Yamaha YXZ Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all,
I'm new to this site and am looking for advice. I had the local dealer install the gear reduction kit from Yamaha and sense the install keep getting an error code sh_46 , when this occurs the shift indicator goes blank the tranny goes to neutral and when I come to a stop the unit shuts down. Very frustrating as I have had it back at the shop over a half dozen times and this has carried on for over 8 months. if anyone can help please reply!!!
thanks,
DuneRider

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
Hello all,
I'm new to this site and am looking for advice. I had the local dealer install the gear reduction kit from Yamaha and sense the install keep getting an error code sh_46 , when this occurs the shift indicator goes blank the tranny goes to neutral and when I come to a stop the unit shuts down. Very frustrating as I have had it back at the shop over a half dozen times and this has carried on for over 8 months. if anyone can help please reply!!!
thanks,
DuneRider
I'd call either Weller (preferred) or TubeWorks and ask for some help. They'll put you in right direction.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I just had my ecu flashed by weller to help with cold starting now it will not fire at all and I have this 46 code on my dash?? I’m so confused with what’s going on. Please report back with what you find out about the code 46 if you get any answers please!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have a 17 SS with MPI and GYTR gear reduction, and I'm not positive on the code, but I had some of the same symptoms. Are you running stock tires? I run 30's all around, and once I did the speedo calibration using GPS, all my problems went away. I'm not sure it is a fix for you, but it seemed weird to me that a speedo calibration fixed it. I can find the name of the vendor who supplies Yamaha and you can go to their website, put in true GPS speed and and what the YXZ speedo is showing, and make the proper percentage change. My unit would not shift and go into limp mode, once the calibration was done, it's never been a problem. Just a thought.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I’m still on stock tires not sure about the op. Just tried again and my bike will not even attempt to fire.... turn key on dash is normal then the miles go away and it just says 46. Crank all you want will not fire. Anyone think the reflash has anything to do with this? I’m a r not a Ss if that makes a difference

·
Registered
606 Posts
Just something to look at is the shift linkage directly under the shifter. There have been a lot of them come loose from the bolts backing out and can cause some issues similar to what you guys are describing.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Thing I don’t understand is never had a problem till I had the ecu flashed well that and really cold temperatures. Why won’t these things start when it’s cold out?? For fun sake my 06 carb rhino that I plow with fires up damn near every day and I just have to look at my yxz!!! Keep the ideas coming please I really don’t want to get rid of it....

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
I have the 16' SE, not the SS. However, I have the Weller re-flash and 6800 miles on my beast and it starts up every time cold, hot, rain, shine, etc. Runs like a champ! I realize there are some fundamental differences with the SS and manual-shift, I wish I could help.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Ok talked to weller he said only code coming up for 46 is something to do with charging. So I put it on the charger for a day or so and the code went away and I finally got it to start today. All seemed good when for a rip around the block 3/4 of the way around started running a shitty on top end 8-10k rpm then I got a puff of smoke that came threw Intake in the battery box?? Stopped nothing was on fire lol so I drove it home. Starts and ideals fine just not sure if I should drive it or have it looked at? I just don’t want to hurt it. Alba sbd tip and weller flash is all I did.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Sh_46 is incorrect gear position. This can be caused by a few items: (1) Check that shift actuator is bolted tightly to trans. (2) do not use any aftermarket clutch fibers, ***Yamaha only***. They cause too much initial drag, and the actuator can’t rotate the shift barrel all the time. This is due to the reduced effort it takes the trans to move or load the dogs (3) reseat the shift position sensor (4) over corrected value input into speedo healer: install stock trans controller and our GSC. (5) ensure clutch stroke is at least .060 by cycling clutch with engine off but ignition on, foot on brake, clutch cover off, select Drive.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well after 11 months looks like my problem has been solved. The dealer did a complete replacement of the gear reduction kit and believe that one of the oil passage ways drilled in the the case that came with the kit was off and not allowing enough oil flow.
Thanks for the help!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts