock front diff would be able to handle with just the billet spider gears replaced?
I wouldnt be surprised if the side gears inside the carrier would then start failing. In the last diff I had fail, I had chipped a tooth off of one side gears when the spiders failed, I then patched that diff back together to work for the time being and when it broke more teeth off of the spiders, I caused a lot of damage to those other side gears by breaking at least a tooth or two and denting a few others, they seem to be only marginally stronger than the spiders since they are a hair larger. Its hard to see in the pics above ive posted but on the gear that has the tooth with the #5 on it, its partially missing that tooth.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I wouldnt be surprised if the side gears inside the carrier would then start failing. In the last diff I had fail, I had chipped a tooth off of one side gears when the spiders failed, I then patched that diff back together to work for the time being and when it broke more teeth off of the spiders, I caused a lot of damage to those other side gears by breaking at least a tooth or two and denting a few others, they seem to be only marginally stronger than the spiders since they are a hair larger. Its hard to see in the pics above ive posted but on the gear that has the tooth with the #5 on it, its partially missing that tooth.
Probably true. 4 spider set up is definitely the way to go, to distribute the load.

·
Registered
18 Posts
These gears can be used in OEM carriers.
We are in the process of testing them in our carriers. We will test them in an OEM carrier to see if they are suitable for replacement.
As Cody said the side gears might go next...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Awesome to hear.
Is there an established waiting list or notification list started for these new lockable 4 pinion front diffs?

·
Registered
18 Posts
No, Alan Anderson is my go to distributor.
The few people that have them were doing R&D.
We have decided to release them, now that we have over 2 years of results. Billet spider gears were the missing link, and now that we have the manufacturing process down, we can produce the carrier without purchasing a new LSD for two gears.
Thanks for your interest

·
Registered
42 Posts
Cool I hope this is going to solve the problem for the people who are blowing front diffs and for the people who want a good upgrade to prevent a ruined ride

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Get ahold of Jesse at Meticulous Detail Manufacturing. You have to have a good diff for this, you need the case, ring and pinion gear, seals etc. This kit is for a new carrier and 4 billet spider gears.

I havent had mine long with only about 50 miles but fit and finish were great and so far no issues at all.

Reactions: TJV250R
21 - 38 of 38 Posts