Yamaha YXZ Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I can't go sit in one and eye ball how 4/5 point harness would work with stock seats, has anyone got photos? My hope would be to keep the stock seats but harness would be installed on day 1.

As a side note, I saw a seatbelt light is there any throttle limiter or such like the RZRs? I presume if so that the harness folks have some sort of lock out/defeater for such a thing.

·
Registered
6 Posts
The 4 point harness will mount in the machine but does take modifications and soon the companies will have a hardware kit to help resolve that.

Also there is a seat belt light but the system does not effect performance as the Can-Am and Polaris do.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I see a lot of people run harnesses with stock seats but to me it looks less than ideal and potentially unsafe. I noticed at the Sand Show that the Weller car had harnesses in with stock seats. I'm thinking they just didn't get the after market seats in yet due to the time constraints they had. Maybe p.m 450grl here on the forum or contact Weller Racing. I'm sure they can answer all your questions.

·
Registered
67 Posts
My buddy has proarmor 4-points on his XP1K they look pretty generic. They bolted to the lower belt mount and buckle mount, then looped over the bar behind the seats.
Probably what I will be going with. $100-150 each and have a light on the left strap, phone pocket on the right.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I see a lot of people run harnesses with stock seats but to me it looks less than ideal and potentially unsafe. I noticed at the Sand Show that the Weller car had harnesses in with stock seats. I'm thinking they just didn't get the after market seats in yet due to the time constraints they had. Maybe p.m 450grl here on the forum or contact Weller Racing. I'm sure they can answer all your questions.
corry weller told me she likes the stock seats and is keeping them

·
Registered
314 Posts
Why you think it is unsafe to run 4 point harness with stock seats ?? Just curious....somehow don't make sense.
milos

·
Registered
62 Posts
Why you think it is unsafe to run 4 point harness with stock seats ?? Just curious....somehow don't make sense.
milos
One scenario I see it being unsafe, is if someone flipped it off a trail or mistakenly drove off into a pond and flipped it upside down. Causing it to be one more latch to unlock to get out, or a fire situation.

I say the water situation because I had a family friend total my 2012 rzr xp 900 because he missed the brake pedal and hit our lake doing about 50. Flipped back over the front and stopped upside down. They were VERY VERY lucky to get out of the 4 point harnesses. If a stock seat belt was worn too, they might not have been so lucky.

·
Registered
314 Posts
One scenario I see it being unsafe, is if someone flipped it off a trail or mistakenly drove off into a pond and flipped it upside down. Causing it to be one more latch to unlock to get out, or a fire situation.

I say the water situation because I had a family friend total my 2012 rzr xp 900 because he missed the brake pedal and hit our lake doing about 50. Flipped back over the front and stopped upside down. They were VERY VERY lucky to get out of the 4 point harnesses. If a stock seat belt was worn too, they might not have been so lucky.
I understand what you are saying, but he set to be unsafe with stock seats ....not stock seat belts.
milos

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
Since I can't go sit in one and eye ball how 4/5 point harness would work with stock seats, has anyone got photos? My hope would be to keep the stock seats but harness would be installed on day 1.

As a side note, I saw a seatbelt light is there any throttle limiter or such like the RZRs? I presume if so that the harness folks have some sort of lock out/defeater for such a thing.
Here's a couple pictures I took of the seat bottoms. The bottom cushion just pulls up & out for removal but the frame stays in place

Attachments

·
Registered
83 Posts

I've seen a few 3 wheelers, quads and buggies floating down the canal over the years! I've never worried about myself getting out of a sticking harness buckle but when kids came along it became a concern. Especially in case of fire.

·
Registered
83 Posts
milos
Going back to my first sand rail back in the 80's I was taught the shoulder harnesses should pass thru the seat and run in a straight line from their mounting location and across the shoulders. I've always thought also that the harness mounting bar should be. 4" below where the harnesses pass thru the seats and the preferable method of attachment is tab and bolt. I've never tried running harnesses with stock seats and I don't think it looks ideal. But that said I think it would still be safer to run harnesses with stock seats than to use the stock belts!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Going back to my first sand rail back in the 80's I was taught the shoulder harnesses should pass thru the seat and run in a straight line from their mounting location and across the shoulders. I've always thought also that the harness mounting bar should be. 4" below where the harnesses pass thru the seats and the preferable method of attachment is tab and bolt. I've never tried running harnesses with stock seats and I don't think it looks ideal. But that said I think it would still be safer to run harnesses with stock seats than to use the stock belts!

Depends on where the shoulder belts are passing through. if the angle is too steep then you can run the risk of crushing your spine in a roll over accident. I'd have to take some more measurements next time i see one. the back cross bar might be a little high for wrapping around the bar for the belts. That all depends on how tall you really are.
As always YMMV.

Tom

How-InstallSeatBelt.gif

·
Registered
13 Posts
Having rolled my RZR lemme give you my experience with harnesses. I have 5 point PRP's. Running PRP suspension seats and (at the time) stock bases. The shoulder harnesses go thru the headrest of the seat. I don't use the strap that holds the shoulder harnesses together across the sternum because my shoulders are large enough that the belts won't slip around my shoulders. Came up over the top of a dune too hot, 3 wheels in the air driver's front dug in. Rolled left side, roof, right side, bottom, roof as well as did a couple 360's as if there was an axis from the bottom thru top center of the roof. Came to a stop on the roof. I hung there in the harness, no damage to any of my limbs. The back of my helmet impacted something, most likely the seat frame and rung my bell. I pulled the release on the harness and it came loose just fine, however the way I was hanging was just perfect so that the shoulder and crotch belt remained in place. One wiggle and I was out. After we rolled the RZR back over the seat base on the driver's seat was broken. Busted both front tabs.

The key is how you tighten your harness. The lap belt should be snug across your pelvis bones. If they're higher they can cause internal organ damage if you end up in a wreck. I like a 5 point harness because if the crotch belt is set properly you can tighten the hell out of the lap belt and it won't creep up your abdomen. After the lap belt is tight then adjust the shoulder straps as tight as possible. Even with the broken seat base I didn't go anywhere. I'm now running Dragonfire seat bases on both seats. There won't be any more breakage......

·
Registered
32 Posts
Harnesses will be my first mod! Had 3" Pro Armor in my RZR and loved them! Gonna get the Blue ones this time!

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So if you have many passengers of differing sizes and shapes (think my wife and then my 11 year old), how do you ensure proper fit? I'm coming out of a Jeep with 3 point belts and these will be my first SxS.

·
Registered
846 Posts

I just did the Driver side. I have pictures.

I dont know if everything is required but this is what I did.

Took the bottom seat off..popup and out
Unmounted the seat frame took it out. (see pics)
Took a lot of the plastic cover pieces out (see pics)
Took off stock top shoulder mounts (2 of them)
Took off bottom stock bolts.. was able to fit between plastic to get at outer bolt (see pic)
Took Large wrench and bent the metal that everyone has noted (See pic)
Snipped the wire a few inches after the connector and just twisted wires and pinched it closed with crimps and end piece.
Mounted new lower straps in reverse order.
Looped top straps to OEM bar (awaiting Rino seat inserts and might get PRP bar depending on how secure I feel with Rino inserts alone).

Hope this helps someone. No adapters HW needed for lowers unless you don't want to bend back that metal.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 20 Posts