Yamaha YXZ Forums banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys new member from Calif stays most of time . In Baja,Mex vacation house life time off roader almost ready to buy Yxz. Im mostly dirt bike rider but want SXS to teach the lady of the house to drive. Of course me too looking for used one 17 to 19. Not understanding about manual trans some adds say sport shift others paddle shifter.? Are there two different types if so what do I want.? Another question I had a chance to drive a Polaris 800 noticed nice plush susp. Then got chance to ride in Yxz don't remember manual trans set up. Did notice real stiff susp.just going easy I suggested to owner . Let tires down to 8psi as they still felt rock hard. It helped a little bit. It was bone stock can stock susp be adjusted more plush. Thank you guys for any answers.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Welcome, Sport Shift (SS) and paddle shift are the same. Your only other option is the full manual three peddle car (sport shifts are two peddle). You really need to look at 2019+ SE car. The improvements are worth the extra money. The suspension on the 2019 SE cars have been improved and the ride quality is much better than the earlier models.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome, Sport Shift (SS) and paddle shift are the same. Your only other option is the full manual three peddle car (sport shifts are two peddle). You really need to look at 2019+ SE car. The improvements are worth the extra money. The suspension on the 2019 SE cars have been improved and the ride quality is much better than the earlier models.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you have found a 19 with 30 miles stock sport shift . Im a manual shift guy but need this auto for Lady of the house. Thank you

·
Registered
21 Posts
Like leadmic said, its the same. And i also agree with the opinion on the 19. I drove a 2016 manual trans and have now my 19... you can feel the improvements. The only thing.... the SS dont like it when the engine is cold. We have now about 0 degree and when i want to drive i allways let the engine run for about 2 mins. When i try to drive with a cold engine the clutch dont engage that smooth and also the shifts are not that fast.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So Im hoping to get the used 19 other then first start up cold. The auto trans reliable? wont be doing any crazy stuff with it. As save that for my dirt bikes

·
Registered
107 Posts
Like leadmic said, its the same. And i also agree with the opinion on the 19. I drove a 2016 manual trans and have now my 19... you can feel the improvements. The only thing.... the SS dont like it when the engine is cold. We have now about 0 degree and when i want to drive i allways let the engine run for about 2 mins. When i try to drive with a cold engine the clutch dont engage that smooth and also the shifts are not that fast.
The cold running goes away if you do a tune. I hated the cold start on my 19, it had to idle forever to get it off the trailer. After the Alba tune, start it up, give it 10 seconds, and drive away

·
Registered
439 Posts
They are cold blooded beasts, but a tune definitely makes them drive-able sooner. I warm 'em up real good for at least 10 min or 150F before I run. Sometimes in the desert that only takes a couple minutes... lol. If I had one major wonder why on my machines is why no temp gauge. First thing to add IMO.... Razorback properly installed is my recommendation.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Three peddles work better hot too.... a lot better....

·
Registered
21 Posts
Until now i never had any tune done to mine (its a little difficult when you life in germany and you dont have suchs shops here^^) but you only need to send the ECU itself.

The autoclutch is in my optinion reliable but i dont to a lot crazy things (next year i will drive to a offroad park and will stress test i a little ;) ). I mostly do a trail/ dunes riding style where my rpm's is between 3000-8000 rpm.

I read and watched a lot of videos to get the right maschine for me. Also ride the cvt maschines for testing. I have now 1700km with no issues. But you need to remember, its a auto clutch, now a automatic transmission. For example when you are on a hill and relese the break then you roll backwards. The only thing i really hate about this system is to drive reverse. I needed a lot of time to get used to it and now im only "ok" with it. It even gets harder when you need to drive upwards in reverse. To drive forward it is easy when you compare to backwards^^ dont know why.

As i said i read a lot and watched videos that im sure i vuy the right thing. And i listen to the tipps and have no issues until now. For example when you need to stop on a hill, either on street or track, i allways let the vehicles in front get a little distance. And i mostly drive in front of the others because i allways try to not let the clutch disengage to mutch. So im allways a little faster the them.

I get the maschine because of the way it drives. The "hard" shifting let you feel like you are in a race car. The 3 cylinder endinge + transmission makes a really race like sound which i like. And of corse the driving style. Its a lot different and in my opinion better. And i bought the SS version first because of lazyness. And when i ride it a little i liked it more then the manual. When you ride at a little speed and you going trough woops and stuff (and also hill up) it could be difficult to get the right and fast shiftig. With the ss you dont have this "problem". But to be honest, the manual shiftig would be more fun.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thank you I'm a die hard manual shift guy. As my two 4x4s and Toyota off road racer all manual trans. Of course my dirt bikes same. I also have a atv kfx 700 auto belt drive. Hate the belt drive as it is dangerous for novice to drive. I noticed driving the 800 razor going down steep trails in hi range
It free wheels also but in low range very little free wheel. Since I'm buying one for the lady to drive half the time. It has to be without clutch as she does not even know . How to drive any thing except so far the 800 razor

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thank you I'm a die hard manual shift guy. As my two 4x4s and Toyota off road racer all manual trans. Of course my dirt bikes same. I also have a atv kfx 700 auto belt drive. Hate the belt drive as it is dangerous for novice to drive. I noticed driving the 800 razor going down steep trails in hi range
It free wheels also but in low range very little free wheel. Since I'm buying one for the lady to drive half the time. It has to be without clutch as she does not even know . How to drive any thing except so far the 800 razor

·
Registered
20 Posts
She can learn to drive a clutch and its a valuable skill to have. There are less parts to deal with in the full manual car and to me that = a better chance of reliability. I think you will like either one though. I just did 5 days in Baja and really enjoyed how mine worked. It was more of a challenge in the really technical stuff than my friends RZR's but I enjoyed the challenge and in the end I made it every were they did. The shifting is so much fun and sounds way better than the steady BRRRRRRRR of a cvt style car.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I agree 💯 ha ha. In this lady case just to teach razor 800. To this lady has me more scared then 50 years of off road.she can't drive a clutch My big question is only if reliable. As only for me yes clutch

1 - 20 of 61 Posts