Yamaha YXZ Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody fit a set of 5 points yet? Like to know what you used. Im looking at Beards 5 point now. Would like them SFI rated.

·
Premium Member
148 Posts
Bar is in place already, I think they will fit it fine but not certain.
Depending on driver height, I think that stock back bar is too high for a harness mount. Top shoulder harness should be mounted 0-10 degrees below the shoulder. Seems like for the average height driver the bar is about mid head height or higher. I think this has to do with spine compression in a roll over, but not exactly sure on that. We'll have a proper mounting solution soon...

·
Registered
167 Posts
Depending on driver height, I think that stock back bar is too high for a harness mount. Top shoulder harness should be mounted 0-10 degrees below the shoulder. Seems like for the average height driver the bar is about mid head height or higher. I think this has to do with spine compression in a roll over, but not exactly sure on that. We'll have a proper mounting solution soon...

this is good information but how then would I accommodate a 5'4 kid and a 5'7" wife in the same seat on different days?

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I can tell you in my highly regulated industry of helicopters, our shoulder belts go over the shoulder and down to the waist per FAA reg. I would like to see the science behind the 0 - 10 degree thing. not being argumentative just like to know who says and why.

·
Registered
138 Posts
this is good information but how then would I accommodate a 5'4 kid and a 5'7" wife in the same seat on different days?
Was just thinking the same thing.. Maybe Ill have my driver seat harnessed and leave the stock one on the passenger side-- Might look ugly but function is more important than form when it comes to safety---

·
Registered
33 Posts
I can tell you in my highly regulated industry of helicopters, our shoulder belts go over the shoulder and down to the waist per FAA reg. I would like to see the science behind the 0 - 10 degree thing. not being argumentative just like to know who says and why.

This is exactly how I buckle in in our Helicopter also.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Was just thinking the same thing.. Maybe Ill have my driver seat harnessed and leave the stock one on the passenger side-- Might look ugly but function is more important than form when it comes to safety---
I don't think I would do that. Beard makes a booster that's really nothing more than a thick pad. I used to use pillows and or folded blankets to keep my kids in snug.

·
Premium Member
148 Posts
I remember this conversation taking place years ago on one of the UTV forums. Don't feel your being argumentative at all and appreciate the informed input. The picture I just got off of the Crow website, they've been making quality restraint systems for a long time and are the line of restraints we sell. Being a former Airframe and Powerplant technician myself, I found your post interesting and started poking around on google just hoping to find that old thread. I came across this on the Aircraft Owners And Pilots webpage. No idea why the discrepancy between how your helicopter is setup and these recommendations? Maybe Helicopter regs are different...

Safety engineers have determined that seat belts should actually be at about a 55-degree angle up from the centerline of the airplane and otherwise should bisect the angle between the seat back and seat bottom. Shoulder straps must find their attach point no more than 40 degrees below your shoulders -- otherwise, sudden forward movement could result in compression of the spine.

url for article Practice some restraint During sudden decelaration, shoulder harnesses take up where seatbelts leave off - Flight Training

·
Registered
404 Posts
We have circa 1960 3 point, 2" belts in the Cessna. Guess they figured you're gonna die anyway so why bother. There are some keen benefits to autorotation.

Anyway, for me the location of the bar is perfect at 6'5". Probably not so much for my little guy but its still better than hanging upside-down with the factory 3-point.

·
Registered
404 Posts
btw - I am using the pro armor harness straps that should keep them in their right place - that is until there are options. Maybe I'll treat you all to pictures when I get home.

·
Premium Member
148 Posts
We have circa 1960 3 point, 2" belts in the Cessna. Guess they figured you're gonna die anyway so why bother. There are some keen benefits to autorotation.

Anyway, for me the location of the bar is perfect at 6'5". Probably not so much for my little guy but its still better than hanging upside-down with the factory 3-point.
Agree, 4 or 5 point restraints is always one of our first mods...

·
Premium Member
148 Posts

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
btw - I am using the pro armor harness straps that should keep them in their right place - that is until there are options. Maybe I'll treat you all to pictures when I get home.
Please do, Iminterested in the floor mount

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Wow, by this day and age, you'd think this would be something that has been figured out and accepted across the board by all manufacturers...
Helo seats usually have their belts as part of the seat itself and the seats are meant to either collapse or break away, this may be the difference.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts