Yamaha YXZ Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have s 17ss with a Dirtlaunch intake and tuning....graves exhaust and gytr cams....as much as I want I cant swing a turbo kit and not interested in a supercharger.....anyone done any head work with similar set up as mine??...port and polish and still run 91 oct?....was it worth it and noticeable?.....I could tell the huge diff with the cams as they were my last upgrade and my buddy has my same set up in a 18 minus cams and I walk away from him in every gear like he has an anchor....lol......thanks in advance

·
Registered
25 Posts
Can stroke and bore it. From the research I have done with that setup you are running ~150 RWHP. Although it costs as much as a turbo kit and not as much headroom for future boost, but you will have oodles more low and mid range.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Have a some good porting done to your head. Excellent choice with what you have done, you will notice a huge difference in how the engine responds to your present modifications HUGE. Leave the polish alone. FYI l am still capable of installing a hairdryer or Supercharger on my engine as l didn't go high compression pistons. If l changed to 9.5:1 Pistons I"m sure it would be capabe of 300+- hp. Love it the way it is, so will he.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I'm going to do this mod as well. I've been waiting for racers edge in az to start porting yxz heads. John is a good guy and his porting is top notch. I think his customer service is right there with weller. He always answer the phone and willing to answer any q. I can't afford a turbo or supercharger so I'm going this route with racers edge porting and ferrea valves with valve springs for that extra quick rev. Hopefully I will be in the 120+ hp with full dasa exhaust, cams and head ported. Maybe later do rods and pistons.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Is the dirtlaunch intake good for sand? That's the only place I run my z is glamis.

·
Registered
398 Posts
I'm going to do this mod as well. I've been waiting for racers edge in az to start porting yxz heads. John is a good guy and his porting is top notch. I think his customer service is right there with weller. He always answer the phone and willing to answer any q. I can't afford a turbo or supercharger so I'm going this route with racers edge porting and ferrea valves with valve springs for that extra quick rev. Hopefully I will be in the 120+ hp with full dasa exhaust, cams and head ported. Maybe later do rods and pistons.
Dasa is showing porting on their website for a great price. Might want to check them out.

·
Registered
739 Posts
I sent my head off to Dasa two weeks ago. I'll post pics once I get it in, before & after.

Dasa response on my inquiry.

"The cylinder head comes with a valve seat cutting included. We cut a multi angle
valve job included in the pricing. We see a great power increase with it.We were
getting about 125 on the engine dyno with your mods and the ported head.

Most shops charge double for what we charge. We do CNC porting and valve seat cutting
on a Newen single point machine. The guides on the YXZ are not cut off. Some ports cut off the
valve guides decreasing reliability drastically. The valve stems are very small and should not be cut off in this machine.
"

Reactions: WAYXZ

·
Registered
291 Posts
Are you getting bigger valves and hd valve springs? I wonder if dasa is porting the heads for yamaha and they are just stamping the gytr logo on them.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Here's dasa porting from a past thread. You can see they don't cut the valve guides. I didn't know that about other shops cutting the guides reducing reliability. I might just go with dasa because they are local and I can just reflash with adding ported head for free.

Attachments

·
Registered
291 Posts
Here's racers edge porting. Looks nice but he cuts the valve guides and from previous reply from dasa it reduces reliability.

Attachments

·
Registered
739 Posts
Are you getting bigger valves and hd valve springs? I wonder if dasa is porting the heads for yamaha and they are just stamping the gytr logo on them.
I'm keeping the same valves & springs. I don't know for certain if Dasa is behind the GYTR head.

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
I snagged a NIB head off ebay back in the winter for 80 bucks, the head was still in the sealed box. I figured it was just the bare head, but it came with seats, guides and studs, I was pretty happy with that find. Got a set of Kibblewhite double springs, valves, seals and Yamaha buckets and keepers for it. Charlie @ Pro-1 in AZ has it now, should be back this week. He's doing a CNC five angle valve job and porting it, not sure if he cuts the guides or not, I just assumed he would. I guess I'll see next week, I'll post some pics of the work when I get it. If they cut the guides, you would just need to replace them sooner than if left at length.

·
Registered
739 Posts
I actually didn’t know of any other shops offering YXZ head porting, other than CT Racing. While I’m sure there was more than these two shops, I didn’t bother to call up other shops to inquire.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Does dasa do 3 or 5 angle valve job?

·
Registered
739 Posts
Didn’t ask and no mention of 3 or 5 angle.

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
Mind if I ask what type of cost occurred in getting head ported and valve job springs ?
Boe if your asking me I got $1060 in springs, seals, valves, keepers and lifters. The labor is $800 on the work. Now you may not need to purchase the lifters if you use your current ones, I just wanted to have a spare complete head on hand, so the lifters would save you $325 and your old keepers another 35 bucks.

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
Auto part Rim Wheel Metal
Auto part Muffler Rim Steel Metal
Auto part Nut Metal Engine
Nose Close-up Snout Mouth Metal
Auto part Engine Metal Automotive engine part Bicycle part

So I got my head back from Pro-1, here's a few pics of the port work and valve install. I made a mistake on the labor cost, it was 600 bucks. It looks way different than stock and they do cut the valve guides flush with the port, I assumed they would to make it flow max air. Overall I'm satisfied with the work.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Zilla, what is that finish? Did they shot peen the whole bottom of the head?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts