Yamaha YXZ Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Complete newb question, but what do you guys recommend as far as helmets. I am from Florida so trail riding mostly. Any recommendation on where to buy as well.
Thanks
Dan

·
Premium Member
503 Posts
Helmet choices are pretty varied. Some like to wear a regular motocross helmet, some like to wear a full face race helmet, and then Fly makes a pretty cool hybrid that is a motocross helmet with a full shield that you can use, or you can keep the shield up and use goggles. There are also open face helmets that provide minimum protection, and some like to run those as well. I personally prefer the Fly hybrid helmet or my full face race helmet. I don't like dirt and sand in my teeth - lol!

As far as where to buy, you should probably go to a dealer or shop that has them in stock and try them on to be sure you get the right size. Sizes can vary A LOT per brand......and you will want your helmet to be comfortable and fit you right. Even if you just try on helmets and find one you like, but the dealer is pricey, you can then go on line and find it at a better price, but at least you will know exactly which helmet you want.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Great points, but I'll also add that sizes can vary quite a bit even between helmet models from the same manufacturer.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Remember it's hard to drink beer from a can with a full face helmet.
That seems to be a concern on this forum,,, lol,, not really

Would you want your surgeon having a beer before he works on you?? Then keep it off the trail.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Remember it's hard to drink beer from a can with a full face helmet.
That seems to be a concern on this forum,,, lol,, not really

Would you want your surgeon having a beer before he works on you?? Then keep it off the trail.
Where did that come from? Ha, ha

·
Registered
44 Posts
I like to wear a shorty helmet, with glasses or goggles, for comfort and good visibility. I think it is safe enough, as long as you wear a full 4/5 point harness, not the factory seat belt.

·
Registered
286 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
x2 on the dual sport helmets. Only downfall is they are HOT in the summer even with all the vents open. I usually take my dual sport and moto helmet with me on every trip and just wear what's comfortable that day.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I just wear my motocross helmet for the dunes, figure that way if i need to ride a quad or dirt bike for an emergency situation or rescue bring parts type deal i am covered.

For trail riding i am thinking i would probably wear a chrome dome type that all the bikers wear, that way i could eat, drink, chat whatever without having to take it off.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Well the only thing I could add to all the good advice already given is if you go with a mx type helmet and are going to use goggles try on the different goggles with the helmet that fits you perfect do to the front of some helmets has different cut out size and some goggles are to big in size and will push down on your nose to much like shoei helmets need small goggles to fit comfortable.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Try to get a helmet that is comfortable first off. You will be wearing it all day some times. Start by trying on different styles you may like and wear them around for at least 10 minutes in the store. When you remove it, look for pressure points on your forehead and cheeks. Did it leave you red?
Try to get the lightest helmet you can afford, stay away from modular unless you are a linebacker, those puppies can weigh 6 lbs!
this will lead to all kinds of neck pain and discomfort.
Remember that your head is the most important thing in the car, don't skimp on lil biker helmets so you can drink beer while you ride, that's what straws are for

·
Registered
120 Posts
Bell OTW DOT approved helmet so I can use my hedset and intercom/radio.It is actually very comfortable and lightweight.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I know this one doesn't offer as much protection as a full face helmet but I think it would make a great helmet that would be comfortable for trail riding.
Helmet Clothing Personal protective equipment Motorcycle helmet Equestrian helmet

1 - 17 of 17 Posts