Yamaha YXZ Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
A heavier flywheel should aid riders who prefer to crawl over obstacles in 1st gear @ low RPM. The Rekluse and a heavier flywheel could possibly be a winning combination for those who love to crawl and simply want Yamaha legendary reliability. Just something to think about if you're not comfortable feathering the clutch over obstacles and don't want a CVT transmission.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Awesome, was thinking that myself, 300hp at the crank could handle the extra weight revving out no problem.

Reactions: KB Motorsports

·
Registered
831 Posts
The Rekluse and the FWW are secondary to a suitable gear ratio (a real granny or a Hi-Lo Range).

I am quite comfortable lofting my dirt bike over obstacles (with or without a Rekluse), but I still gear down a tooth in the front sprocket for technical riding (vs MX).

If I were two choose two of the three suggested mods, I'd go with the Lo-Range first, then the Rekluse.

·
Registered
88 Posts
The power to weight ratio @ 300HP the YXZ wouldn't need a heavier flywheel or a rekluse to crawl. haha
I would want it for sure, lots of tight technical riding here, every ride I have a saw, fuel and bar oil, if there's a way this machine can run the same trails, or at least most of the same trails I do now that would be great. Maybe it wouldn't spool as fast as the stock flywheel but I'm sure I wouldn't know it lol. Hardest thing for me to accept is a toy that might not do everything the others do. Bumping and pivoting off of trees, don't want stumbling or stalling while trying to do that.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This sounds like a good solution

A heavier flywheel should smooth out the power delivery and decrease the chances of the YxZ to stall at slow speeds for those who are overly concerned.. I wonder if trail tech is planning to produce an aftermarket flywheel for the YXZ? Those who want a fast high revving motor may want to contact them for a lighter flywheel so it's a win win for everyone! haha

·
Registered
589 Posts
How about just replacing the flywheel with a planetary reduction gearset? :D It'll rotate free to act as a flywheel but when you need say a 4/1 reduction snap it in gear. Voila best of both worlds.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I think Alba has sent one to a guy in West Virginia for testing. Saw it on the YXZ Addicts facebook page the other day. He said he was going to install it and try it this week on the trails there.

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
I'm in the process of building a heavier flywheel. It will also have a Deep V grove for an alternater. Just doing the R&d now to see how much is enough.
Only issue I can foresee is the alternator would have to have a very large pulley on it as well, to keep it from being severely overdriven from a flywheel pulley with the RPM this motor can spin.
Interested in seeing what you come up with.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Sorry. But flywheel will help. Little. But still need gears and no amount of hp wil make it crawl any better than it does.
I was just thinking about this. If you had a tremendous amount of horsepower that would overcome the resistance of the terrain and gearing, the only variable to overcome would be throttle control.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts