Yamaha YXZ Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Probably a dumb question, but do you think a standard street bike helmet with fold down visor would keep the sand out of your face? I need to buy a helmet, and this looks like a much more comfortable option versus a motocross style helmet with goggles. Are there fundamental difference between a street helmet versus off road style with filtration or venting?

·
Registered
582 Posts
Visors lift unless you have a window. I bought both a PCI radios hjc pumper and a Rugged radios Pyrotec pumper. The hjc is a great helmet for not too much money, I do not recommend the protect. And yes a standard street bike helmet will work fine.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Its really a matter of choice on what is comfortable for you.

Street Bike helmets are more quiet and insulated. MX helmets have better ventilation but are louder.
Google lenses are cheaper to replace than shields on streetbike helmets.

·
Registered
143 Posts
MX and motorcycle helmets aren't designed to hit roll cages. Get a helmet for car racing SNELL SA2010 racing is what you want. Rugged radios sells some great helmets pre wired for radios.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I just wear my MX helmet because that is what i have, didn't want to splurge for another one.

Out in the dunes i have seen every kind of helmet imaginable, full race shield with dust skirt all the way down to a snowboard/skate helmet.

If you like the MX helmet but don't want to fool with goggles you can get a face shield style that they make now, it is like a crossover type deal.
Trekker Matte Black Helmet | FLY Racing | Professional grade Motocross, BMX, MTB, Offroad, ATV, Snowmobile, and Watercraft apparel and hard parts

Does anybody know of a helmet that works with the behind the head style headset? That way i could use head sets out of sand car in SXS and still be helmet legal?

·
Registered
171 Posts
OP I've recently been considering this and I've come to the conclusion that a MX style with goggles will work better IMO because tear offs are an option on the goggles and they are cheap. Also from what I remember the helmets with shields tend to fog up more.

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
I use a Simpson pit helmet and its awesome. Super lightweight and also a lot of vents, so your head stays cool. I wear sunglasses unless it windy then I go with googles.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I use a Simpson pit helmet and its awesome. Super lightweight and also a lot of vents, so your head stays cool. I wear sunglasses unless it windy then I go with googles.
That's the helmet I've been using since the helmet law passed even though it's not DOT approved nobody's noticed. I agree they are super light and comfortable. I use clear goggles but run my sunglasses inside of the goggles.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I just wear my MX helmet because that is what i have, didn't want to splurge for another one.

Out in the dunes i have seen every kind of helmet imaginable, full race shield with dust skirt all the way down to a snowboard/skate helmet.

If you like the MX helmet but don't want to fool with goggles you can get a face shield style that they make now, it is like a crossover type deal.
Trekker Matte Black Helmet | FLY Racing | Professional grade Motocross, BMX, MTB, Offroad, ATV, Snowmobile, and Watercraft apparel and hard parts

Does anybody know of a helmet that works with the behind the head style headset? That way i could use head sets out of sand car in SXS and still be helmet legal?
I always like my headsets instead of the helmet kits and it was just brought to my attention that a snowboarding helmet works great with the behind the head headsets.

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
That's the helmet I've been using since the helmet law passed even though it's not DOT approved nobody's noticed. I agree they are super light and comfortable. I use clear goggles but run my sunglasses inside of the goggles.
I have a helmet skinz over my helmet so no could see there is no DOT sticker. I honestly dont think the ranger care that much as long as your wearing a helmet. They know its a stupid law but have to enforce it if we make them

·
Registered
83 Posts
I have a helmet skinz over my helmet so no could see there is no DOT sticker. I honestly dont think the ranger care that much as long as your wearing a helmet. They know its a stupid law but have to enforce it if we make them
It is a stupid law. Not required to wear a helmet in a buggie or even on an off-road motorcycle so why in a side-by-side. I hated putting a helmet on when that law passed but kind of weird I've gotten used to it now and don't want to drive without it. I like the helmet skinz idea.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I use a Fox mx helmet until I sell the Rhino and pick up a YXZ. At that point I will transfer my rugged radio setup and go with a pumper system.

·
Registered
124 Posts
i just used the same helmet i use on my road bike, i already had Sena Bluetooth coms so it worked great, out at the Hammers last sunday during 40 mile an hour winds and rain storms i was comfy and can still talk to my ol lady just fine.

http://i1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd450/metulmunky/yamah yxz 1000/4072.jpg
http://i1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd450/metulmunky/yamah%20yxz%201000/4072.jpg

http://i1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd450/metulmunky/yamah yxz 1000/4047.jpg
http://i1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd450/metulmunky/yamah%20yxz%201000/4047.jpg

·
Registered
30 Posts
It is a stupid law. Not required to wear a helmet in a buggie or even on an off-road motorcycle so why in a side-by-side. I hated putting a helmet on when that law passed but kind of weird I've gotten used to it now and don't want to drive without it. I like the helmet skinz idea.
I was rear ended by a guy in August. My wife & I were the only Geeks who had on Helmets out of 17 RZR. Rookie Pinhead decided to play Days of Thunder & wide open into dust cloud with me stopped in it.
I was knocked out cold from Helmet hitting seatbelt mount in XP1K. MX Helmet broken. Pretty sure I wouldn't be here or be able to type this without a helmet. I'm about as big a risk taker as there is. 30+ Years of racing many things. 12 Reconstructive surgeries. Many consider me a stupid daredevil & I won't get in 1 without a helmet. IF YOU DRIVE THESE WITHOUT A HELMET YOU ARE STUPID. Even if you are a putz who doesn't push limits there are others who do.
The SA Automotive helmets would fit application best. You can get them with tear offs or open faced. See PRO 4 or Dirt Track Racing. Should also consider a head restraint no that you have that heavy helmet on your melon.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I use a half helmet like the typical Road cruiser Harley rider type. Comfortable and DOT legal. Probably a OK and mostly safe choice for a SXS. But not for an ATV.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts