Yamaha YXZ Forums banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not really interested in brand bashing.

I just know on the other big releases, they always post asking for people to share any challenges they may have uncovered as well as any solutions too.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I think it's to soon to see if any problems but some guy's can break a steel hammer lol

If Yamaha did the two year of testing as they claimed we hope most or all bugs are worked out.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I think it's to soon to see if any problems but some guy's can break a steel hammer lol

If Yamaha did the two year of testing as they claimed we hope most or all bugs are worked out.
This machine in its infancy was built in a various stage in Dec 2012.... Lots of test time

·
Registered
677 Posts
I haven't heard of any problems yet, I really didn't expect to really hear about any problems though. So far so good! Its a Yamaha.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I thought it may be a tad early to ask. But I also know some of them are already being put thru the paces.

Surely there are several hundred out there by now too. I even saw pics of one mangled up already. Wasnt on this site tho.
And, while I was in northern Alabama watching the utvrr race, I spoke to 3 other people who had deposits down and none of them knew of this site either.

I also spoke to one dealer out there who had 31 ordered with almost half those having deposits down.

He did not say if he has delivered any yet tho.

·
Registered
225 Posts
A buddy of mine had a shifting linkage issue well at least thats what the shop said I havent talked to him in awhile he said it was stuck btwn 2nd and 3rd gear he got it unstuck but it continued to make a slight grinding noise thats the last i heard not sure if it suffered any internal tranny damage

·
Registered
18 Posts
i'm very interested in issues that might arise now that these things are being put to the test.... Everyone is quick to say they have a far superior machine than polaris or can am before anyone has even had a chance to put one to the test. I see the axles are rather small and the diff is also which concerns me because that's the #1 problem i have with my xp1k. I've owned yfzs and raced them mx at the national level and they were extremely reliable so I would like to think that the sxs will be also but I'm not going to just assume it is because it has a yamaha sticker on the side. My polaris is breaking down every time I take it out (axles, diffs, belts, cv's...ect) so i have a very bitter taste in my mouth with polaris and would love to get a yxz IF they prove to be able to hold up to the beating that i will put it through. Being a mx racer I ride my machines extremely hard and most likely nothing is going to hold up to the abuse I put on my sxs but i'm hopeful that yamaha will be better than polaris.

Am i the only one who feels that the power and suspension of all these machines is too much for the machine itself to handle??? every time I go to the polaris dealer he looks at me like "you again, when are you gonna learn this isn't a trophy truck!!!???". well you gave it 17" of travel, a roll cage and 100+hp what am i suppose to do with it... ride it around the farm watching the corn grow like my grandpa does in his ranger!!!??? Its only fun for me if I push my machine to its limit and you have to get on some pretty nasty hills, rocks, whoops...ect before these things reach that point which almost always leads to axles snapping like twigs and if you put aftermarket axles in the front diff explodes in no time.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Its all about the material the part is made from, As for axles drive line, suspension ect ect doesn't matter how thick or big it is, Its all about the materials used to make it. And its always good to have a weak link then destroying everything. JMHO

·
Registered
505 Posts
Im in the same boat as you and come from a similiar background. Ive owned 2 first year model machines and have had to dump thousands of dollars to get all the weak links and poor engineering up to code in each machine to handle my style of riding. As much as I want a YXZ, I am going to sit back and watch for another 6mo before I commit. Like you I see potential issues, axles,front diff, shocks need reworked, and so on. I figure we should see issues to develop within the next 3-6 months if it is going to have any. Plus that will give the aftermarket companies time to develop their goods to, more to choose from.
i'm very interested in issues that might arise now that these things are being put to the test.... Everyone is quick to say they have a far superior machine than polaris or can am before anyone has even had a chance to put one to the test. I see the axles are rather small and the diff is also which concerns me because that's the #1 problem i have with my xp1k. I've owned yfzs and raced them mx at the national level and they were extremely reliable so I would like to think that the sxs will be also but I'm not going to just assume it is because it has a yamaha sticker on the side. My polaris is breaking down every time I take it out (axles, diffs, belts, cv's...ect) so i have a very bitter taste in my mouth with polaris and would love to get a yxz IF they prove to be able to hold up to the beating that i will put it through. Being a mx racer I ride my machines extremely hard and most likely nothing is going to hold up to the abuse I put on my sxs but i'm hopeful that yamaha will be better than polaris.

Am i the only one who feels that the power and suspension of all these machines is too much for the machine itself to handle??? every time I go to the polaris dealer he looks at me like "you again, when are you gonna learn this isn't a trophy truck!!!???". well you gave it 17" of travel, a roll cage and 100+hp what am i suppose to do with it... ride it around the farm watching the corn grow like my grandpa does in his ranger!!!??? Its only fun for me if I push my machine to its limit and you have to get on some pretty nasty hills, rocks, whoops...ect before these things reach that point which almost always leads to axles snapping like twigs and if you put aftermarket axles in the front diff explodes in no time.

·
Registered
677 Posts
I thought it may be a tad early to ask. But I also know some of them are already being put thru the paces.

Surely there are several hundred out there by now too. I even saw pics of one mangled up already. Wasnt on this site tho.
And, while I was in northern Alabama watching the utvrr race, I spoke to 3 other people who had deposits down and none of them knew of this site either.

I also spoke to one dealer out there who had 31 ordered with almost half those having deposits down.

He did not say if he has delivered any yet tho.
Yes there r a lot of them out there already n didn't hear of anything so far, Except from Yamastar, But I am sure if there was something wrong with the trans I am sure we would of heard about it. Because of all the whining about the YXZ. If they can find anything wrong with the YXZ believe me it would be out. And no its not to early if they had a known problem. I have seen the other companies have problems right from the beginning. R&D means a lot if done right. JMHO

·
Registered
404 Posts
I've been driving the holy hell out of mine and, other than a loud gear box, it's holding up incredibly well. I also come from a MX/SX background and have had it on the track a couple times. Suspension needs some work. At first it had a nose-down attitude (as they all seem to have) and I dialed in the rebound to straighten it out. Still a little nose heavy. ANYWAY...I have had some really harsh landings and this thing is still solid. I'm heading up to the sand this weekend and will put another 300 miles on it. We'll see.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Im in the same boat as you and come from a similiar background. Ive owned 2 first year model machines and have had to dump thousands of dollars to get all the weak links and poor engineering up to code in each machine to handle my style of riding. As much as I want a YXZ, I am going to sit back and watch for another 6mo before I commit. Like you I see potential issues, axles,front diff, shocks need reworked, and so on. I figure we should see issues to develop within the next 3-6 months if it is going to have any. Plus that will give the aftermarket companies time to develop their goods to, more to choose from.
Yes its good to wait to see how they hold up but with all the internet ect it will not take long to find out if good or bad. And I am sure the customers that have them r testing them out real hard. I was looking to buy one by Feb but want to drive one 1st, And that's going to be awhile because it seems that everyone that is coming in is already sold. So I will have to wait anyway.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Only problems I've heard about is price and availability :cool:

That and for most of us the rear suspension needs some serious adjustments at RPM noted.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I had a loose door screw.. Other than that, I think my linkage might need a little adjustment, but nothing else-- It has been a blast so far

·
Registered
505 Posts
Glad to hear your having no issues. Im planning on heading to sand mtn this weekend if all goes well.Hope to see you there. Ill have 2 mavericks with me.
Jerry

I've been driving the holy hell out of mine and, other than a loud gear box, it's holding up incredibly well. I also come from a MX/SX background and have had it on the track a couple times. Suspension needs some work. At first it had a nose-down attitude (as they all seem to have) and I dialed in the rebound to straighten it out. Still a little nose heavy. ANYWAY...I have had some really harsh landings and this thing is still solid. I'm heading up to the sand this weekend and will put another 300 miles on it. We'll see.

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
Tire Coil spring Automotive tire Auto part Suspension part Yea dont lay it on its side Tire Coil spring Automotive tire Auto part Suspension part

·
Registered
68 Posts
I don't think any of these machines are made for hard driving myself.They are not trophy trucks at all.They are nice but if you beat on them they won't last

1 - 20 of 47 Posts