Yamaha YXZ Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
There isn't any way to answer that question without more information.

You might want to surf / search the electrical and lighting forum for the answer to that question. That way you can find information specific to the equipment you plan to install.

Nate

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
I tested my 2016 when it was new . It put out 45amps at 5000 rpms. You’ll be fine .

·
Registered
136 Posts

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
I can't remember where it was that I read it but the info stated the YXZ's OEM charging system only produces 650 W, so it wouldn't be real hard to over load a stock system. The fans pull a pretty good load.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I can't remember where it was that I read it but the info stated the YXZ's OEM charging system only produces 650 W, so it wouldn't be real hard to over load a stock system. The fans pull a pretty good load.
That corresponds to the 50A quoted earlier. Watts/Volts=amps (650/14=46) which based on loss plus vehicle draw doesn't leave a whole lot of surplus. Since LED light bars can vary widely in amp draw plus a pulsing (strobe) load then add radio and whips. You could find yourself out of amps and in the dark.
Nate

·
Registered
422 Posts
If I remember the 2019+ have more stator because of the two radiator fans, but I don't know if they have more or less reserve than the earlier modles.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Funny thing is I came on here to ask the same thing right now.

I have a 2019, and I'm going to wire in a light bar, rear light bar, 2 whips and sound bar.

So what is the proper way forward, alternator?
2nd battery?
Both!??

My wallet is already dry!! 🤣🤣

·
Registered
83 Posts
Alternator. Second battery is still just borrowed reserve.
Idling it appeared that I had enough amperage for 6 BD squadron sports, and a 10" onyx6 bar, radio, intercom pa. However once I started driving, the voltage was dropping into the 11v range. I think the EPS uses more amp's than expected. I bought and have yet to install a BD alternator.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Many variables in this.
  • LED whips draw nothing - not a big deal.
  • A 60 watt radio is nothing - unless you talk a lot. Power is used for transmitting, not so much receiving.
  • Radiator fans use 40-80 watts. If it's hot, they are on most the time. Cool and driving fast - not as much fan work.
Here's my 0.02 and what my 19 has.

(2) radiator fans.
(3) BD lights.
(2) A-pillar lights.
(1) Lighted whip.
60 watt radio and PCI intercom.
Yamaha Adventure Pro GPS.

But I shut them off and idle for a minute when I stop.
And I carry a Costco quick jump just in case, but have never needed it.
I've never seen the voltage drop below 13.5 vdc.
You need to be approx 13.7 to charge the battery.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Many variables in this.
  • LED whips draw nothing - not a big deal.
  • A 60 watt radio is nothing - unless you talk a lot. Power is used for transmitting, not so much receiving.
  • Radiator fans use 40-80 watts. If it's hot, they are on most the time. Cool and driving fast - not as much fan work.
Here's my 0.02 and what my 19 has.

(2) radiator fans.
(3) BD lights.
(2) A-pillar lights.
(1) Lighted whip.
60 watt radio and PCI intercom.
Yamaha Adventure Pro GPS.

But I shut them off and idle for a minute when I stop.
And I carry a Costco quick jump just in case, but have never needed it.
I've never seen the voltage drop below 13.5 vdc.
You need to be approx 13.7 to charge the battery.
View attachment 115411
I think you'd be surprised.

If your running 1 whip (30 watts), 3 LED lamps (3 x 40 =120 watts) and radio (60 watts) you're drawing approximately 210 watts off a 650 watt alternator. roughly 1/3 of what is available for the entire vehicle. If your A pillar lights are on your at 290, almost 1/2 of whats available.

As for the fans. We run at temps down around 10* F, they run almost continuously, and we aren't running slow.

IIRC the fan draw starts at 80w each. if your running aftermarket single, they draw closer to 180w.

Nate

·
Registered
249 Posts

If your running 1 whip (30 watts), 3 LED lamps (3 x 40 =120 watts) and radio (60 watts) you're drawing approximately 210 watts off a 650 watt alternator. roughly 1/3 of what is available for the entire vehicle. If your A pillar lights are on your at 290, almost 1/2 of whats available.

As for the fans. We run at temps down around 10* F, they run almost continuously, and we aren't running slow.

IIRC the fan draw starts at 80w each. if your running aftermarket single, they draw closer to 180w.

Nate
Someone inquired and asked about how much output is available.
I gave him an example of what I run.

After running that set up for (1) year, I would be surprised if I had a problem.
On that point, you're right.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Sorry, didn't mean to come across that you were wrong.

Just trying to point out how quickly it all adds up.

I'm as guilty as the rest of taxing the stator with supporting far too much. If I turned on all the accessories at once I'd be pulling 310 watts.

We typically run either a 9" light bar (40w), or 22" (120w) and 2 whips (60w). In winter seat heaters add 100w. Total of 200/280 watts. I'm comfortable running one battery with a standard alternator. That said, I added safeguards to make sure that you couldn't run everything at once. A simple relay means you either get the 9" light bar or the 22", but not both. A voltage sense relay drops the accessories if voltage drops too low.

Seems to be working so far. I haven't gotten a call from the wife of her being stranded with a dead battery.

·
Registered
52 Posts

Nate
dont forget the helmet and seat belt reminder lights! (0,8Watt each) ;) :D

1 - 20 of 50 Posts