Yamaha YXZ Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey group, Got my 2021 se ss added turbo, 2.5K roll cage, clutch, flashed, exhaust. added a set of skat tracks. so sweet so much power. I live in florence so we got great dunes 15 min from house.

So I broke it in as you should at 20 hrs had all fluids changed. went out with a bud had 25 hours on it. I was hitting the little 12 foot small hills. I was hitting them about 20 25 mph. Second to last hill to go it was straight down. As a new rider I hit brake. If I had gassed it the back would dig in fronts pull me forward. NO I hit brake.
Ass over nose one slow flip. I was great harness cage. Cage crushed flexed frame outward door would not open had to take helmet off to crawl out, one tie rod bent.
Took it to a builder buddy he said he would just put a new cage on it but I have full insurance Geico.
took it to dealer they said its totaled frame bent. Geico offered 22k pay out I paid 32k extras 10K. I bought it back $6500
bought new cage ($2500) same one MCI in Oregon when we cut off the old one new cage popped on in less than 45 min soft mallet a few nudges. good as new.... Yamaha told me the frame was bent 1/4 inch..... cool took 22 k paid 6.5k to buy back paid 2.5 k new cage and HD tie rods $250. Happy days

Dun_Dog Lives and rides again.

bottom line get a cage never hit brakes when riding hard
Turbo rules so much power when climbing.
PS how fast have you gone post 90 mph on flat sand 10k rpm..

Photos to follow..

·
Registered
398 Posts
I know when I bought my Yxz State Farm wanted 2x's what I was paying them for my Razor because too many people are making too many claims. I've had insurance through them for 30 years. Had to insure them both through Allstate. If more companies start doing the same paying close to a $100 a month or more to insure a SxS will become the norm. You may be paying for that good deal in the near future.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I am fully insured on all of my machines.

That being said, the best insurance is an experienced driver.

You don’t jump on the interstate and do 80mph the first day you are learning to drive… well, you shouldn’t. Baby steps. Learn the machine, the machine’s abilities and limitations, and your abilities and limitations. Never exceed any of them, and you won’t put yourself in those situations. You may have a little less fun, but you will appreciate it later in life.

Like Sandman89 says, you may have “profited” on your crash, but your rates will go up in the future enough for them to eventually cover their loss. And if it happens again, you may have trouble obtaining insurance in the future.

From the dealer’s standpoint, 1/4” bend is a bend. Any bend will compromise the structural integrity of the frame, and it will likely fold like an accordion if it happens again. That’s why they total them when the frame gets bent. If they repair it, they are then legally liable if the structure fails in the next crash.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Mine is hand-built on a new frame by a tech here at the shop after my endo. It was around 12K to repair, which was much less than paying for a total loss.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Tire Sky Cloud Wheel Vehicle
Cloud Sky Natural environment Automotive tire Vehicle

I totaled my 2017 SS at coral pink sand dunes in 2018 with a similar oh shit hit the brakes move coming off a dune. I feel it could have been fixed with a frame jig and aftermarket cage but geico was not having anything about me continuing making payments on a salvaged rig so they scooped it up and took it to auction. Lucky for me I bought a house 6 months later then waited for a 2019 SS SE to come out and turbid that!

·
Registered
46 Posts
I went to St Anthony for my first Dunes ride! Took the 17 SS SE - It was a brand new world for me! I need to remember Dramamine next year lol. I learned really quick when in doubt POWER UP.
Also, adjust those rear springs to match the weight you carry back there - if none match the front spring levels - you will fly a bit more level versus nose down
brakes nose you down, gas noses you up
It is stock but with 28" Med/Hard Pack Tires ran in 4WD with 3 Turbo rides 1 RZR/2 RC3 - went anywhere they went and the YXZ found its natural element... I was totally impressed with this machines capabilities on the Dunes - Yes you should put aftermarket cage/at least 4 point harness before you sail this baby too -
Love my YXZ

·
Registered
5 Posts
Several years ago a friend barrel rolled his '16 down a hill bending the frame, multiple suspension pieces, and even broke a wheel. The insurance company elected to repair it including completely replacing the frame. Not sure what the total bill was.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts