Yamaha YXZ Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
As I read through these threads, I see a lot of people very upset about the gearbox noise - some saying they won't buy one because of it. And we all know there is HP on the table by uncorking the exhaust and letting it breathe. I'm all for more power, but I like my peace and quiet too. Ears ringing at the end of the day from engine and wind noise isn't cool.

My suggestion is an intercom system. For about $1000, you can get an awesome system from PCI or Rugged Radios. You can you use headphones without a helmet or earbuds with a helmet. The system allows you to A) dampen potentially damaging external noise, B) talk to your co-pilot, C), listen to music via phone, ipod, etc., and D) talk to other people if you add a VHF radio (other vehicles or a base camp). These are standard items is most offroad racecars now.

I have an Ultra 4 buggy with a loud LS1 I don't want to ride in it without hearing protection, especially on the dunes when you're hammering on it a lot. The intercom made it very comfortable for us (my wife and I) to ride in. She listens to her music and the music automatically mutes when we talk. We never have to shout at each other. It's wonderful.

Something to think about for people that didn't know these things exist.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I haven't studied the dash layout too much to see what is available, but hopefully they come up with some nice ways to mount one so it looks integrated.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't think the drop mount would work very well like they do for the Polaris. It would have to be under the passenger grab bar.

·
Registered
831 Posts
I stuck my Rugged Radio / intercom in the Teryx glove box to protect it from water.

The Teryx has noisy, straight-cut gears as well We used both helmet mounted ear pieces as well as their headsets. We prefer the noise attenuation of the headsets but my wife insists on good head protection for when our pals' RZR kick up a spray of rocks.

There is an aircraft-style helmet that allows the headset to be mounted on them. Pricey, however.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I'm just using my motorcycle system attached to my helmet.
But, I don't think it's overly noisy in the cockpit. I guess more ride time will be needed.

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
I also think it will be very easy to mount some sound pad material underneath the center console to deaden the sound from the tranny. Of course, it really depends on how loud it is.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
We prefer the noise attenuation of the headsets but my wife insists on good head protection for when our pals' RZR kick up a spray of rocks.
We very much prefer helmets. So much that we sold the headsets. Protect your head from crashes. Protect your face / eyes from roost, blowing sand, mud, water, etc. Protect your eyes from the sun with a tinted shield.

I did not like the headsets only because if you try to wear sunglasses with them, the headsets squeezing the glasses against your head hurts after a couple hours. We disliked them so much I sold them and we only have the helmets now.

Helmet Personal protective equipment Suit actor Fictional character Vehicle

·
Registered
160 Posts
K
We very much prefer helmets. So much that we sold the headsets. Protect your head from crashes. Protect your face / eyes from roost, blowing sand, mud, water, etc. Protect your eyes from the sun with a tinted shield.

I did not like the headsets only because if you try to wear sunglasses with them, the headsets squeezing the glasses against your head hurts after a couple hours. We disliked them so much I sold them and we only have the helmets.
We used to have the same problem
Then we bought some very high end helmets with the motorcycle communicators and problem solved.
Speakers sit wired in behind the helmet foam (have cut outs for the speakers as well).
We've ridden thousands of miles cross country with this set up.
With sun glasses, no sunglasses, helmets half up etc.
Music piped in off the I-phone, easy conversations.
I don't know, I'd be hard pressed to give it up.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Glad they're working out for you. :) How far apart will they communicate? When I used to snowmobile a lot more, I've heard several people say they would never be without them after using them once.

Before the ear buds, we tried the helmet speakers and hated them. The speakers went in the pockets for your ears and, although then, took up too much of it. You couldn't get the helmet on without folding over your ears, then had to poke your finger through the front of the helmet to poke your ears back up. And we couldn't hear very well. And they didn't dampen the noise at all. That was a $200 mistake that only took an hour to realize. :(

·
Registered
160 Posts
They are only good for .6 miles but we use the blue tooth for cell phones which is wherever cell towers exist.
Of course my wife is next to me so no issue.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Yea we always use an intercom/radio setup in our RZR's. I plan to do that on a yxz as well. Where we ride in the desert they work perfect. Ive been about 15 miles away from another rig and could communicate, helps keep the dust down between rigs. And being able to listen to some music as you ride is always nice.

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
Yea we always use an intercom/radio setup in our RZR's. I plan to do that on a yxz as well. Where we ride in the desert they work perfect. Ive been about 15 miles away from another rig and could communicate, helps keep the dust down between rigs. And being able to listen to some music as you ride is always nice.
It changes the whole riding experience, for the better. IMO

·
Registered
64 Posts
what a bunch of BS!...if you know how to shift it does not go clunk when shifted!!!..........I figured out how to eliminate the clunk in the first 20 shifts...........the clunk goes immediately away when driven and shifted properly folks.....

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
what a bunch of BS!...if you know how to shift it does not go clunk when shifted!!!..........I figured out how to eliminate the clunk in the first 20 shifts...........the clunk goes immediately away when driven and shifted properly folks.....
That's not the gearbox noise most are referring to. It's gear whine when driving 40 MPH or faster. It's because it has straight cut gears. Common in the Can-Am Commanders too.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Try to tell that to my wife. Oh, you said shift correctly. Got it.

The whole drivetrain is noisy. Just is what it is. Doesn't make me slow down. Just speed up so the wind can drown it out. And the passing sounds of Polaris engines that I whizz by.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts