Yamaha YXZ Forums banner

Here is how the Yamaha stacks up against the turbo Polaris and turbo Maverick

47K views 170 replies 56 participants last post by  Yz250 
#1 ·
Here you guys go:

Yamaha hangs in there pretty good. With a pipe and tune it will be on their asses and with a turbo on the Yamaha the other two will be eating sand.

enjoy!

https://instagram.com/p/7_QMxzmes_/

#3 ·
Looks like it hung in there pretty well. Left side seemed to have a few more dips in it, wonder if that was a factor? Overall I'm impressed that it hung with the turbos

#8 ·
I think with a pipe and tune the Yamaha is much closer and might be able to edge them out, if it gets through the whoops better. Looking at that video the rear suspension looked a little stiff.

I would be more interesting to see them all run with the same paddle set up and see how it goes when they are all not spinning the bighorns. Looks like with the clutch dumped the Yamaha spun the crap out of the tires.

#10 ·
Not too damn bad in my book, and better than I expected. NA Yamaha with mild tuning will be running neck and neck with the other 2 turbo guys. With a turbo it's a whole nother picture.

#11 ·
The RZR in the middle had a fairly smooth path. The Maverick on the right hits some small whoops early on. Then just after that the YXZ get airborn through the acceleration bumps (big whoops).

Let them swap starting gates a few times. I'll bet both the YXZ and Maverick would improve their positions vs the RZR.

#18 ·
The Maverick will look like that no matter the side. This early in the season the whoops are very small as not much riding going on and the wind fills them in pretty good.

The results should be similar no matter which starting position due to the early season conditions.

#15 ·
did you see all the comments from the pooplaris populous bashing the yxz,its like compairing an Shelby super snake to a mustang gt,same general car,only one is in a different category with the super charger,lets compare like vehicles and let the roosters of sand remove the pooplaris smerks!

#17 ·
If you just watched the 144 hp vs the 131 hp vs 112 hp and came away with any reaction other than a smile you are either new to the sport or have not been paying attention. Those that say it wasn't close must not run in the sand because, in the sand. 144 hp should sh*t on 112 hp, especially up hill. And that was not the case. This thing is a runner, and the platform is superior. Fit to be king when things are evened up!!!!

#29 · (Edited)
I agree. I also could see the Rzr was out front by a car length at the start. You can see he either jumps the start or he's a little bit ahead when they launch. The YXZ with an exhaust, tuner & reflash it will be right next to them boys. Also, that YXZ is not even broke in yet, so it's got to be a little tight. Get the engine broke in and shock adjusted and it's much much closer.

Let's not forget, that is a NA car running against turbo cars!!!! I don't care what anyone thinks, that's damn impressive!!

#21 ·
Yamaha target demo is desert and dunes.

Anyone who wants to buy new SxS that's the latest and greatest for this demographic is going to compare YXZ & the 2 turbo's.

I'm looking forward to the whole video released from Burt's.

#25 ·
Yami with turbo will be doing a lot more than just keeping up! RZR will be eating roost.

#24 ·
After flogging the YXZ today I can tell you that driver will make a huge difference. Not point and shoot like the cvt cars. YXZ will require some skills. Up the face at Sand Mountain, when I didn't hit my shift points it made a huge difference. Not saying the driver in this video wasn't doing good, just get the feeling we're going to see lots of conflicting results. When your on the ball though, the YXZ is a riot!!

#28 · (Edited)
noely poley, from personal experience that part of olds is steeper to the left then easier once past that section and the yxz got a bad start and lined up 20' to the left so he was driving at an angle to get in line, the guy spun off the tires like mad and then once they started pulling the hill all the cars didn't pull away from each other, so its fair to say that if you line them up evenly and they all get a good start(especially the yxz) then the cars are going to be very close, very close....I'd like to see them lined up on the street too so all the cars aren't spinning the tires off and then we can see what the outcome is....Im still sold on the yamaha hands down!....my car should be here soon and after driving one I can say its a blast to drive!....good job yamaha!

#45 · (Edited)
Racing them on the street is no real world results as we don't ride them on the street. We ride in the dunes, desert and trails. In the dunes that video is what you will see 9/10 times racing up Olds. The car that can get through the whoops the fastest has a huge advantage. Of the three the XP Turbo has the best suspension as that small clip shows and the Maverick is a chiropractors dream of future patients. LOL!

The Yamaha needs some tweaking as it looked stiff in the rear. The Yamaha is going to be a great ride and the upside and potential is endless.

This is what some one posted on the Maverick forum Drifter64 (I believe he was one of the drivers in the video):

What this video and others will show soon is that we don't all ride good hard flat terra firma with good traction. There's a lot more to SxS riding to me than flat ground!

In stock condition there's no simple adjusting in the world that's going to make the base Maverick Turbo or the XRS get through the whoops better with its 85" WB vs 90" WB with more travel.

Here's some real world input and soon to follow with YXZ...

What your going to find stock is basically the same results as these videos. The Mav launches just a bit harder and then they pretty much stay the same from there. It will be very interesting to see where the new Yamaha fits! Can't wait as it should be a better base platform with it's 90" WB

I've spent time driving both of these machines and - maybe one of these videos?

Sure reaction time can make a difference, but almost every race we got similar results. If that's all that is important to you, then take it for what its worth? Now put the same tires on the CanAm or YXZ that the Polaris comes with and see what happens then?? This is a stock to stock comparison though so lets stay on track.

What some are not seeing or paying any attention to is how the rest of the ride and drive between these two Turbo models goes? Which one is the more well rounded or complete package?

As soon as you hit the first bump the XPT is and will be flat out gone. Blast through whoops in the Mav and your staring nose down at the ground with a big oh shit. Same section the with XPT and your floating through them going close to 60mph!

Maverick and XPT corner about the same with different driving techniques required, but when it comes time to stop the Maverick is way under braked for how powerful it is!!! It's still running brakes designed for 12" wheels back when that's what they came with.

Rock crawling - don't even go there with the Maverick. Your basically bringing a knife to a gunfight compared to anything that truly has a locked front end. The XPT also has a much lower low gear and more ground clearance and way more stability on steep climbs. There is a reason no one brings one out to KOH to compete!

Ergonomics, yes the Maverick is nice at first glance and so is the quality, but I hate the door nets, lack of doors, and really hate the high driving position that puts me just about over the rear wheel where I really get bounced around. I truly believe they need an updated chassis for the power this thing makes. Come on CanAm lets give this powerhouse some WB and updated Tube chassis with at least 18" of travel. No more modified Commander chassis!

Keep the smaller WB existing models for the GNCC guys and back woods guys and something premiere for the power this thing makes and the rest of us would like to see!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.