Yamaha YXZ Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2020 with 180 miles that is hard to start. It hits right off but dies. Takes 5-8 tries before it starts unless I hold the throttle open a little, then maybe only 3. After it starts it smokes a bit and smells rich but cleans up quick. Checked the plugs, coal black, cleaned till I get new. Also has a slight hesitation just off idle until it gets to about 140*. Runs good though, pulled to 75 mph in 5th before I ran out of road. I know it is not right though, my sons fires without touching the throttle and idles great.
I'm thinking TP sensor.
Any thoughts?
Thanks

·
Registered
749 Posts
TP sensor at 180 miles seems kind of unlikely to me. Do you run it until it warms up every time you start it or is the engine getting short cycled? I think short cycling is a more likely issue personally. I would change the plugs and make sure to not short cycle it and see where that gets you. Definitely should fire up without throttle and start to idle right within a minute or so. That is how both of mine act. When its hot out, the idle is normal very quickly.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Could have been, I just got it. Do these reset, like some autos, when you disconnect the battery for a while?

·
Registered
749 Posts
Yes. But I think your fouled plugs are the problem.

·
Registered
45 Posts
It seems to be too new to have a valve lash issue but that's always my starting point for hard to start when cold if that is the issue at all, just an idea.

·
Super Moderator
2018 YXZ1000R SE, CageWRX cage
262 Posts
@3rd Blue May seem a little silly, but, what are you running for fuel? At 180 miles your probably just starting your 3rd tank.

Has it been hard to start since day 1? Or has it progressively gotten worse?

I would agree with @fortrdb clean/change/gap the plugs.

Nate

1 - 6 of 6 Posts