Yamaha YXZ Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys. I've been using etrac type straps over the tires to keep the YXZ secure while transporting. I like the system much better than the old ratchet straps with hooks for several reasons. But, I think there might be something even better.

What system do you guys use and like?

I'm thinking of going with set of Mac straps. I can't decide if I want the regular Pro Pack Premium Tie Down Strap Kit
pro-pack-tie-down-kit-popup.jpg

the same thing I already have Tire Block Strap Pack
twisted-snap-hook-option-side-popup.jpg

Or the SxS specific system UTV (Side by Side) Wheel Net Pack
wheel-nets-on-utv-large.jpg

There might even be something better. If so, I'd really appreciate pics or links.

Thanks,

Buck

·
Registered
429 Posts
I just use 2 regular over the tire straps, nothing fancy and it was only like 50$. The stuff you have on there is nice but jesus its expensive

·
Registered
131 Posts
Im interested in this as well, That pro pack system looks nice but wouldnt work with certain wheels, I don't think they would fit through mine. I like that wheel net setup though. I very rarely haul mine, I barely do anything lol, just throw one 2in. Strap through the frame behind the bumper, crank it down and I'm on my way haha.

·
Registered
398 Posts
The Mac straps are worth every penny IMO. The ratchet never locks up with the teeth on the outside, the safety latches can't come loose and the built-in axle straps are nice. I have the regular first kit you posted plus the chain extensions. If my trailer was dedicated for my rig only and I didn't get muddy, I would consider the tire straps but I'm always hauling all kinds of stuff. The last time I went to a local off road park, the guy I parked beside was already unstrapping when I parked. I was off my trailer and had my straps put up before he even backed off his trailer. I also had 4 straps on.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
4000 lb motorcycle tie downs times 4. Never had a problem ever on an open or closed trailer. Same on a dirtbike or ATV. I get them on sale from Rocky Mtn. ATV & mc for $18 x two

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
I worked in the port of Long Beach and we used those over the tire straps to tie down autos . Had to use that style because most cars don't have tie down access points available so you have no choice. When we loaded trucks we just used ratchet straps to the axels . It was faster and the straps were cheaper and did the same thing .

·
Registered
69 Posts
305E6F7A-B3BC-4C5A-986D-C57543A99A47.jpeg . I use some like your first set on each corner when on top of my truck. On my trailer I attach to a winch point I put under the front wheels & a 2nd strap around the 2 frame tubes on the back

·
Registered
78 Posts
I use the following. Affordable and easy to setup and costs about $30 a set.

Erickson tie down kit.JPG

Not the best picture but you get the idea. I bought 2 sets so all 4 tires can be secure. Overkill but I don't have to worry about a strap sliding off of a muddy/icy tire.

Tie down on trailer.jpg

·
Registered
398 Posts
Hi guys. I've been using etrac type straps over the tires to keep the YXZ secure while transporting. I like the system much better than the old ratchet straps with hooks for several reasons. But, I think there might be something even better.

What system do you guys use and like?

I'm thinking of going with set of Mac straps. I can't decide if I want the regular Pro Pack Premium Tie Down Strap Kit
View attachment 112270

the same thing I already have Tire Block Strap Pack
View attachment 112272

Or the SxS specific system UTV (Side by Side) Wheel Net Pack
View attachment 112268

There might even be something better. If so, I'd really appreciate pics or links.

Thanks,

Buck
Actually I use the UTV kit, not the auto kit like the first one you posted. The axle straps are built in to the ratchet not separate.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Actually I use the UTV kit, not the auto kit like the first one you posted. The axle straps are built in to the ratchet not separate.
Yeah, that kit looks nice. But since I just bought a 20ft trailer, I figure that I might put a actual car or truck on it once in a while. The straps could do double duty. Do you think the ATV set would be ok with cars?

Also, which anchor points did you go with? I really don't know which way to go with them.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I use the following. Affordable and easy to setup and costs about $30 a set.

View attachment 112282

Not the best picture but you get the idea. I bought 2 sets so all 4 tires can be secure. Overkill but I don't have to worry about a strap sliding off of a muddy/icy tire.

View attachment 112284
That setup is what I have right now. On the whole, I really like it, but my only beef with it is the Etrac gets filled up with crap and sometimes I can't get the buckle thingie to latch into the Etrac without some hassle. It was especially bad this winter with all of the snow and ice freeezing in the Etrac.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Yeah, that kit looks nice. But since I just bought a 20ft trailer, I figure that I might put a actual car or truck on it once in a while. The straps could do double duty. Do you think the ATV set would be ok with cars?

Also, which anchor points did you go with? I really don't know which way to go with them.
I haul mine on a 20' and use the chain extensions through the stake pockets. I use them to haul a 60hp tractor also. No problems. Think the UTV straps were a min of 5k each and also 2" wide. http://www.macscustomtiedowns.com/product/side-by-side-utv-tie-down-pack/UTV-Tiedown-Solutions - With chain extensions

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I just use 2 regular over the tire straps, nothing fancy and it was only like 50$. The stuff you have on there is nice but jesus its expensive
Yeah, the price makes my wallet pucker. However, the company has a stellar reputation. They make their products in Idaho. And seem to be very high quality.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
715 Posts
View attachment 112280 . I use some like your first set on each corner when on top of my truck. On my trailer I attach to a winch point I put under the front wheels & a 2nd strap around the 2 frame tubes on the back
Now that's one of the wildest I've seen! I put two on an 18ft trailer. There's not much room, but that takes the cake!! Rock On....

·
Registered
398 Posts
I haul mine on a 20' and use the chain extensions through the stake pockets. I use them to haul a 60hp tractor also. No problems. Think the UTV straps were a min of 5k each and also 2" wide. UTV (Side by Side) Tie Down Pack - With chain extensions
I think you might have me sold on these. Now the only question is...do I get the HD version for $15.00 more? 8' 10k straps with chain extensions for $215.00
Super Pack Tie Down Kit with Integrated Axle Straps
Think mine only came in 8' and is a good length. The integrated axle straps are 1 less piece to loose and easier to hookup. If u have stake pockets the chain extensions are great.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I do have stake pockets. I ordered a set.

Reactions: dgarris

·
Registered
429 Posts
Yeah, the price makes my wallet pucker. However, the company has a stellar reputation. They make their products in Idaho. And seem to be very high quality.
I bought mine from harbor frieght. 26$ for one so about 52 for the set. These are the stock pics and this is for a car. They work great and havent had any issues

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have a small trailer my buddy built for his sandrail, fits perfectly and can still fit the girls dirt bikes on the front. I bought ratchet straps from Home Depot and removed the hooks on both ends. In the rear, I slide the strap under the plastic under the bed and around the roll cage, through the eyelet on the trailer and ratchet down (cross straps). In the front, cross straps through front push bar and back to trailer. I trimmed and marked the straps so no extra strap to deal with. The only issue I foresee is the strap rubbing away the paint during towing if the cage is dirty but since I'm not going to enter into any Concourse Car Shows in the future, I really don't care. I have a 2019 YXZ. Hope this helps.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts