Yamaha YXZ Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, just wondering what everyone is running for low speed mountain riding? I’m planning a trip to West Virginia to ride through the hayfield and McCoy trails and I’m seeing a lot of low speeds going through, just wondering if anyone runs a heavier fly wheel and how much better the machine operates at lower speeds, thank you

·
Registered
67 Posts
I took my stock 16 there in March and it performed fine on all the HM trails I took it on (some black too). However, on the outlaw trails I did have a few times where I was starting and stopping due to the group going slower than I could go in 1st.

I got a heavy flywheel, but have not installed/tried it yet. I will be doing gears and clutch all this summer at some point.

Reactions: Yamaha_rider02

·
Registered
59 Posts
I think my 17 SS SE previous owner (only 467 miles) had a Heavy Flywheel installed. It crawls awesome for the trails Gibbster and I ride and he even agrees that it lugs along pretty well. Aside from a Transmission Gears change a Heavy Flywheel might be the way to go. I think if Yamaha was to improve the YXZ would be to add a H/L Range in the Transfer case. Talk about crawling a wall LoL.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Seriously!!!
Why Yamaha didn’t put a H/L is beyond comprehension.. I believe if they had the YXZ history as we now know it from 2016 up to now would have been extremely a different one.
Yamaha would have sold plenty more units to offset the cost difference and our machines would have been the benchmark in the industry… Just my humble opinion… but I do believe this.
And I’m a “Duner” who wouldn’t hardly ever use low range, but I can easily imagine the capabilities being an old Toyota fanboy.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I’m running GYTR gear reduction and a Rekluse with 30’s in my 16. Best money I have spent on it, kills top end but I’m east coast wood riding so it works perfect for me. HMT with stock clutch is no problem though, have done it and only ran into a pucker situation once on a blind turn climbing where I had to stop then start. Stock 1st gear sucks in that situation lol.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Are you running a SS? 2019 and newer are geared low enough I ride there a lot with my 2019 YXZ and have no problems could use a little more ground clearance. I'm running System 3 30 inch tires they help a lot.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Seriously!!!
Why Yamaha didn’t put a H/L is beyond comprehension.. I believe if they had the YXZ history as we now know it from 2016 up to now would have been extremely a different one.
Yamaha would have sold plenty more units to offset the cost difference and our machines would have been the benchmark in the industry… Just my humble opinion… but I do believe this.
And I’m a “Duner” who wouldn’t hardly ever use low range, but I can easily imagine the capabilities being an old Toyota fanboy.
I learned 2 thing when I did reduction on my 2020. The new gear shift control module has a brown wire that is unused but was told it is for the new Hi/Lo trans. Also, there is a boss cast and machined in the back half of the case that fits a shift fork rail that's not there yet. It's lined up perfectly to shift a planetary set on the output shaft. Who know.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts