Yamaha YXZ Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
1,076 Posts
Wheel bearing or CV joint would be my first guesses. Does it get worse with higher speeds or it goes away over 35?

· Registered
1,076 Posts
My guess is a failing wheel bearing. CV would be more consistent. Grab the CV shaft and see if you feel any play in the CV joint at all.

· Registered
2019 YXZ SS SE
1,151 Posts
Did you recently install a light bar? I had a similar noise after installing a cage and light bar. It turned out that the fins on the light bar would vibrate at speeds over 35 mph and make a harmonic noise that I was sure was a bearing going out. I ran beads of silicone across the fins and the noise was gone.

Reactions: sandman89

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Did you recently install a light bar? I had a similar noise after installing a cage and light bar. It turned out that the fins on the light bar would vibrate at speeds over 35 mph and make a harmonic noise that I was sure was a bearing going out. I ran beads of silicone across the fins and the noise was gone.
I recently put some a pillar pod lights on but I can hear the noise behind me when I’m driving

· Registered
432 Posts
id imagine it could be a number of things
did it just start or is it something that has been happening since youve owned it? if its new, check the CVs and wheel bearings, then go on to the driveshaft and anything that could cause harmonic resonance. hell even the exhaust clamps can cause what your describing.

if its been going on since day one its likely the throwout bearing which is normal to make noise or the straight cut gears as these trans do sound very different that any other direct drive offroad vehicle out there

· Registered
2019 YXZ SS SE
1,151 Posts
Try taping a cloth around the pods and go for a ride and see if it makes a difference. The light bar I mentioned sounded like it was coming from the rear also. Who knows it's worth a shot. Start with anything new that has been added or changed from before the noise and eliminate it. Defiantly check to see if you feel anything loose in the rear end.

Reactions: roofintrash
1 - 9 of 9 Posts