Yamaha YXZ Forums banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
we bought a yxz last night and the guy at berts was saying that a customer of theire had only 20 miles and was at glamis last weekend and blew a head gasket? i dont know its just hear say but wanted to let you people know what i heard?

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
we bought a yxz last night and the guy at berts was saying that a customer of theire had only 20 miles and was at glamis last weekend and blew a head gasket? i dont know its just hear say but wanted to let you people know what i heard?
Sounds to me like it was low of coolant or else lost coolant and he overheated it.
My car had an o ring failure at the water outlet pipe and pissed out all its coolant. Luckily I caught it before she got hot.

·
Registered
147 Posts
So you thought it would be a good idea to pass on something that may not have even happened, and if it did, no root cause.

Pointless.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
If you look at the RZR and Maveric Forums we have bigger problems than just Head gaskets and Rods. The biggest problem is US..the owners...
That we are having a blast driving our YXZ's, and the competition is outdated and old news? Also, that there is a lot more to the YXZ than just who can go the fastest at any point in time!

·
Registered
6 Posts
On my YXZ this is not a rumor. 28 hours, light use, and there is coolant in the oil. No modifications, nothing. Night it was purchased the sales rep said there was a recall, didn't specify what the recall was after multiple inquiries. Didn't find out until three days later when I had to go back and purchase coolant that it was a coolant recall. They said if your coolant was green the recall had not been performed. Something to watch out for, and check your coolant levels (also, never trust the dealer.) It goes in Tuesday for service.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Sorry to hear that NW Toy Factory. Hopefully warranty takes care of it.

Anyone have access to the TSB?
I ordered the service manual from this site, as the dealer keeps saying they have no part numbers yet. Had to also order my windshield kit off ebay. Yamaha needs to step up and sell accessories themselves rather than people on ebay. My dealership 10% discount would be nice to use.

UTV Headquarters - Yamaha YXZ 1000 R OEM Service Manual

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
On my YXZ this is not a rumor. 28 hours, light use, and there is coolant in the oil. No modifications, nothing. Night it was purchased the sales rep said there was a recall, didn't specify what the recall was after multiple inquiries. Didn't find out until three days later when I had to go back and purchase coolant that it was a coolant recall. They said if your coolant was green the recall had not been performed. Something to watch out for, and check your coolant levels (also, never trust the dealer.) It goes in Tuesday for service.
Coolant recall? Are they saying it's the choice of coolant being incompatible with the engine and/or gaskets causing an issue? So what are they doing, and what kind of coolant are they switching to on this recall?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Coolant recall? Are they saying it's the choice of coolant being incompatible with the engine and/or gaskets causing an issue? So what are they doing, and what kind of coolant are they switching to on this recall?
Please more details.

·
Registered
6 Posts
They would not say. Super vague, I repeatedly asked them what it was and never got a straight answer. This is all I know. I'm running factory Yamaha coolant, which is blue that they sold me. If anyone else has light on the subject, it's time to shine.

I will see if I can find out more information too when I take it in on Tuesday.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I find it hard to believe that Yamaha would use anything other than a silicate based coolant. Its an all aluminum motor a HOAT based coolant would be silly and expensive.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Anything else on this, haven't had time to ride with the holiday season but my coolant that it came with is green.
Check with your dealer, as I live in the Beaverton area and purchased mine from Beaverton Yamaha. I was told the coolant was green until recalled. As for the green coolant, Yamaha Banshees, Yamaha Raptors, Yamaha 450's, all run green coolant in their aluminum motors. On a side note, I compression tested my motor last night, the first two cylinders were 230 PSI and the third was 225 PSI. Oil is milky on the dipstick for the oil reservoir and in the fill plug on the valve cover. Has anyone compression tested their engine for comparison?

·
Registered
59 Posts
I had a compression check because my YXZ lost coolant and car overheated. My dealer did a compression check but I forgot the numbers. I want to say 230-235. I am in glamis now and running it hard, not abusing it and so far it good. My question to you is how fast does temp gauge.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts