Yamaha YXZ Forums banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After having spent the last year anticipating Yamaha's entry into the sport SxS market, the YXZ has shown itself to be directed more toward dunes, MX racing and other highspeed, non-bumpy adventures.

For those of you beyond the call of Glamis-like wispy dunes or the local closed-course race series, what would *you* advise Yamaha's engineers and marketing team to create to fit your trail needs?

For me, I want something almost exactly like the YXZ but with some sort of significantly lower ratios available and a much more compliant suspension for hitting various desert obstacles (rocks and ruts, mostly) at speeds between 35 to 70 MPH.

I will post more specific requirements later so as not to steer the conversation too much.

I must add, however, that any unsolicited advice to simply purchase a "fill-in-the-blank if you want to fill-in-the-blank" will be met with a cacophony of "Shut up you fill-in-the-blank clueless fill-in-the-blank !!"

Wow. That felt really good to get that off my chest.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I could see that Wolvie 1000 doing the job for many *if* it had a few more inches of suspension travel. 10-inches won't do for me at speed.

When I see the Wolverine I just see a somewhat updated Rhino. So very 2006.

Also, I'd want the YXZ Trail XC to be geared down (and up-axled) enough to utilize 29" or 30" tires.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Steel Skid Plates under entire machine.

6 Speed, 1st is Granny Gear, 2nd through 6th same ratios as YXZ (So you can start in 2nd gear for racing).

Same long travel suspension tuned for lower speed work.
Agreed. Perhaps with the "Reverse Override Lever" also used to prevent you from going into granny gear, as well, so it would still work well for higher speed racing.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Rider 414 is onto something. I wish they would have done that 6-speedy thing from the beginning (even *with* a hi-lo option).

But the addition of another gear is a big step for any manufacturer, and it appears Yamaha is particularly resistant to that extra cog.

It took KTM years to do it. We Yammie WR 450 owners are still all up in Yamaha's fanny to do it to this day. Even their "All-New" enduro 2-stoke YZ250X is still a 5-speed.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Rider 414 is onto something. I wish they would have done that 6-speedy thing from the beginning (even *with* a hi-lo option).

But the addition of another gear is a big step for any manufacturer, and it appears Yamaha is particularly resistant to that extra cog.

It took KTM years to do it. We Yammie WR 450 owners are still all up in Yamaha's fanny to do it to this day. Even their "All-New" enduro 2-stoke YZ250X is still a 5-speed.
This thing reaches the mid 70's in 4th gear. Why would you need a 6th?? The only way I see 6th necessary is if all the ratios are lowered significantly and it won't reach 70 in 5th.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You mis-read what he wants.

A 1st-gear granny added to the existing ratios.

He doesn't want it to go faster, he wants it to go slow more competently when needed while still being able to rip as the current YXZ now does.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
At first I said I would like to see a 60" , hundred horse 5 speed addition.

But now that I have one, I could make this machine work very well in the GNCC with a little lowering gearing.

But, I also realize gncc is not trail Riding.

For trail riding, which I consider tooling around, drinking a beer, trying to find tight, technical, muddy, slick, steep places to go thru. Or, maybe riding around with your lady talking and looking at the beautiful scenery.

For this application, and this crowd, I feel like an automatic, plush suspended machine is necessary.

And by far, the xp 1000 fits that description to a Tee.

I'm not sure Yamaha will go after the trail riders group for a long time. Like someone already said, they have the Wolverine for that segment.

Now, I am hoping they go after the Woods Racing crowd. And this current machine with a little lowering gearing would be the hot ticket to have. Woods Racers hardly ever it 60 let alone 80... So lower gearing will help there.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
For trail riding, which I consider tooling around, drinking a beer, trying to find tight, technical, muddy, slick, steep places to go thru. Or, maybe riding around with your lady talking and looking at the beautiful scenery.

For this application, and this crowd, I feel like an automatic, plush suspended machine is necessary.

And by far, the xp 1000 fits that description to a Tee.
I agree - the XP1000 is fast, plush, and a good machine for cruising and bashing with your buddies. The YXZ is much more focused on the driver experience and not the social experience. This is why I prefer the YXZ.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
I won't be able to keep up with my riding crew and their RZR/W-Cats with these farm and hunting machines some of you are recommending (unsolicited, I might add).

The Rhi- er Wolverine just isn't fast enough. They have to wait on me and my Teryx, it just doesn't suit me.

We don't "tool around." We're all active dirt bike enduro racers who use SxS to show our other family members what we do when we leave them at home: We haul ass. Check out the scenery, then haul ass again. Break for lunch, get on it again. 130 miles later we trailer up and bench race.

And, the RZR isn't the machine either. I don't want to be throwing money at broken parts. But its suspension is where I want the YXZ Trail XC to be. Eating up trail ruts, G-outs and rocks as if they are barely there. Truly magical suspension compliance.

The YXZ can easily do the job for me -- with some minor factory modifications. I don't want to throw $5,000 in barely tested after-market upgrades when Yamaha's Georgia factory can do it for a small fraction of that.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Ditch the 5 speed manual and give me a 6 speed DCT that can either shift on its own or be placed in manual mode and paddle shifted. Add a 40% low range reduction for when the going gets tough. Beefier diffs and axles. A touch softer suspension. 95 inch wheelbase with the rad mounted in rear up high like the Wildcat. SOLD.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I won't be able to keep up with my riding crew and their RZR/W-Cats with these farm and hunting machines some of you are recommending (unsolicited, I might add).

The Rhi- er Wolverine just isn't fast enough. They have to wait on me and my Teryx, it just doesn't suit me.

We don't "tool around." We're all active dirt bike enduro racers who use SxS to show our other family members what we do when we leave them at home: We haul ass. Check out the scenery, then haul ass again. Break for lunch, get on it again. 130 miles later we trailer up and bench race.

And, the RZR isn't the machine either. I don't want to be throwing money at broken parts. But its suspension is where I want the YXZ Trail XC to be. Eating up trail ruts, G-outs and rocks as if they are barely there. Truly magical suspension compliance.

The YXZ can easily do the job for me -- with some minor factory modifications. I don't want to throw $5,000 in barely tested after-market upgrades when Yamaha's Georgia factory can do it for a small fraction of that.
Completely summed up where I'm at, what I do and what I'd like to have.

A lower first gear, trail ready suspension and factory fender flares would have me lined up for the first one to hit my dealers floor.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Even the AC "Trail XT" has only 10-inches of travel for that 50-inch model. A little less for the RZR 800, if I recall.

I would bet someone in the market for a 50" version of some YXZ derivative would be reasonably content with 10 (or 12) inches of travel if it meant they didn't have to buy AC or Polaris.

That's a completely different market segment with a different chassis and motor. Not sure if a diminutive YXZ Trail-50 would be able to fit what the full-sized YXZ has motor/tranny wise.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts