Yamaha YXZ Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ordered a cage from Fabwerx with a rack on top, the main reason for the roof rack was to carry a spare tire. The rack wasn't ready for my 4 day trip so I bought the factory tire rack and it hauled my tire perfectly, and allowed me to use my storage box as well. On my trip Several RZR's had spare tires on their roof racks and others in the bed or on rear tire racks. Now I'm wondering if I should keep my tire mount and eliminate the rear bumper on my fabwerx cage. I'm afraid the 75 or so lbs on the roof will make it easier to tip over.
I can always use the roof rack for hauling other lighter gear on the long trips I have planned.

Any thoughts out there? Where do you carry yours? Notice any problems where you haul yours?

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I agree Enev, keeping the center of gravity as low as possible is what concerned me with tire on roof. The whole purpose of the new cage and roof rack
was the need to haul all the necessary things for a 4 or 5 day ride. We stay in hotels but still need to bring clothes, Ice chest, Pax Gas Container, and
spare and jack. Safety is most important, so I realize that the tire on the rack is the best bet. For day rides in Dumont, Glamis, or Ocotillo I agree
with AZrick the spare tire in the bed with ice chest and tool bag on top would of done the trick.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Man, it's really hard to beat the GYTR carrier. If you have the GYTR storage box, the fit, functionality, and strength of the Yamaha design is really nice. It holds the tire tightly with NO rattles and is super easy to swing out of the way for storage access. It literally takes less than 5 minutes to pull it completely off...which we do for the dunes. We have a number in our group running spares this way.

Attachments

·
Registered
379 Posts
with the one you already have and the factory box, you can mount a Tusk jack to carrier between the 2 and mount the gas on Rotopax mount to side on Cage. That leaves the box for your stuff. It has small cooler built in (yes very small, but there unless you did second battery there). I ended up adding backup camera so could see behind with all the stuff added lol. Dont see how you can get more clean space than you have offered?

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow thats a beautiful sight 3 yxz and a waterfall
I know what you mean about the factory tire rack, It fits and performs flawlessly, thats what made me put a hold on my rack
the rear of the fabwerx rack turns into a rear bumper, I already took my factory storage box to them and they said it will work with their cage,
now I think I will see if they can tweak to work with factory tire rack. If not may have to have them delete the rear bumper, but that looks so good
on their cage. The old saying " Cant have your cake and eat it too"

1 - 7 of 7 Posts