Yamaha YXZ Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am putting together a trip together for the HMT trails end of March first of April. My question is: is this trail system more of a tourist trap type of riding or is it real trail riding. I'm not big into tourist traps or sites. Also what is the best way to plan this trip. Stay at one spot and trailer to the trails. Stay at different places each day as we ride the different trails. Looking for some input. If someone has riden HMT often give me your opinion. Is there a better trail system? Thanks.

·
Registered
74 Posts
HMT trails have about everything for everyone. Easy trails all the way up to a couple of real white knuckles. Then there are the Outlaw (not part of HMT) trails that can be much harder. There are quite a few guides that will take you on rides through the outlaw trails. I would suggest getting BobT maps. They are by far the best maps for HMT. The maps even have color coded trails by difficulty. I usually break the trails up into 2. If I want to ride Rockhouse/Devil/Buffalo Mtn, I stay near Man/Gilbert area. You can hit all 3 of those trails by SXS and not trailer at all. You are able to ride the 2 lane roads all over that area. If you want to ride Pinnacle Creek/Indian Ridge/Pocahontas/Warrior, you will want to stay farther south in towns like Pineville/Bluefield areas. Those 4 trail systems are a little farther apart but depending on your speed, you could easy hit a couple different ones in a day.

I usually make 6 to 10 trips a year down there from Ohio. Most of them are just day riding trips. If I stay to ride a couple of days, here is what I usually do. I always stay in Man. I will leave the SXS on the trailer and trailer the hour down to PC/IR for the 1st day of riding. Then day 2, take the SXS off the trailer and ride the road all the way to Buffalo Mtn which is about an hour and ride Buffalo Mtn to Devil, to North Rockhouse back to Man. Day 3 I will ride all of Rockhouse which is a big loop and can actually take all day.

As far as places to stay, I always stay at Trails Inn in Man. Can't beat the price and the rooms are new. Most places have a minimum night stay so I would plan on staying at one place and going from there.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow Blitz
That is exactly the info I was hoping for. Thanks a lot. You made my planning a lot easier.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
MAR28
Hatfield McCoy 2020

We have 3 couples that have committed to going: . We are still in need of a 4th couple. The weeks room and board is $894.60 per couple.

We are all from Michigan. If any other couple is interested in the 4th room pm me. We had a couple back out of the trip so in order to keep this rental of this amazing cabin at a reasonable cost we need to rent the 4th room. We are all between 45 and 55. Social drinkers. We all like to ride. Do not drink on the trail. If you want to do this you need to pay for your room by the 23 of February. I realize this somewhat unusual that you would be spending a week riding with strangers but I look at this being an opportunity for all of us to ride and meet some new people. Make some new friends.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts