Yamaha YXZ Forums banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I was flagged down and physically stopped by people wanting to check out the YXZ on the trail. Everyone wanted a peek at it. There was a dude on a Turbo Mav that wanted to drag race. So stupid - Most people were blown away it had a real clutch pedal! :cool: Pictures, videos, the YXZ was a huge attraction.

Well - I am glad to put some seat time into this machine before I made any conclusions. I spent about 10 hours trail riding at Hatfield. Hatfield riders will know this is the true definition of trail. Rocks, ruts, mud, hills, fast open road, everything! This was my test to see if I, ME really liked this machine. This is my first SXS, and have only ridden other machines. I have "a few" years of riding bikes and ATVs.

All I can really say is that it's a awesome machine. Its really really fun to drive. It's a TRUE driver's sport SXS.

Motor - I love this motor. Its torquey AND it has a screaming top end. I never got out of 4th today. I would get into about 8 thousand RPM and that was all was needed to hustle down the fast trails. The wife gave me a few strong pokes to let me know. This motor never really got bent out of shape. It's very responsive (more on that) and I like the gas pedal motion and general fuel mixing. There is a slight flat spot right off idle. If you nail the throttle if the motor is at a low rpm, it will sputter for a brief nano-second. The mid range is where all the meat is. Its overkill power for trails like this.

Transmission and Gearing - At first I thought 1st gear was maybe alittle tall. Now I think it's at the very edge when the trail gets technical. I mean technical by below 10 MPH crawling through ruts, rocks, and steep elevation. After lunch, my "driving" through the technical trails was dramatically improving. At first I struggled with the throttle and rpm to navigate the nasty stuff. It was a "herky jerky" terrible experience. Riding out of Indian Ridge, it was all rocks and rough trail. Really bumpy. I hated it! The machine wasn't happy and I wasn't happy. I finally got into the groove and things smooth out. At the end of the day today I was shifting, crawling, sliding around the trails. It was freaking fun as hell. The motor has such a good power curve that 2nd and 3rd became my good friends. The is such a great spread of power, that the shifting was not as frequent as people would worry about. Downhill engine braking was really nice to have on these hills - Bonus!

Suspension and Handling - This would be my only big gripe and it's a trade off. The ride is FIRM, Aggressive, PLANTED, Sporty, Harsh? It's really really a firm ride. No doubt about it. Slow speed is where it's the worst when the trail is rocky and bumpy. Like my big fat Outlander floats over the rough stuff, this is more like a sport quad ride. A POPO Polaris 1000 will squat when the throttle is nailed, the YXZ doesn't have that floaty feeling. HERE IS THE TRADE OFF - Its very nimble, and planted. It never ever felt out of control. Body roll is not really there. Hatfield guys - the Switch back corners and open twisty roads is where this machine will turn, and go. No wallow, or mush. If you want to INDUCE some oversteer, stab the throttle and it will slide. No cartwheeling, side wheeling at all. Hatfield guys - you know those bumps they put on the downhill parts to drain water? I call them jumps because on a ATV you can launch over them. The YXZ was fun to blast over those as you felt the front end move through the travel. The front end feels awesome. EXCELLENT ground clearance over the Hatfield rocks and ruts.

Steering - Was so good and effortless, I hardly noticed. A+

Comfort - Seats and overall cockpit were typical Yamaha awesome. The tach is badass!

Conclusion -
I really like this thing. I'll say it again, it feels like a giant sport quad. Banging gears, spinning tires, sliding, - freaking awesome. The fast trails is where this machine really shines. It feels low and planted to the ground. Its my own rally car. I rode it all day at Hatfield. I did every blue and green trail I could find.

Dislikes - Low speed rough riding suspension action is very very firm. Again the trade off is the handling. It's planted and in control but you feel alot of the terrain below you.

Honest Thoughts,
This machine will do the technical crawling and wheeling. I have no doubts about that at all. This is a driver's machine and takes effort to get the results. If your riding is crawling slow, drinking beer, and chilling, this machine might annoy you. I think this makes sense. I can't wait to ride tomorrow!!

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
Great job on the review! Thank you for that. Makes me feel even better about my purchase. Just got mine home today, and looking forward to bangin gears!

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
The shock gurus will have to chime in here to give better advice.
But I wonder if you can reduce some of the spring preload and click the compression clickers to full soft to take away that initial "hit" when you go on the rooty rocky rides. It may lower the ground clearance too much tho.

·
Registered
582 Posts
The shock gurus will have to chime in here to give better advice.
But I wonder if you can reduce some of the spring preload and click the compression clickers to full soft to take away that initial "hit" when you go on the rooty rocky rides. It may lower the ground clearance too much tho.
Thats a start, and ground clearance doesn't suffer too much at full soft.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Does the Yamaha have the internal bypass feature like the FOX 3.0's do on the new Polaris. There is a great description how the internal bypass works and how it softens up parts of the travel by bleeding off the fluid in the middle of the stroke. just Curious as I can't find it on the Fox 2.5's. Thanks!

·
Registered
537 Posts
Does the Yamaha have the internal bypass feature like the FOX 3.0's do on the new Polaris. There is a great description how the internal bypass works and how it softens up parts of the travel by bleeding off the fluid in the middle of the stroke. just Curious as I can't find it on the Fox 2.5's. Thanks!
I may be wrong here but i believe that pretty much any quality shock that has adjustable compression/rebound knobs is bypassing fluid internally to accomplish that

Internal Bypass | UTV Technology | FOX

·
Registered
831 Posts
Fox's internal bypass shocks (web page) can only have the bypass adjusted by going in$ide the shock Their Exrernal bypass shocks are adjustable from the outside. That would be a very handy tool for those folks who don't have a suspension tuner on retainer.

·
Registered
59 Posts

I was flagged down and physically stopped by people wanting to check out the YXZ on the trail. Everyone wanted a peek at it. There was a dude on a Turbo Mav that wanted to drag race. So stupid - Most people were blown away it had a real clutch pedal! :cool: Pictures, videos, the YXZ was a huge attraction.

Well - I am glad to put some seat time into this machine before I made any conclusions. I spent about 10 hours trail riding at Hatfield. Hatfield riders will know this is the true definition of trail. Rocks, ruts, mud, hills, fast open road, everything! This was my test to see if I, ME really liked this machine. This is my first SXS, and have only ridden other machines. I have "a few" years of riding bikes and ATVs.

All I can really say is that it's a awesome machine. Its really really fun to drive. It's a TRUE driver's sport SXS.

Motor - I love this motor. Its torquey AND it has a screaming top end. I never got out of 4th today. I would get into about 8 thousand RPM and that was all was needed to hustle down the fast trails. The wife gave me a few strong pokes to let me know. This motor never really got bent out of shape. It's very responsive (more on that) and I like the gas pedal motion and general fuel mixing. There is a slight flat spot right off idle. If you nail the throttle if the motor is at a low rpm, it will sputter for a brief nano-second. The mid range is where all the meat is. Its overkill power for trails like this.

Transmission and Gearing - At first I thought 1st gear was maybe alittle tall. Now I think it's at the very edge when the trail gets technical. I mean technical by below 10 MPH crawling through ruts, rocks, and steep elevation. After lunch, my "driving" through the technical trails was dramatically improving. At first I struggled with the throttle and rpm to navigate the nasty stuff. It was a "herky jerky" terrible experience. Riding out of Indian Ridge, it was all rocks and rough trail. Really bumpy. I hated it! The machine wasn't happy and I wasn't happy. I finally got into the groove and things smooth out. At the end of the day today I was shifting, crawling, sliding around the trails. It was freaking fun as hell. The motor has such a good power curve that 2nd and 3rd became my good friends. The is such a great spread of power, that the shifting was not as frequent as people would worry about. Downhill engine braking was really nice to have on these hills - Bonus!

Suspension and Handling - This would be my only big gripe and it's a trade off. The ride is FIRM, Aggressive, PLANTED, Sporty, Harsh? It's really really a firm ride. No doubt about it. Slow speed is where it's the worst when the trail is rocky and bumpy. Like my big fat Outlander floats over the rough stuff, this is more like a sport quad ride. A POPO Polaris 1000 will squat when the throttle is nailed, the YXZ doesn't have that floaty feeling. HERE IS THE TRADE OFF - Its very nimble, and planted. It never ever felt out of control. Body roll is not really there. Hatfield guys - the Switch back corners and open twisty roads is where this machine will turn, and go. No wallow, or mush. If you want to INDUCE some oversteer, stab the throttle and it will slide. No cartwheeling, side wheeling at all. Hatfield guys - you know those bumps they put on the downhill parts to drain water? I call them jumps because on a ATV you can launch over them. The YXZ was fun to blast over those as you felt the front end move through the travel. The front end feels awesome. EXCELLENT ground clearance over the Hatfield rocks and ruts.

Comfort - Seats and overall cockpit were typical Yamaha awesome. The tach is badass!

Conclusion -
I really like this thing. I'll say it again, it feels like a giant sport quad. Banging gears, spinning tires, sliding, - freaking awesome. The fast trails is where this machine really shines. It feels low and planted to the ground. Its my own rally car. I rode it all day at Hatfield. I did every blue and green trail I could find.

Dislikes - Low speed rough riding suspension action is very very firm. Again the trade off is the handling. It's planted and in control but you feel alot of the terrain below you.

Honest Thoughts,
This machine will do the technical crawling and wheeling. I have no doubts about that at all. This is a driver's machine and takes effort to get the results. If your riding is crawling slow, drinking beer, and chilling, this machine might annoy you. I think this makes sense. I can't wait to ride tomorrow!!

Thank your for the full report. I finally got mine last night, and will be taking it out to Glamis next weekend.

Many thanks, g900

·
Registered
131 Posts
Excellent review, I truly look forward to true reviews from owners thanks.... I have over on order as well as a turbo for it. Was thinking about going to a more aggressive tire... What are your thoughts about the stock horn and do u think it can handle more power... Thanks again

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I really can't complain about the Bighorn 2.0. It always had traction everywhere. The biggest challenge was the steep rocky rutted climbs that were done in two wheel drive with minor slippage.

The also roll straight down the paved road sections.

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
Excellent review, I truly look forward to true reviews from owners thanks.... I have over on order as well as a turbo for it. Was thinking about going to a more aggressive tire... What are your thoughts about the stock horn and do u think it can handle more power... Thanks again
Just picked up my buggy last night, and the FIRST thing I did when I got it home was to take the stock Horns off and I am installing 29" Horn 1's in their place. Wanted something beefier than the 2.0's and yet still be reasonably light. Didn't want to go with 30's because I personally don't like the look of the same size tires on the front as are on the back. Also, I didn't want to disturb the gearing any more than necessary since we all know it's borderline too high anyway. For my purposes, the BH 1's in 29's are perfect. Had great luck with that size on my old Mav Max.

·
Registered
677 Posts

Conclusion -

Honest Thoughts,

Couple of questions did u come to steep rocky hills where u couldn't get a running start? n if u did how was the power going up them slow? At what speed was the suspension comfy n not so rough? How was it on fuel n can u use regular fuel or needs higher octane? Thanks

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
Couple of questions did u come to steep rocky hills where u couldn't get a running start? n if u did how was the power going up them slow? At what speed was the suspension comfy n not so rough? How was it on fuel n can u use regular fuel or needs higher octane? Thanks
The owner's manual actually states that you use Regular fuel in this buggy. Which seems strange since it has an 11.3-1 compression ratio.
I know mine will only be getting Premium fuel.....

Reactions: zztop

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
ZZTOP -

Hatfield has switchback climbs where I had to make a tight sharp turn to head up a steep rocky hill. There was no running start. First gear and this motor climbed like champ!! I did this for two days - :)

1 - 20 of 81 Posts